SO DISSAPOINTED!

Options
ARRRGHHH I am so dissapointed, I have been going to the gym four times a week and put on two pounds!!! why :(

Replies

• mlinkletter
    Options
    Two reasons most likely, #1 muscle weighs more than fat, and #2 you retain water when you work out. Your muscles hold onto water to repair themselves.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Check if your sodium intake levels are okay.

Otherwise you gain muscles and those are heavier than the fat is. Plus your body retains water when you workout.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    lol yes what mlinkletter said
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    What have you been eating?
  • poetlba
    Options
    maybe you built muscle and are retaining water? try drinking hot water with lemon for breakfast and dinner, and add lemon t o your regular water throughout the day. It helps reduce water retention.

If that doesn't work, see if maybe you're getting hungrier because you're working out and eating more without realizing it.

If that's not it either, well... i'll think about it more then. :-)

good luck!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time to put on noticeable amounts of muscle weight, especially if you're not trying to build muscles and you're in a calorie deficit - you're likely retaining water due to your increased workouts. Drink extra water, make sure your sodium intake is reasonable and stick with it. It'll start coming down eventually. You just have to be patient!
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained 2 lbs of muscle...its most likley water weight.. your body can change weight up to five pounds a day... keep going.. watch soudium and calorie in take :)
  • littlelol
    Options
    Thinking about it I dont think I drink enough water. ALSO Say I have been burning 400 calories I then eat them, if this makes sense? Do you think this is why?
  • littlelol
    Options
    This may sound soooo stupid but what do you mean by check sodium?
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it I dont think I drink enough water. ALSO Say I have been burning 400 calories I then eat them, if this makes sense? Do you think this is why?

Do you wear a HRM to know that's how many calories you are burning? If not you could be over estimating your calorie burn.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Definitely drink more water. I ALWAYS retain water weight if I don't drink enough (it's your body's reaction to being dehydrated) and if you're working out more, then you're losing even more water through sweat.

Sounds like you're eating just fine - you are supposed to eat back exercise calories, though I wouldn't eat back ALL of them if you're using MFP to estimate, since it tends to estimate high. I aim for 50-75% of them, using a HRM or Bodybugg type device.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Look at how much sodium you're intaking. Under settings you can choose to show sodium.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

If you consume high sodium levels that will cause you to retain water weight. MFP's sodium recommendation is no more than 2500mg/day, though really most health organizations/professionals say the lower the better - I personally aim for 1500-2000mg/day at the most. Add sodium to your food diary by going to your diary and then going to Settings.
  • jasoe
    jasoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle!
  • lorabreeze
    Options
    sadly, 85%+ of weight management is in what you eat....not exercise. Exercise can accelerate weight loss and help.....but true management is done by what goes in our mouths. One piece of small chocolate candy takes approximately ONE HOUR of exercise to offset the calories.

Hopefully you are using this site to count your calories and hitting the right target range of calories per day. If that isn't working, it could be your salt intake making you maintain more fluids (weight)....but that would be only a couple pounds for most people.

If neither of these hit it, talk to your doctor and see if there is something medical stopping you from losing weight.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

Make sure you’re monitoring your sodium intake. I changed my food tracker from sugar to sodium. If you consume too much sodium, you’re body will retain a lot of water. You’d be surprised how much food is packed with this stuff!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Also, are you using a heart rate monitor or using this site’s database for calculating calories burned? You’d be surprised how much of a difference a HRM actually makes!! :smile:
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I actually gained a pound over the last month of going to the gym and seeing the trainer twice a week. But I lost almost 10 inches. Don't forget to keep track of that too.

and do you FEEL better? This is what I told the trainer when we saw that i had gained a pound (not to mention that i weighed with him after eating all day!) ... i feel good so i am not going to worry about the pound. i have hit a plateau the size of california... just waiting to jump off of it. meanwhile the inches are dropping and i feel good so i am going to carry on.

:-)
  • donnahay1
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You probably gained muscle!!
  • donnahay1
    Options
    Muscle is built up of water.