Let down by a food you'd be craving forever?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Today we went to the Cheesecake Factory, and I had some of their cheesecake for the first time since I started this, 15 months ago. I went for the plain one in order to 'save' calories... and I was actually kinda disappointed. It was good, but for 710 calories (I asked for no whipped cream, don't know if it changes the calorie count or not), frankly the last two cheesecakes I've had (one from Brio Tuscan Grille and one from a small PA cheesecake bakery) were much better (although probably more calories!).

Good thing I guess, next time I crave some cheesecake I'll make my 250 calorie single serving one, or buy a slice at Wegmans for 550 calories instead (it is really good). I don't suppose anyone knows any delicious cheesecakes at less than 300 calories a slice? ;)

Has it happened to anyone else? It's like Snickers, I got 4 coupons for a free one a couple months ago and bought an almond one, and I was SO unimpressed.

Meh. MFP has made me a food snob.

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    we just went out for our anniversary dinner, to a place we havent been to in a few years (very expensive) and no i was not disappointed.

filet mignon, sweet potato fires with honey, broccoli, and for dessert, an ooey gooey cinnamon tortilla filled with what must have been 1.5-2 CUPS haagen daaz vanilla ice cream, with salted caramel sauce all over it, and whipped cream too.

this thing is so good i've literally dreamt about it. incredible. totally worth the calorie bomb.

too bad it's so expensive there, we spent 100 bucks for two people, with NO booze. it'll be a while before we get to go back.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I was not disappointed at all at my anniversary dinner. Birthday was ok, although dessert was a bit of a let down too.

The shrimp tacos I got at lunch were delicious though.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I mean, I was kind of a food snob before, but now I'm turning into one of _those_ people.

But hmm, specifically.

Bread is a big one. I loved bread. I still love bread. But I get a little fancy bakery bread now and everything else tastes cheap. Pasta, too. I get or make the fresh stuff and eat way less.

I used to covet these cookies from trader joe's, and now they just kind of make me sad. (Cheddar rockets, however, are still amazing.)

These really ornate salads I used to make. Right. Out.

Hummus. I thought I loved hummus. Turns out I just like salt.

Honestly, most dessert. I used to be a dessert fiend, and it's still the thing I trip up on, but it is a rare day when I have dessert and think it was worthwhile later.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I went months without eating a twix candy bar and when I finally had one it tasted dry and stale. Weeks later I had another and it was the same. A couple weeks ago I was in a different city, tried again, still don't like Twix anymore. I'm sure I'll have many more letdowns to come as I am trying new recipes this week.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Today we went to the Cheesecake Factory, and I had some of their cheesecake for the first time since I started this, 15 months ago. I went for the plain one in order to 'save' calories... and I was actually kinda disappointed. It was good, but for 710 calories (I asked for no whipped cream, don't know if it changes the calorie count or not), frankly the last two cheesecakes I've had (one from Brio Tuscan Grille and one from a small PA cheesecake bakery) were much better (although probably more calories!).

Good thing I guess, next time I crave some cheesecake I'll make my 250 calorie single serving one, or buy a slice at Wegmans for 550 calories instead (it is really good). I don't suppose anyone knows any delicious cheesecakes at less than 300 calories a slice? ;)

Has it happened to anyone else? It's like Snickers, I got 4 coupons for a free one a couple months ago and bought an almond one, and I was SO unimpressed.

Meh. MFP has made me a food snob.

Yes, there was something.... I can't remember now what it was, but I was thinking, "this wasn't how I remembered it". I feel like something has shifted in me, and it sounds like it has happened to you too. I am so curious as to why this is happening to us....
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, yeah. I used to be a fast food junky and totally cut out all fast food when I started eating healthy. Once in a while, I just have a major craving for Taco Bell's crunchy tacos and plain nachos - just the chips and cheese, or McDonald's fries. But then I'll be in a position where I permit myself a cheat, and they're never as tasty as I remember.

