New Vegan Here!

Options
Hello everyone! I'm Jordan, a 19 year old who is lost when it comes to health. I've decided my personal route to wellness will be a Vegan diet with mild exercise. I'm looking for support in my new lifestyle, and would welcome friends. I'd love to learn new recipes and tips from vegans or vegetarians, and meat eaters are more than welcome to friend request too! :) I have about 30-40 pounds to lose, and I want to be overall happier with my life. Anyone who wants to get to know me is more than welcome to!

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. Being vegan isn't hard once you get a handle on micronutrients. The macros are easy, micros can be a bit tough without adequate research or friends to talk to . I recommend reading http://www.veganhealth.org/ and going to http://www.vegweb.com/ for recipes.
  • amcoltlghgirl
    Options
    Welcome, anyone can add me. I'm on here everyday, with an open diary. I have been a pescetarian for almost a year now. I still eat fish and other sea food but that's about it on the animal part. I would love to support anyone and everyone.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow vegan! Once you get the hang of it, being vegan is easy! Plus it's soooo rewarding physically and mentally. I'm always experimenting with new recipes from cool vegan blogs. I would recommend checking out ohsheglows.com if you want some healthy, simple vegan recipes. :)
  • janedoughxvx
    Options
    Just accepted your friend request! So nice to meet a fellow vegan. Welcome!
  • LaKenya615
    Options
    I added you. I'm also a new Vegan. I'm open to friends as well :-)
  • kbem7
    kbem7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm vegan and have only been on here for 1 week. No friends on here yet! Would like to connect with people who are vegan too.

I've been vegetarian for 13 years and vegan only since November. I'm 25.
  • steph0nie
    Options
    I'm also newly vegan! Veg for 7 years then went vegan about 4 months ago I'm looking for some other vegans on MFP to stay motivated and active!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow vegan! Once you get the hang of it, being vegan is easy! Plus it's soooo rewarding physically and mentally. I'm always experimenting with new recipes from cool vegan blogs. I would recommend checking out ohsheglows.com if you want some healthy, simple vegan recipes. :)

This looks pretty neat. I'm a veggie, but when I get this weight/fitness thing back under control, I really want to switch back to no eggs/cheese. It just feels so much better.

And good luck to you. The best advice I was every given is to try not to define yourself with a label. It sets up a stereotype and can cause feelings of guilt when you slip up. This is a process, and it's okay to have bad days. I guess the same is true for weight loss.

I really liked Rich Roll's podcasts for awhile but I swear 10% of them is marketing and it really got to me after while. But he has great vegan athletes/musicians on his show that are really inspiring. If you can skip the first 10 minutes of every podcast, then it's totally worth it.
  • unfurling_red
    unfurling_red Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm ~95% vegan (100% vegan at home), and would love to connect with like-minded folks!
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have been vegan for about a year. He has been much more consistent than I have, but I'm finally 100% on board. I love "Happy Herbivore" website for meal plans, and to take the guesswork out of what to buy and how to eat it. I have learned that you can be fit, and exercise while plant-based. You don't need to worry about "extra protein" or any of that, IF you are eating a wide variety of plants, including nuts, legumes (peas, beans, etc), and rainbow veggies and fruits. Lots of athletes are also plant-based and do just fine. I worked really hard to make this whole process much more complicated than it needs to be (insert sarcasm), and am finally just keeping it simple. Feel free to friend me. I would love to have some plant-based friends to learn with and grow with!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan yet, but I'm working my way there. Check out Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman (especially if you are looking to lose weight also). He has lots of good recipes and explains the importance of a plant based diet.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent :)

I have been vegan for just over 2 years. Occassional mishap, like yesterday I ate Starburst out of my kids' Easter basket and didn't realize the gelatin was not plant-based until another friend on here pointed it out to me. I have my diary open to my friends on here and I log on daily.
  • infortunatus
    Options
    I'm vegan, and I reckon I need more vegan friends too. Feel free to add me.
  • tohajiilee
    Options
    Vegetarian over here. My cooking strategies have all been vegan based. Feel free to add my guys! Would love to swap recipes.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but don't eat eggs, very little dairy. I welcome new, supportive friends :flowerforyou:

Slainte! :drinker:
  • QueenMaryam04
    QueenMaryam04 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on raw juice fast diet,I would like to become a vegan after..everyone can add me:)