Requiring help setting my goal weight.......

Options
So I have my gym assessment and induction on Thursday and I am planning to tell the girl that at 202lbs at present I wish to aim for loss to take me to about 150lbs by the end of 2014. So a total loss of 52lbs in 8 months. I am 5'3.5" and very busty at present (30K in UK sizes) So I don't see it healthy to drop too low so feel that being 10 - 11 stone would be a healthy weight for me..... agreed?? I am looking for some honest/brutal feedback..... Thanks <3

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Set your goal for 150 lbs., then reevaluate when you get there.

It's just a number, so please don't put all your focus on the scale. Your weight will fluctuate, so take "before" photos & measurements too. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yeah to me leave it at the goal you want and once you get closer adjust from there if needed. If you don't need to hit 52lb then that's good, it's just a number to go for.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    What's your current lean body mass and body fat percentage right now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) That's a great article which puts a lot into perspective! I will have to start doing that stuff! x
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    Yeah to me leave it at the goal you want and once you get closer adjust from there if needed. If you don't need to hit 52lb then that's good, it's just a number to go for.

I think its a decent number without being crazy over ambitious.... but I am waiting to see what happens with what the PT girl says on Thursday :) Thanks :)
  • Porcelaine22
    Options
    What's your current lean body mass and body fat percentage right now?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I actually am not very sure, its a while since I measured it. Whats the best way to find out?
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There are scales you can find that will do this for you, if you are getting assessed they will be able to do it for you too. Its a really good way to evaluate how much weight you can truly lose while still keeping a certain amount of fat on your body. I am 5'4" and 150 lbs would put me at about 25% body fat which would be standard for me. Even though its considered pretty high weight at BMI, (BMI = Poop) lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, set a loose goal and readjust when you reach it (or sooner).

That's what I have done. I started MFP at 262 lb and my first goal was 220, and then I reset to 199 and 180 before going to my current goal of 170, and that is still not set in stone whatsoever.

I think it can be helpful to check out the "healthy weight" charts and guidelines but everyone's different in the way they look and feel and carry weight and so on.