Needing some words of wisdom...

Options
Hi all,

I just need some help. I have been on the weight gain/loss roller-coaster for the last 10yrs. the last 5 have been the worst, with my weight steadily climbing and hardly falling at all. My motivation has disappeared... all I feel is sad, frustrated and terribly overwhelmed!
I need to loose about 13kg but can't find the drive to do it. I must have started about 5 diets already and each lasts about 2 days before I just fall apart and think, this is just too hard!
I have all I could need to loose weight, time, a treadmill, a little dog that needs walking and no kids to care for... yet something ALWAYS gets in the way!

for example, my job is in overdrive at the moment and I don't get much time to just relax... so after sitting on my butt for about 10hrs everyday all I want to do is relax on the lounge... and cooking... who the hell has the time or energy! which means crappy food and well I must admit I have been really bad at logging foods...
I can't seem to get up in the morning even when I set the alarm. I have even tried one of those dawn lamps which is supposed to reset your rhythms without any success!
I have a treadmill but it goes without use and I also had a membership for I-ftilive which I never ever used (this is the one which you get google map images for jogging/walking tracks)
I have a fitbit which is connected to this account, but because I am constantly chained to my desk I am lucky to get 4000 steps in a day!

I know these are just excuses, however, I am at a loss on how to fix it!

Any words of wisdom would be really appreciated!

Replies

• nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So far I'm about 2 months into my journey and have benefited the most from:

1. Tracking everything BRUTALLY HONESTLY. Once you've figured out your calorie goal to cause weight loss and then start inputting what you eat as accurately as possible, you will see just how quickly you're using up your daily calorie allotment and see that, yes, something has to change.

2.Googling low calorie recipes that are also filling. This changed the whole game for me. I went from REFUSING to cook anything more complex than heating fries in the oven, to cooking all kinds of things from scratch that leave me feeling full and good about my decisions. Cook up everything the day you buy it, or pick a day with down time, and freeze it all in serving sized containers. The hard part is done and now you just heat it up at meal times.

3. I plan lunch and dinner out a week in advance so I can buy all the appropriate ingredients and prepare only what is necessary. I waste less food this way, less leftovers end up going bad, and I don't have to stand and ponder what I'm going to make when it's meal time and I'm starving. Fewer bad decisions are made this way.

4. Use up some leftover weekly calories to treat yourself. Deprivation just makes everything suck. It's all about moderation!

5. Don't make any decisions you're not willing to stick to forever. Don't diet. Learn ways to prepare your favourite meals with healthier ingredients. Cutting out bread for 6 months to lose weight is just going to suck when you decide to reintroduce it into your diet and screw up all your "progress".
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I hate to be brutally honest with you, but there's nothing much we can really do for you.
    We could all probably write encouraging words and tips etc, but at the end you have to motivate yourself.
    There has to be some kind of intrinsic drive within you to want to attain your goals, which by what you wrote you seem to be lacking. Without that drive, all the advice we give, all the motivation we give will mean... nothing.

This journey is tough and its something you have to take on a day by day basis.
    I think the biggest challenge is mental: we all see the goal and want the goal, but getting there is the hardest part. Eating healthy, working out, making smart choices -- that's all tough stuff and I can attest to that. But you have to WANT this, and by wanting this I mean you have to understand and agree to the terms and conditions that come with this journey: be it waking up earlier in the morning to workout; getting back on track the next day or even the next meal after "screwing" it up; parking a little further to get a few extra steps in; etc. If you truly want something, all your excuses will start to disappear and you will stop at nothing to achieve your goal.

That being said, you might not be mentally ready for this yet, and that's okay.
    I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason and things happen when they're supposed to happen. Failures happen so that you can have success. Without failure, success wouldn't exist. As to when you'll succeed, I can't really answer that. I say that to bring up the point that you might fail a couple more times, but that's okay. Eventually when it's supposed to happen, it'll click and you'll be mentally ready and have the will power to do this; in the meantime, you have to figure out how to get to that point somehow, and that may take time and practice.

I really don't wish to come off mean or harsh in any way and I hope you don't take offense to anything I've said, but having been in your shoes before, I think tough love will probably do you some good.

Best of luck on your journey :heart:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    1. Youtube the banana girl / fully raw kristina / durian rider ETC.
    2. Log everything
    3. Lean in no time!

"How long will it take you to get to the beach? Depends where you are, keep walking" - DurianRider
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you already know the answers to your questions. You must really really truly want it, in order for it to work!!!I have a full time job, crazy work hours, husband, kid, many problems and my time is stretched very thin but I find a way for it to work, cuz I want it!!! When your ready to drop the excuses, and stop feeling sorry for yourself, then it will also work for you. There's no quick fixes, and nothing anyone can say to motivate you. It has to come from within yourself.