The only food I crave that I never feel let down by and only allow myself to eat maybe once a year, tops, is Lou Malnati's pizza.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I was bent on ordering Pizza Hut the other day, like I fantasized about it all day and planned my entire night around like going home, putting on my grossest sweat pants, closing all the windows and turning on a horrible chick flick and ordering my pizza.

It was seriously so gross. Like cardboard! Burnt and dried out and nasty. I ended up trashing it and using the calories on wine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup I am a total food snob now...wouldn't buy cheesecake..I have a great recipe for one..with raspberry sauce. I do like those cheesecake pops I can get at the store tho just for a quick fix (covered in chocolate and salted carmel)

I have only eaten at a couple places where the food was so worth it.

None of them are chains..one is called the vault near my home town...best pasta ever...I mean to die for pasta...the old triangle 2hours from my house...again amazing food (pub style) and there is a greek place about an hour from my house...but they are greek and their food was always worth it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I went months without eating a twix candy bar and when I finally had one it tasted dry and stale. Weeks later I had another and it was the same. A couple weeks ago I was in a different city, tried again, still don't like Twix anymore. I'm sure I'll have many more letdowns to come as I am trying new recipes this week.
    Oh yeah, I was disappointed by a twix. I eat a lot of chocolate, but way smaller portions than I used to. I buy more expensive stuff and savour it more. Every week I get a vending machine coffee while I'm at a night class - the vending machine being right next to one full of chocolate bars. One week I knew I had a lot of calories left over for some reason, and fancied a twix. What a disappointment. It just tasted so sweet, and not chocolatey or caramel-y at all. Just sugar. Its funny, I walk past vending machines now and get a tiny habitual pull of temptation, but when I look at what's in there, I know that I wouldn't even enjoy most of it now.

So yeah. I was a food snob already, but MFP made me worse. Not that I don't still like sweet stuff, but so many products are really not worth the calories any more.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I was bent on ordering Pizza Hut the other day, like I fantasized about it all day and planned my entire night around like going home, putting on my grossest sweat pants, closing all the windows and turning on a horrible chick flick and ordering my pizza.

It was seriously so gross. Like cardboard! Burnt and dried out and nasty. I ended up trashing it and using the calories on wine.

Yeah I had pizza hut a couple months ago and it was salty and disgusting.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've totally been through this. A lot of it is that my tastes have changed. Another part of it is that my body is craving different things now. Also once I realized how unhealthy my relationship with food, particularly sweets and fast food, was I started paying more attention to when I was craving things and making myself look at the nutrition facts. If I track it first and don't feel guilty I will usually go ahead and eat it, if I track it and feel guilty I usually pass and find something else to eat instead. The sad thing is when I do cheat, mostly unplanned, I rarely enjoy it. I find that I will suddenly be able to only taste the shortening, butter, fat, salt, or whatever part of the thing that I am eating is most unappealing. It is really disappointing and makes me wonder what was wrong with me for enjoying this junk before.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Totally has happened to me. I used to love those Tastykake fruit pies - I practically grew up on the damn things. Once I started my journey, though - they were absolutely OUT (they're carb-filled hell for a diabetic). Months went by, I got stabilized, and I was finally able to have one, maybe 18 months later....

...ugh. It was rubbery, flavorless, and the filling was just pure 100 percent sugar. I was completely shocked - and quite honestly, disgusted. I didn't even finish it.

Not everything that I used to crave does it - I still have a horrible addiction to Berger's cookies (hey, it's a Baltimore thing!), but those Tastykake pies? I don't even miss them.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I just had to reply because you mentioned Wegmans! Their chocolate cheesecake is amazing! Since moving away from Wegmans, I sometimes dream about their chocolate cheesecake. Nothing seems to live up to my memory of that cake.

I LOVE that store!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are many foods I haven't had in years because I'm sure my memory of them is better than they actually would be if I ate them.

Sometimes I think of eating them but then I remember all the other crap that used to taste good but was a huge let down when I ate it again and think "What's the point?" So, I choose to just remember them fondly.

Obviously, if I've gone so long without them they weren't all that great even back then.