Rock Bottom

Options
I'm in the worst shape of my life. I have hit rock bottom. Ever since the knee injury I had in October, I no longer have the drive to keep in shape. I'm a college student and I would love to get back in good shape again. I need some support to get me back on track. So please feel free to add me. I'm trying to get back on track.

Thanks,
Cam

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rachel
    I also have a knee injury. I have a tear and doctor is recommended surgery for me. But for now, I'm doing what I can, without putting much impact on my knee. There's actually a lot you can do, without adding stress to your knee. I've been on my journey to weight loss for a long time, Given up more times then I can count, but the only thing that worked was making it a lifestyle change. No more quick fixes, no more fads. After I made it a lifestyle change, it actually stuck! So good luck to you on your journey! I wish you the best!
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your injury? What are your goals?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Eh, this is somewhat how I feel, plus a bunch of other things piled on top.
    I hope I find the drive I had a few months ago, I seem to have dropped it somewhere along the line.

Just keep chugging! Everything will piece itself together :)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Can you do water aerobics? That would give you some cardio, resistance and is gentler on the joints than other types of exercise.

Of course, clear it with your physician and/or physical therapist first!

:flowerforyou:
  • CamSimo
    CamSimo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL from rugby. I got tackled and my knee bent the opposite way. I did not need surgery because they were all partial tears and I did a lot of physical therapy and rehab. I am cleared to run and everything again but it's hard to get the motivation to put consecutive days of hard workouts together
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,900 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Rome wasn't built in a day, but they were laying bricks every hour.

Good luck.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Since you have the all clear from your doc, maybe start small. Like start by walking, log all your foods, and basically get into the habit of weighing and measuring your foods, and some form of exercise. After it becomes part of your daily life, it will be easier to do each day.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL from rugby. I got tackled and my knee bent the opposite way. I did not need surgery because they were all partial tears and I did a lot of physical therapy and rehab. I am cleared to run and everything again but it's hard to get the motivation to put consecutive days of hard workouts together

As someone 30 yrs older who has been there, and chose the wrong path ... leading to weight gain and arthritic knees, my recommendation is to not give up now. If you're anything like I was, before your injury, you were highly active, and ate everything in sight, since you burned it off. The risk you face is to keep eating at your high-activity level, have a reduced calorie burn, get more lethargic, eat more, exercise less, gain more ... you get the picture.

Consider yourself to still be in physio. Ramp up to your previous activity level. Run a mile today and a couple more times this week. Run two miles next week, etc. Within 2-3 months, you should be at/near your previous level, and by the time the season resumes in the autumn, you'll be back at full fitness.

Or, you could wait until you are 50+, huff and puff through walking a mile, work your way up to 5+ miles a day, and be down 70 lbs with 30 to go, until you hit your former fitness level.

Good luck!

PS - In Sep/Oct, following exams for bad knee pains, was told it was either partial knee replacement, or lose 50+ lbs. I got myself in gear on 1st Jan, and when I hit 50+ lbs down, the doc said "Well done! You've pushed out the need for knee surgery by probably 10 years!" I'm hoping that by getting to 100 lbs down, that the surgery date moves out a further decade.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rachel
    I also have a knee injury. I have a tear and doctor is recommended surgery for me. But for now, I'm doing what I can, without putting much impact on my knee. There's actually a lot you can do, without adding stress to your knee. I've been on my journey to weight loss for a long time, Given up more times then I can count, but the only thing that worked was making it a lifestyle change. No more quick fixes, no more fads. After I made it a lifestyle change, it actually stuck! So good luck to you on your journey! I wish you the best!

Ditto what Rachel says. Until I made a fundamental change, I wasn't getting anywhere.
    Now that I've cleaned up my act and exercise regularly ... mostly walking, as it has to be low impact for my knee ... life is much, much better for me.
  • FatGuyNL
    FatGuyNL Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well you know what they say about rock bottom... only place to go is up! Good luck with it!