which should be done first, weights or run?

Options
I'm currently going to the gym 3 days a week, and when I go, I usually am doing stronglifts 5x5 and then running on the indoor track. I'm not sure if this is the best order to do the exercises in though, or whether I should be doing both in the same workout at all. What are your thoughts? I'm feeling that my body is going to struggle no matter what goes first, but I want to get the best outcomes from what I do. Thanks!

Replies

• XoChelsea3
    XoChelsea3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've read weights first is usually best. Something to do with glycogen or something. Cardio really depleats it so you can't put your full effort into weights.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Everyone says do weights first, but personally i run first and then weights. My energy is the same either way.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Weights first, so you can do them safely and with the proper effort level.
    Do a full-body warm up prior like a few minutes on the elliptical or rower (not running), or, even better, a few warmup sets of the lifts you will do that day.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There is evidence to suggest that 15 minutes of moderate weight/resistance training revs up the metabolism for the next several hours, giving a slight boost in calories burned during activities happening after the metabolic changes caused by muscle activation. These sorts of studies suggest that doing cardio after weights can results in a slightly higher number (usually measured by an average % vs. control group) of calories burned during after-strength-training sessions.

However, it's not a significant difference. There's also studies which suggest circuit training yields faster results by mixing intervals of strength with bursts of cardio.

There's also evidence that doing the same patterns in training can cause a body to adjust to habit, and that switching up the order in which you do exercises can be beneficial to increase overall fitness ("muscle confusion").

They all have at least some merit, but when it gets down to it, which ever way you do it, as long as you're doing both (strength and cardio), your body will benefit. Just do it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Do you want to be a better lifter or a better runner?

Which every one you want I would put that first.

If you are running just for the health benefits and/or to eat more calories in the day, I would lift first. You will get better gains lifting this way.

If you are using lifting to cross train your running and you are working on speed that particular day, I would run first.

Which ever you choice the other will always suffer to a degree.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    5 min warm up, weights then cardio…..
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

If you are running just for the health benefits and/or to eat more calories in the day, I would lift first. You will get better gains lifting this way.

If you are using lifting to cross train your running and you are working on speed that particular day, I would run first.

This is good advice.

I'm a distance runner but lifting is my priority right now. I do HIIT for 15 minutes after I lift. The next day, I do a distance run. Recover and repeat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio first, I don't lift as well. And since I consider weights more important than running, I make weights first priority.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, at a calorific deficit, you're not going to put on significant muscle mass, though may gain a bit of strength.

Usual advice is to do weights first, but as above - if you want to focus on the running, you can do that.

I prefer to either do them alternate days or seperate by a good many hours.

I've been surprised to find that I actually do ok with weights if I've done a long run earlier in the same day - usually 6-8 hours earlier. Possibly better than doing weights the day after a long run.

Also do the reverse, with weights earlier, then a run.

For me, I decided that while at a deficit I would be happy to focus on cardio more - as the weights were just a rear-guard action to maintain muscle, while I could still make decent improvements in cardio performance. So, I didn't worry too much if my weights suffered a bit.
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options

^ +1
    I agree with the above statement. I think it does depend on what your goals are.
    That being said, in my opinion I think you can still focus on both (gains and distance), and if that's what your goal is then I'm in the same boat as you.
    My routine right now is mainly long distance running and some strength training/cross training to help with strength and endurance for my runs and probably will be for the rest of April (so I can get back into the habit of running and get a good base to go off of).

Starting in May I'll be splitting my workouts into A week and B week.
    A week I'll be running atleast 2x a week and 1 day for weight lifting
    B week I'll be weight lifting atleast 2x a week and 1 day for running
    Then just alternative every week.
    So another option is that you can do them on different days rather than squeeze them in all at once in one workout. Results might be a little slower (can't say for sure), but atleast in this way you can focus on one thing completely.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think overall I'd prefer to be stronger, the running is really a secondary thing i'm trying to incorporate, in order to increase my stamina overall. The only reason I can't split it to do lifting one day and running the next, is because I'm also doing taekwondo three days a week. So that limits the number of times I can go to the gym in a week. Taekwondo takes the precedence in my mind, then lifting, then running. I was just making sure if i'm going to do both running and lifting in a single day, that i'm doing it in the right order and not sabotaging myself completely. Thanks for all the responses!