Unhappy Mom/Wife

Options
I need help..I am always unhappy and easily upset. I have an awesome husband and 2 little girls. I am also at least 100lbs overweight. I have never enjoyed exercise and lead a fairly sedintary lifestyle. I would prefer not to ask my doctor to put me on depression meds. This is what I want to know...will exercising and losing weight make me feel better? Not just physically but more importantly will I be a happier person?

Replies

• jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It has made me happier. I am a SAHM to 3 boys and my mood has improved a lot.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well, exercise does make your brain release endorphins. It also distracts you from the day's irritations by simply being focused on the activity. :flowerforyou:
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's highly likely that it can. I know in my case, it definitely helped. Everybody comments on how happy I seem now. Will it "fix" everything? No, but it can't hurt to try it to see how you feel and chances are you'll be a little happier with yourself at least.

You have to REALLY want it and be ready or you won't stick with it.

Good luck.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Exercise releases natural endorphins which will make you feel good - if you do this on a daily basis - you can feel good every day.

Some people need meds as their brain chemicals are not working properly. I am on anxiety meds because I have debilitating anxiety without them - however, being on the meds has made it much more difficult to take the weight off.

As hard as it is to start exercising - when I'm done, I feel AMAZING. You can't put a price on that!

Try taking a nice walk with your kids to explore - go slow, at their pace. Each day try to walk a little longer. Then when you feel you are walking too far with them, shorten the walk to their ability and have your husband watch them at a different time and take that longer walk for YOU. That way you are getting two great walks in - one for you - and one for them.

It's little changes that add up to big losses
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes me happier every day that I do it. If I miss a day, I feel upset again
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Depression meds should be a last resort.

Adapt a healthier lifestyle first.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My experience with antidepresives meds made me numb. I was only one temperature. Very apathetic. I lost my creativity and passion. They did help with anxiety some. I worried less and did not have lows or highs. I was able to just brush things off more.

You may have to try a few to get the right dosage and one for you.

Wish you luck.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I need help..I am always unhappy and easily upset. I have an awesome husband and 2 little girls. I am also at least 100lbs overweight. I have never enjoyed exercise and lead a fairly sedintary lifestyle. I would prefer not to ask my doctor to put me on depression meds. This is what I want to know...will exercising and losing weight make me feel better? Not just physically but more importantly will I be a happier person?
    You will be a thinner person if you lose weight, but you will not be any happier.

If you have been diagnosed with depression, find a therapist.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, my exercise time is my favorite/best time of the day. I walk 6x/week and strength train 3x/week. It is the only time that I am doing something 100% for me and for me only.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Doing something for yourself and for your own health will definitely make you feel better about yourself, but we can't predict to which degree. We should never rely on a single thing for our happiness (e.g. weightloss...), I like to think about it as an "extra" good thing that happened to my life and helped me to enjoy it better. I say definitely do it for yourself and your children, weight loss is very important while speaking about health. Anyway, if you feel like you can't do it all alone don't be ashamed to ask for help to a professional... human beings need to interact with each other and reaching for help is indispensible for us. Just do what's best for you and build your happiness step by step! :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    You will be a thinner person if you lose weight, but you will not be any happier.

If you have been diagnosed with depression, find a therapist.

^^Yes, this.^^
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Medication for diagnosed mental disorders should be taken as appropriate, not never, and not as a last resort. Would you get a broken arm set only as a last resort? I would see a qualified mental health professional and get some help with depression. That doesn't necessarily mean medication, but can include cognitive behavior therapy.

Life does not have to be so hard.
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    legally+blonde+gif.gif

Yes, I think exercise helps mood tremendously. It won't do much for clinical depression, but if you are experiencing situational depression, it can help. Just having that time to yourself to focus on you is wonderful, and scheduling exercise into your day can be a great motivator to get the rest of your life organized as well. Losing weight just makes you feel better physically and mentally in general, but as a mom, it's nice to be able to tick off some check boxes (do workout, logging food, staying under calories) and know that task is done for the day when so much of your day-to-day activities are endless chores like dishes, laundry, or cleaning up after people.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Short answer: YES! Have been right where you are
  • jeanholly
    jeanholly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, find a therapist. You needn't commit to taking anti-depressants. Try talk therapy first.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    OP - talk to your doctor and consider seeing a therapist. Diet and exercise alone is probably not going to solve your issues.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    For me exercise is "me" time, it improves my mood, my health and my body so I do believe it is good for you. Happiness and sadness is in the way you choose to look at things. I do not like mood altering drugs but agree some people may need them. If you haven't tried the all natural approach like choosing to be happier, eating right, exercising etc then maybe you should try talking to a doctor, life is too short to be sad!
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I'm stressed out college kid/house wife. I feel better when I do things like yoga and cardio regularly. It SUCKS getting started, but once you do, you'll see changes in your moods!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes, it's worth a try. do it for your awesome husband and kids