is there anyone here who doesnt workout

Options
I do not go to the gym, and I rarely have time, and also rarely have motivation to exercise. In winter I did some exercise shoveling everyday, but besides that I hardly did any exercise. I want to exercise but am not sure how to start. Any one else here who doesnt work out, and also anyone who has advice about this issue. Ive lost 20 lbs in 3 months with no exercise, but im scared my body wont really change untill I start to exercise regularly., so I want to start exercising but I dont how to really.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your determination and recent weight loss.

You will continue to lose weight if you eat at a deficit. Fitness will determine how you look when you get to your goal weight.

I used to not exercise very much, too. The key is to find something that you enjoy doing. It'll take some trial and error and you have to give yourself the chance to get used to the exercise before deciding that it's "not for you". Your body and your mind may "not want to" for the first little while but will then relax and start to enjoy.

Perhaps try going for a walk every day (or every other day) for 30 minutes. See how that goes. As it starts to feel easier, either start going out longer or pick up the pace a little.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the gym, and I rarely have time, and also rarely have motivation to exercise. In winter I did some exercise shoveling everyday, but besides that I hardly did any exercise. I want to exercise but am not sure how to start. Any one else here who doesnt work out, and also anyone who has advice about this issue. Ive lost 20 lbs in 3 months with no exercise, but im scared my body wont really change untill I start to exercise regularly., so I want to start exercising but I dont how to really.
    Hear hear! I've the same bad habit of not exercising. Good for you to still lose the weight. I've found a similar plateau without any exercise, so searched for ways to work it in to my "no time to exercise" schedule. I have two dogs, so I turn my nightly walks into nightly jogs. I read incessantly at home, so turned it into treadmill time ... whilst reading. I watch ~30 min of youtube each day and turned it into 30 min of squats/stretches during the videos.

You can turn any time into exercise time, except for sleepy time. Hope these ideas help.
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, however I did in the past, about 3 years, never while counting calories though. I moved to the country and was too far from a gym so I stopped. Now that I moved back to a large town with multiple choices of gyms I'm thinking of going back. I want to increase muscle mass and I just wan't to be able to eat more now that I'm getting close to my goal !
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Your best exercise is walking , walk and get some muscles on your legs while you enjoy the weather :) , you don't need to go to a gym , there are plenty workout routines that you can do at home with little to no equipment
    you can also find whole routines on YouTube if you don't want to buy a DVD
    I think I saw 30 days shred by Jillian Michael for like 10 bucks at walmart
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The first few months of losing weight (30-40 pounds) I didn't work out. It was solely on eating habits. However, your body needs to work out in conjunction with proper nutrition.

How do you go about doing it??? Just do it! I started by my friends inviting me to a 5k. I finished in an hour but I finished! The next week I began consistently working out with cardio. Four months later, I added weights. Probably should have added weights in conjunction w/cardio at the beginning, but it is what it is. So, join a gym, or go outside for a walk around the neighborhood, pull up YouTube exercise videos, whatever. There are a lot of free resources on the Internet to assist. Again... just do it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in three months with absolutely no working out. It is really bad, but I despise exercising lol!

163lbs to 137lbs with only a deficit.
  • kk_140
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in three months with absolutely no working out. It is really bad, but I despise exercising lol!

163lbs to 137lbs with only a deficit.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen the lady who is thin, can wear all the cool sizes etc. but when she walks away from you, she jiggles like jello? That's the difference between exercise and no exercise.

Personally I don't want to jiggle.
  • kk_140
    Options
    Have you ever seen the lady who is thin, can wear all the cool sizes etc. but when she walks away from you, she jiggles like jello? That's the difference between exercise and no exercise.

Depends on the person. Despite little exercise I am only 22% body fat which is on the low end of the healthy range. Everyone's body is built differently. Not everyone needs to spend hours at the gym to not jiggle.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Depends on the person. Despite little exercise I am only 22% body fat which is on the low end of the healthy range. Everyone's body is built differently. Not everyone needs to spend hours at the gym to not jiggle.

