How do people keep it up? (Weight gain)

Options
Hey all,

So I am currently in recovery from an ED (male, 5'8", 119 lbs), and I was just wondering how other people (regardless of whether the goal is gaining, maintaining or losing) keep at it, even when it may be really uncomfortable? Obviously, it will be different for everybody, but I'm just having a hard time hitting my calorie goals consistently every day without wanting to quit and go back to what I was doing in my ED.

Thanks,
Matt

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    By thinking of health, and the overall goal.
    And in the case of ED, how much more there is of life, to be enjoyed and embraced, that you cannot do so while suffering the ED.
    You do what has to be done, and focus on the longterm outcome.
    What will a life of having your ED give to you, compared to a lifetime free of it ?
    For me personally, having a lung disease called COPD, made me more determined to prove I could get as fit as anyone else, in spite of it. That drives me through workouts that are more often than not, uncomfortable rather than enjoyable. And the end result is I am fitter than most at the gym I go to.
  • tralala99
    tralala99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested to see how other people answer this. I don't have any great advice, but it helps me if I don't beat up on myself if I have a bad day (or couple of days). That only makes things worse, I think. Besides, life is so much bigger than that and it would be a waste to spend too much of it obsessing over something eaten or not eaten.

So, not sure if that's at all helpful or applicable but please be sure to be gentle with yourself. If eating in a way that's healthy for you is really uncomfortable for you right now then maybe really try to give yourself a break in other aspects of your life.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Matt,

I think part of it is acceptance. Acceptance that it will never 'go away' but there are other options and those other options are going to be hard and uncomfortable but in the end will help you live a life worth living/a life more in line with YOUR morals. If you are getting professional help for your ED I"m sure they will cover DBT or ACT.

I had to stop listening to a lot of friends and family who kept feeding me unhealthy messages (oh, and then there were all the messages I fed myself). I have started becoming more attracted to people who live life with little judgment and I'm less reactive to the dysfunctional thinking of others and myself.

I sought help for compulsive eating/ binge eating (depression and anxiety) --- I'm so thankful I did, its been the best investment I've ever made.

Best wishes on your road to recovery.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've never been underweight, but I've been obese which can be just as bad. Anyways I focus on doing better than the day before, and just making healthier choices. I've had to change my brains way of thinking, and trust me I have had lots of slip ups over the past 2.5 years I've been on here. I just keep at it and try for a better tomorrow :-)

Best of luck to ya!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Calories tracking can go against ED recovery. Ironically cal tracking is also got a lot of us (here on MPF) lost weight in the first place. I did not have a lot to lose but I did gain a totally new lifestyle (track, love workout etc)....tilll ED came back. And this was a surprise relapse as I have not binged for many years.

After trying to deal with the issue for 3 months, I decided to get professional help. I have had one session so far and I was asked to stop tracking calories but do log and note what/when I eat and how I feel.

I am a BIG believer in mental health. This is especially true for people with ED. So my advice is, if cal tracking is becoming a demotivating trigger, you should not use it as a tool. I cannot tell you what works for you, but at least you should re-evaluate how you use cal tracking, and explore other ways to stay healthy.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ..oh, and as some people have mentioned, professional help is recommended. You still need to learn to self-manage, but it's wise to get some directions. Good luck!