Heavy instep, Nikes ruined my feet!

Options
megnay
megnay Posts: 65 Member
I have a heavy instep and put a lot of weight on my toes (specifically on one foot). I used to wear orthotics but I grew out of them and am in the process of replacing them. I recently bought a pair of Nike FlexRun 2013's. I've got into jogging and really enjoy it... totally underestimated my ability and can run 5k no problem on the treadmill. BUT my instep combined with my new shoes made me sprain one of my toes, and I haven't been able to jog since.

Some say I just need orthotics, some say it's the shoe... Most are saying it's the shoe. I hopped onto the minimalist running shoe trend without thinking of how it would impact my feet. Maybe I need cross trainers? Help me out!

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I know that when going into a minimalist shoe you need to start very slowly in terms of distance you are running in them etc.
  • BabysBaby2003
    BabysBaby2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with shoes for a while and have tried many different brands. Asiac gels that I just bought from Athleta.com are amazing! They are light and airy and I literally feel like I am walking on a cloud. No more foot pain, no leg pain. I have issues with my left instep from an injury and these shoes don't bother me at all. I also have wider feet now with age and Nike no longer supports my foot.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You should probably get fitted for running shoes if you want to run.

Personally, I have never been able to wear any kind of Nike running shoe.... they just fit my feet funny no matter what and give me terrible pain.

A running store should help you find the best fit.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Your best is going to a running store and getting fitted. They will analyze your run and have you bend at the knees, etc.

And they are great at taking back shoes that end up working out and putting you into one that will
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I can't wear minimalist running shoes, either. I have very angry, complicated feet - they're narrow, with hammertoes and high arches and to top it off, I have no fat padding on the soles of my feet.

Don't follow trends! Go to a specialty running store and get custom fitted for a shoe that suits your feet/needs. For me, the Brooks Ghost have worked really well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Personally, I have never been able to wear any kind of Nike running shoe.... they just fit my feet funny no matter what and give me terrible pain.

^^This

Not all shoes are created equal. I love the reebok zigtech, but reebok runs thin width wise, so I need to buy wide. Other shoes fit my feet just fine at the normal width..
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Another vote for getting fitted...and a good running store, by people who know what they're talking about. It doesn't matter what works for other people, or what is cute, or you think might be right for you.... everyone is different, and there's a good shoe for YOU out there. Good luck :drinker:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This.... I personally love minimalist shoes, I wear Komodosport LS Vibram's for weight lifting, KOS Vibram's for casual wear, and I get fitted for all my shoes at the running shoe store (even bought my vibram's there). For walking/jogging, they fitted me into Brooks Pure flow and also Pure Cadence (the cadence has extra arch support built into the shoe). So I would definitely suggest you go to the running store, they know their stuff, will watch your heel to toe strike, gate, stride, etc. and determine a couple different shoe options for you to try out... Best of Luck
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I support the "go to a running store" sentiment. When I started running, the people at my local running store helped me find the right shoe/fit/etc. They take pronation, foot fall, etc. into account and find the best shoe for your needs.

But for the record: I have since stopped running in the traditional running shoes the lovely store folks recommended because they got too heavy after a few new models. The heavier shoes exacerbated the tendonitis in my knees, so I started over with my mileage and began running in minimalist Sauconys 2 or 3 years ago, and this has helped my knees a lot because I don't have 1 lbs weights dangling off my legs! But to get all the muscles that I needed for running in general, the recommended shoes were a blessing, and I ran happily in them for 3-4 years before converting to minimalist. So I'd jump onto the traditional shoe train first :)
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I'm gonna go get fitted but am very afraid of the price I will encounter...
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I'm gonna go get fitted but am very afraid of the price I will encounter...
    you wont mind the price when your feet feel good!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    << Nikes ruined my feet!>>

So YOU bought the wrong shoes but it's their fault?:tongue:

Don't let 'fashion' dictate your running shoe choice. The transition to minimalist shoes (say Zero drop) take a while and is not for everyone. It took me a while for my calfs to get used to the extra/different motion - but for me it was worth the effort.

It used to be falks said that you need to 'Break' new shoes in .. it's more YOU need to be 'Broken' in if your don;t want to end up Broken!!

Take care

P.S your feet aren't ruined - they'll recover if you look after them.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    How can one go about getting fitted for running shoes? I may have to look into this, as I have a messed up left foot and it's really putting a damper in my workouts. I can't run like I used to because it hurts more than ever.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    How can one go about getting fitted for running shoes? I may have to look into this, as I have a messed up left foot and it's really putting a damper in my workouts. I can't run like I used to because it hurts more than ever.

If it hurts go see a Dr or Physio not a shoe sales person!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

If it hurts go see a Dr or Physio not a shoe sales person!
    Eh, that's a last resort if I can't walk.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. Ideally they will put you on a treadmill with cameras and film and watch the way your foot strikes when you run.

It should be a free service. From there they can suggest shoes that work for you.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store. They have experience and should video tap you on a treadmill, plus ask you a lot of questions. Answer as honestly as you can. It has helped me with picking the right shoes.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    It was a pair of Nikes that brutalized my feet too. I know how important it is to get properly fitted, but I haven't yet either. I did, however, switch to a pair of New Balances and have had comfortable runs since! Don't do what I do, though. Go to a running store - Foot Locker doesn't count - and get fitted!