How to Log in on Bad Days

Options
124»

Replies

• Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Yesterday and today I stuffed my face with all sorts of yummies, cake and alcohol being the worst offenders. It's not normal practice but I went well above 4000 cals which is tons over what I would normally eat/drink. I think it's important as I personally like to check my MFP reports and when I gain I can see why instead of moaning that I've put on half a stone I can see my reports and take accountability for it. Lots of my MFP buddies have decided not to log today which is their choice but why only log the good days? Ur only cheating yourself in my opinion. I log it, regret it and move on.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love this thread so much. I am so guilty of not logging because I don't want to see that negative RED number.....but this is why I am not losing weight but gaining.

I am starting fresh tomorrow and holding myself accountable. Just because I don't log it, doesn't mean it wasn't eaten!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Log it I. And maybe do a quick workout or a walk? I started doing workouts in the morning on holidays so i will think about what I'm eating before I eat it that day. Don't stress about it. Just one day isn't gonna ruin things.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    bump.

and to whoever wrote the "the extra slice of pizza goes into the next day" you are officially "mcgyver for the day" ...brilliant!
  • redles13
    redles13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love this thread and the advice many have given... It all counts and it all matters....So log, log, log and log some more....It definitely helps to keep your mind and your body right...
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    blah blah blah...........you don't have to..........just get back to the game the next day.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The days I don't log are planned. Yesterday was my birthday, and I decided that just for that one day, I'd just enjoy my food without weighing or measuring every damn bite. I ate some wonderful things, and I'll be extra careful for the rest of the week and not expect to lose as much as I otherwise might. But that day I just had to have the huge thing of caramel corn? It's in there, as are the dinners with friends when I couldn't resist the extra drink...or two...or three. I think it helps that I don't let myself feel guilty about those days, just remember not to do it all the time.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Log for damage control and to have the data. There will be bad days, it is inevitable!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this harshly.

You are only hurting your progress by not logging those bad days. For me, seeing those numbers in black and white were often the catalyst to making the right decision the next time, because it did not allow for denial of the harm they were causing and how I was hindering my progress.

Do I still have bad days? Yep. But I know exactly what I'm doing when I do.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I never report my food/exercise on the days where I ate poorly and didn't exercise. I hate watching all my calories go into the red - I know the answer to this problem is to eat better/less and to exercise more. How do you log in on days likes this?
    I report it all, the good, the bad and the ugly. It hurts to log bad days and it should. I don't want to look away, I want to confront it.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and log as accurately as I can. Then I shave a hundred calories off my maintenance per day until my weight goes back to where I want it. I'm in maintenance tho. I didn't "cheat" during loss. If I had "cheated" during loss I'd go back to the weight I was before the "cheat".
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I never report my food/exercise on the days where I ate poorly and didn't exercise. I hate watching all my calories go into the red - I know the answer to this problem is to eat better/less and to exercise more. How do you log in on days likes this?
    I report it all, the good, the bad and the ugly. It hurts to log bad days and it should. I don't want to look away, I want to confront it.
    ^This. Learning to make better food and fitness choices is part of the process. If you don't log in anything that disappoints you, how will you ever grow and succeed?
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would log them anyway. It will help you learn from your mistakes and it will also help you determine how much you went over by. Some restaurants have super high calories. Like 3,000 for one entree (not including salad/soup, dessert, drinks or any other meals that were eaten that same day)! Those high numbers are important to log and it's very dangerous to have cheat days where you don't log your stuff. Red isn't easy to see but you need it to track patterns and also to know how much to cut out for the next week (or more) to make up for those extra calories.

It is important to keep moving forward. We all have good days and bad days. Know that tomorrow is a new day and when tomorrow comes make sure you end up on green.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I log it. But I do not hit to complete my diary. So I can see what I have had, and watch the result on the scale, if there is any, but I do not share it with others unless they happen to check regardless of whether I hit complete logging. It is just a number, a piece of information, not some big sign of failure.