Well said!
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Gyms seem unnecessary to me, not that I think it's a bad way to go for people who like that kind of thing. I go for lots of walks. Long walks. Up and down hills. Past the creek where the ducks swim by, where the butterflies and moths refuse to sit still long enough for me to identify them, past the ravens trying to chat me up, past the robins and house finches and cactus wrens all doing their thing.

Give me two feet, decent shoes, and a steep hill, and I have my needed exercise covered, plus a lot of enjoyment along the way. I get to see dogs in fenced yards, too! It doesn't get better than that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I don't work out - meaning I dont go to gyms or do any of that stuff at home either.

I do go walking and I do play table tennis.

I don't think I am too jiggly - if I am, too bad.
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other responses so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something :)

It took me a long time to realize it, but one of the best ways to be motivated to exercise and strive to find time to exercise is by finding a form of exercise you love and enjoy, just like you would love and enjoy sitting at the tv watching your favourite show. For me, it's running! For others it may be weight-lifting, sports, fitness videos, or even just nice brisk walks.

While it is possible to lose weight on diet alone (I tried that and it worked for me), you won't lean out the same way. I ended up being skinny-fat, a look I wasn't a fan of. Plus, exercising will benefit your body in so many other ways - it's worth it. Find something you love!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can be active without going to the gym!
    Walking, cycling, dancing, digging, gardening, carrying things... Yes shoveling is very good exercise! And there are loads of YouTube exercise videos too...
    I don't go to the gym but I get loads of exercise, if you make it part of your life then it isn't a chore. Or find an activity you love like others have said. Cycling instead of driving is another good one. Stairs not elevators and so on.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It boils down to what works better for you. I love to walk so walking it is for now. Eventually, I will add weight lifting because I would like to be tone as well.
  • christinebryant80
    christinebryant80 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I dont go to the gym but what I have found was Zumba on you tube. I started 4 weeks ago and while I didnt exercise before this I started only being able to do it for 3-5 mins, now just today I was able to do it for 30 mins. The best part I find is its more like daning then exercise, it makes it more fun that way. I have also looked up belly dancing, my friend does it and it also sounds like a great workout. Like others have said, just you tube anything you can think of and its probely on there. Good luck and have fun!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. And I've only started to commit to 1hr of something physical about 3 weeks ago. I go for walks, which I find helps me de-stress anyway. I listen to the loud 90s "druggy" music my husband can't stand and I don't want to inflict on my daughter because of all the bad language. That or listen to the birds. I also did tons (literally!) of snow shoveling this winter. Again listening to the loud music.

I am thinking about joining the Y though. My daughter's swim practices are long enough that I could fit in a decent workout while I'm captive anyway.

I hate classes or DVDs. Can't stand being told what to do or shouted at.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. All you need is a calorie deficet.

The exercise is for health really.

BF% is defined by weight not exercise.

If you want to exercise great, choose the one(s) you will enjoy.

For me in January of last year I started with 20min walks or doing Wii Just dance for 20mins ( I was doing very low carb and didn't have the energy anymore than that)

I then moved onto bodyweight exercise along with the walking/dancing. I lost 25lbs in 3 months.

I was moved along to Jillian Michael's 30 day shred...and it knocked the inches off me and got me stronger.

I liked what that did for me so I moved to lifting weights....all at home.

Good places to look are fitnessblender.com and youtube or get videos from walmart (pretty cheap) or amazon etc.

the issue you will find is if you lose weight using a calorie deficet only you will lose muscle mass along with fat...which means you will get smaller and lighter but at what cost????

And yes as mentioned you can get to a low BF% just by diet but...for me I would rather weigh 153lbs, be at 20% BF and be strong...and firm and lean...not just lighter on the scale.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    How about writing down 20 types of "exercise" - yoga, dancing, jumping on a trampoline, walking... and then aim to try out half of them? I've been trying to be very open-minded about trying out new things and using YouTube to give me little testers. I've also started to using my ipod when walking and found that makes it easier to walk faster and take longer routes.
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    try the fitness blender program for a busy lifestyle :) it's ten dollars for an eight week program.