Diet and exercise advice please

Options
I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice and encouragement. I recently started my first job out of school, but part of that job is working long hours. On average I will work 12-14 hours a day since my job is in investment banking and I have to be working while certain markets are open. With being at work all day I'm finding it difficult to want to work out after being at work all day. I would like to lose weight, and I know that eating less doesn't equal weight loss. Do any of you have any workout advice for me? I was thinking of just waking up a half hour earlier and jogging around the block. And do you have any diet advice? I have a sensitive stomach and can't handle certain foods like dairy, so I have been just not eating all day till about 7 pm. I know this is bad.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    and I know that eating less doesn't equal weight loss.
    Actually it does. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • garnerm60
    garnerm60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What I mean by that is I only eat one meal a day, dinner, and over the past two weeks I haven't lost a pound. In fact I have gained. It pisses me off, and I know for a fact it has been a calorie deficit.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficiency (eating less than you burn) is the basis to weight loss. Exercise and water aid the process much better for many people. My advice is to keep a pair of sneakers, healthy snacks, and a water bottle at work. You could walk during your breaks and lunchtime. I work on the 5th floor. I walk down to the first floor and back up twice a day. I also drink 64oz of water daily. Getting up early to workout is an excellent investment as well. Don't try to do too much too fast. Start out slow and work your way up over time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This. Exercise is just an added plus because (1) you feel better and (2) you get to eat more than you would without exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    What I mean by that is I only eat one meal a day, dinner, and over the past two weeks I haven't lost a pound. In fact I have gained. It pisses me off, and I know for a fact it has been a calorie deficit.
    Two weeks is nothing. Give it time.

Why do you eat only one meal a day? Do you weigh your food and log everything you eat? If not, then you cannot know for a fact that you've been in a calorie deficit. If you do weigh all your food and log it in and are convinced you are accurate, then you just need to be patient.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything and logging. Are you keeping to the calories suggested by MFP
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm a home health aide. I make like NO money. I'm in great health. I care for people who ran themselves into the ground working crazy hours, skipping meals and ending up a physical train wreck. They make enough money to pay me to look after them after they worked themselves into an early retirement for medical reasons.

With all those years of school you must see where I'm going with this. EAT breakfast, EAT lunch, find time to get some exercise or all the success in the world will mean jack s*** when your body gives out on you.

Eating less will cause you to lose weight. We are physical beings. This "diet thing" has no basis in magic. It's science plain and simple. If you eat more than you burn the weight will come off. It might come off slowly but it will come off. If you have the discipline for all the schooling and working 5 billion hours a day you can find a way to do this. BTW, did you get through school in 2 weeks? Did you gain weight in 2 weeks? Why should you just start dumping all your weight in 2 weeks? Stick it out, stick with a SENSIBLE PLAN (not eating once every 24 hours! C'mon!) and your body will have a chance to come around!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so people can see what you are doing and give more personalised advice
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This. Exercise is just an added plus because (1) you feel better and (2) you get to eat more than you would without exercise.
    Actually, exercise does boost your metabolism, it builds or strengthens muscle which need to be fed. If you exercise, you will burn more calories throughout your day, even when you sleep.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Since you're an iBanker, I'm betting that stress also is a major factor for you. Having been counsel to iBankers, I have some insight into the lifestyle and we were all pretty stressed out during deals. It was go-go-go all the time and everything had to be done yesterday.

The only advice I can give is try to eat at your desk -- most of us had to. I imagine you have a lot of meals catered in, so choose healthier ones -- good veggies, good proteins, good fats. At first the lifestyle can be pretty overwhelming and all the free food and booze can end up in a lot of weight gain if you're not careful. I imagine you also have a gym either in your office, in the building or very near by. At the very least, really use that to get some exercise in -- even if it's only walking on the treadmill for 30 mins. The exercise will help combat the stress.

