Horrible form

Options
I know I shouldn't judge other people when they work out. But today I saw a guy squatting going down about a foot, then back up, with a rounded back. I really don't even think you gain anything from a movement like that, except risk of injury. I wanted to say something. If it were me, I would want help especially with a full body movement like a squat. But how do you approach someone without being an *kitten*. lol Thoughts?

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Honestly, some people will take offense no matter what you do when you offer suggestions. However, if you want to approach someone with advice like that the best thing you can do is introduce yourself, say hi, shake hands if they are not holding a weight, and then offer to show them your form in the nicest way possible. Tone of voice is key.

Worst case scenario, they say they don't want your help in a polite or unpolite manner than you can just go about your day, don't let it bother you if this happens. You tried, thats all that matters.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I would approach it as just being concerned and give the guy some pointers. Most people don't want to get hurt working out so he may be very thankful. If he's not, okay, you tried. But, it will probably make him think none the less and he will probably reevaluate when you're not around.
  • Lil_Northern_Light
    Lil_Northern_Light Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    During his rest period, ask him if his back or legs get sore after. If its back, then suggest he keep his back straight next time as he squats., to see if that helps him. Its not judgmental if you see bad form, just want to offer some help.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Just go up and start with "Hey how's it going, mate! I just noticed that you're doing something that hurt me a couple months ago..." He'll probably perk up to the concern.

If you really don't like speaking with people, then tell the staff at the gym. If they're aware of it, it would be their civic responsibility to look out for their members and address it themselves.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This sort of relates....I wasn't doing anything wrong but a lady had a suggestion of an exercise I could do. First we struck up a friendly conversation. I approached her and complimented her on her tough workout. Then she shared that she is really into fitness. I think she said she used to be a personal trainer but got sick and is now getting back in shape. Then she asked me if I would like her to show me a push up type exercise that she thought would be good for me. I said yes. She showed it to me, then watched me do it and corrected me. I thought it was really nice of her to give me some pointers for free and look at my form and correct me ( I thanked her very much. She said she was glad she could help me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I always appreciate advice in the gym. As long as you're being helpful, not just showing off your own knowledge, I can't see why anyone would be offended.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Just go up and start with "Hey how's it going, mate! I just noticed that you're doing something that hurt me a couple months ago..." He'll probably perk up to the concern.

Great suggestion!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I personally don't appreciate "advice" in the gym. A lot of people don't actually know what they're talking about, and I find that people can already be self-conscious and paranoid they're being watched/judged at the gym. If people want to know, they can always ask the staff. Otherwise, it's not my job to police anyone's form, or diet, or anything, no matter how bad it may be. It's hard to watch sometimes, but I also don't feel right about invading somebody's personal space. I think it would be best received if it were a staff member delivering the concern for safety measures, since it directly concerns his/her work environment. Otherwise, most people healthy or not, common knowledge or not, often don't have any legitimate credentials to base their advice on. I would read up more on others' personal experiences (i.e. in forums or as an open discussion) in these sorts of situations before coming to any conclusions about the appropriateness of corrective actions to a stranger.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    "can I give you a little advice?"
    go from there....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I was offered form advice on my knees while squatting about a year ago. The guy broached the subject politely, and I wasn't offended in the slightest, and was very grateful.
  • valjean5
    valjean5 Posts: 17
    Options
    When he's done go and do it with proper form and show em how it's done
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Got some pointers from a girl who I really admire at my gym a while back. I was mostly grateful. It didn't bother me. If I were doing something where I would possibly hurt myself..I would want to know. Just my $.02
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can't do any worse than the trainer at my gym. He's always working out early at 0600 before he starts work. He walked past someone and said (Loudly) "Mate! Those squats are terrible! Do it properly!" He did then tell him what he was doing wrong, but definitely not going to be subtle about it.
  • rumple2014
    Options
    I know I shouldn't judge other people when they work out. But today I saw a guy squatting going down about a foot, then back up, with a rounded back. I really don't even think you gain anything from a movement like that, except risk of injury. I wanted to say something. If it were me, I would want help especially with a full body movement like a squat. But how do you approach someone without being an *kitten*. lol Thoughts?

I would really appreciate someone coming to tell me if I'm doing it right but that's because I'm a beginner! Today actually I think I hurt myself ! I have no one to workout with ! Tho u have to be careful! Some will take offense but u are doing it for there best interest! To prevent injury !
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You have to be sure it is horrible though, and that you are right.

We got advice from a "well meaning" person, but her advice was wrong for what we were doing (low squats, lifting heavy)

Rounded back will cause problems, but maybe offer to take a video of their form so they can study it, if they have a phone, because you "think" you saw a rounded back.

Something like "Hey buddy, I think you rounded your back during your squat. Do you want me to video your next set so that you can watch & correct if I am right?"
  • ketzlekuato
    ketzlekuato Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When he's done go and do it with proper form and show em how it's done

^^^this^^^