Is reaching the recommended potassium amount possible?

Options
Ramen237
Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
This is something I am really, really curious about!

The goal potassium on MFP is 3500 mg daily. But on my average day I only consume 2000 mg, if I'm lucky. Even if I take my multivitamin, it only bumps me up a little bit, and I still end up with about a 1000 mg K deficit. :noway: Some sources on the Internet recommend an even higher dosage of daily potassium - as high as 5000 mg, in some cases. Is it possible (or practical?) to reach these amounts without use of supplements? Obviously I would rather not eat a dozen bananas a day :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I eat balanced amounts of various food groups throughout the week, so I had assumed I was close to the recommended K amount. I AM trying to lose weight - though the calorie deficit doesn't seem to play a role in the inability to reach the potassium goal.

So, do you get enough potassium through your diet or do you take a potassium supplement?

How "deficient" in K do you have to be to start feeling it?....

Does it matter that I'm habitually 1000+ mg short?

Please share your experience :flowerforyou: Thank you!

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    potassium is not currently required to be listed on nutrition labels, so it many times isnt entered. you can ignore it. eat lots of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and leafy greens and you'll get plenty.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    The potassium in branded foods are not entered on MFP so there will be loads that you can't track. MFP seems to have the potassium levels for standard products so this makes is difficult. However, potassium is in everything and deficiency is very rare so unless you are eating very few calories it's really not something to worry about.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I almost never reach my goal of potassium or iron. Usually no problem with the other micros, though.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    OK. So I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much.
  • johngratian
    Options
    MFP does a pretty good job. But have wondered about the potassium numbers. Mine are super low and haven't been able to figure a meal plan that hits potassium goal and keeps my other numbers okay.

Note my targets
    Calories 1500-1700
    Sugars 40-60
    Sodium 1500-1700

Basically I am on a low Calorie, low Sugar, low Sodium diet.

Would like to avoid doing the Potassium supplement powder.

Is there a better source for potassium content of branded foods?
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    potassium is not currently required to be listed on nutrition labels, so it many times isnt entered. you can ignore it. eat lots of sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and leafy greens and you'll get plenty.
    So true. I am almost always at or above my potassium levels when tracking properly. I eat loads of bananas and broccoli which usually push me well above 3500.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I usually make a smoothie every day and use 6 to 10 oz of coconut water and 3 stalks of celery and some carrots along with the melon mango banana strawberry etc fruit I use the coconut water carrots and celery will easily hit over 2000 mg of potassium I split this in 3 portions one as part of breakfast one after run or workout and the last I freeze and then let defrost and have as a frozen desert at night.
    Along with coffee which has a fair amount and my normal veggies with dinner I usually hit over 3000
    I add some protein powder to the smoothie for muscle replenishment especially after workout and the protein powder has some potassium as well