Try to get sleep. In my experience, this is what suffered the most, and there's not much you can do about it when you're doing what you do. I slept on the floor of my office far more than I like to admit. Have an exit plan for this lifestyle if you don't already have one. For must, it's totally unsustainable in the longterm, but can be great for experience and landing some big bucks in the short term.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Actually, exercise does boost your metabolism, it builds or strengthens muscle which need to be fed. If you exercise, you will burn more calories throughout your day, even when you sleep.
    You have added two more things toward the benefits of exercise, which I appreciate. However,.my point is that the only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You do not have to exercise to lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    good veggies, good proteins, good fats

As far as weight loss goes, there are no good or bad veggies, proteins, or fats. However, the types of food you eat can contribute to your energy level, or lack thereof.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

As far as weight loss goes, there are no good or bad veggies, proteins, or fats. However, the types of food you eat can contribute to your energy level, or lack thereof.

I imagine you must be one of those people that think all calories are the exact same.

I simply disagree with you. I think there are better and worse food choices and those will impact weight loss, satiety (which plays a big role in weight loss and sustainability of caloric deficits), body composition as well as overall health. For example, broccoli has far more nutritional value calorie-for-calorie compared with iceberg lettuce. So, I consider that a "better" vegetable (or "good" if you prefer). Same goes for if you're concerned about the glycemic index value of your fruits and veggies. If you're looking to minimize your high glycemic foods, then certain fruits and vegetables are going to be better for you and others are worse.

Pretending everything is equal is just silly, and not true.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    do you track your food. If you eat at a deficit you will lose regardless if exercise.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    why can't you eat breakfast before work and bring snacks to work?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I imagine you must be one of those people that think all calories are the exact same.

I simply disagree with you. I think there are better and worse food choices and those will impact weight loss, satiety (which plays a big role in weight loss and sustainability of caloric deficits), body composition as well as overall health. For example, broccoli has far more nutritional value calorie-for-calorie compared with iceberg lettuce. So, I consider that a "better" vegetable (or "good" if you prefer). Same goes for if you're concerned about the glycemic index value of your fruits and veggies. If you're looking to minimize your high glycemic foods, then certain fruits and vegetables are going to be better for you and others are worse.

Lindsey,

You when you say things such as:
    and

you sound pretty silly yourself. :wink:

When it comes to actual weight loss, there is not distinction between calories. It has been proven over and over that if you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight.

As far as nutrition goes, there's no doubt that some foods are more nutritionally sound than others and affect your energy level in either a positive or negative way. However, this is superfluous to weight loss.

Moderation is the key to everything.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Workout when you can fit it into your schedule. Eat whole foods that are less processed/packaged as possible. Try to get 70% of your groceries from the produce section. Staples are a variety of in season, RIPE fruit and vegetables, rice, corn, potatoes, etc. (if you're not a vegan add lean cuts of meat in small portions, grass fed)

Good luck!
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Lindsey,

and

When it comes to actual weight loss, there is not distinction between calories. It has been proven over and over that if you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight.

As far as nutrition goes, there's no doubt that some foods are more nutritionally sound than others and affect your energy level in either a positive or negative way. However, this is superfluous to weight loss.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Although calories are important, they aren't the ONLY important thing for many people. You can have calorically equal diets with different macros that result in different amounts and rates of weight loss. There have been countless studies on that too.

If you refuse to believe those studies and understand how different types of food are processed by the body, so be it. But, luckily reality is not dependent upon your lack of understanding.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Lindsey,

and

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Although calories are important, they aren't the ONLY important thing for many people. You can have calorically equal diets with different macros that result in different amounts and rates of weight loss. There have been countless studies on that too.

If you refuse to believe those studies and understand how different types of food are processed by the body, so be it. But, luckily reality is not dependent upon your lack of understanding.

Lindsey if you are saying that eating whole nutritious foods that are high in nutrients vs calories like broccoli or chicken breast or tuna etc etc can aid in weight loss I agree with you but for the following reason, satiation. I personally find it much easier to feel satisfied hitting a caloric restriction goal while feeling like I have energy and am never hungry if I eat things like that versus attempting to eat pizza and take-out Chinese in moderation.

If, however, you are saying that someone who eats 1500 calories a day of pizza and take-out will lose weight slower than if they had eaten 1500 calories a day of chicken breast and broccoli then no, I disagree with you. I think its much much easier to be honest with yourself and hit your targets if you eat chicken and broccoli versus take-out but if the actual caloric intake is the same then it is the same. This is by definition. If a study showed differently then they simply did not correctly calculate the caloric intake or the caloric usage including thermogenesis and digestion.

By definition weight loss is contingent on energy expenditure and energy expenditure is measured in the unit of calories.