Walking calories - 285lb woman

Options
Hi all,

Im so confused as to how many calories im burning on my walks. I used an app to calculate my walking speed (2.5mph or 4kph) which according to MFP for 28 mins walking burns 181 cals. However I input all my info into the map my walk app which said I had burned less than 80cals!!

Which one would you go with? Surely at 285lbs a half hour walk would burn more than 78cals?

thanks in advance! x

Replies

• estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi! Before I started using a HRM (you have it on your chest to control your heart rate and estimate calorie burn), I used this site, which was remarkably accurate in my case.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Still in the same site, I use the gross calories obtained and convert it to net calories (the amount of calories burned only to perform the physical activity, without the calories you would normally burn in that time frame)

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx

So according to the information you just gave, you probably burned 220 calories (gross), which is probably 176 net calories (I didn't know your height, so I assumed it was 5ft 6in).

p.s. If you want to get really accurate information, you should consider getting a device to monitor your heart rate.
  • verityjane87
    verityjane87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In that case using that calculation is pretty much the same as MFP! thankyou! x
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    From the internet:

Timing your walking while on your virtual treadmill, along with performing some simple math, will tell you how many calories you are burning. For each half-hour you march in place at a normal brisk pace of 120 steps per minute (about 3.5 miles per hour), you will burn an amount of calories that equals your weight in pounds.

In other words, if you weigh 150 pounds, marching in place on the virtual treadmill will burn 150 calories each half-hour, or 300 calories each hour.

To find out how many calories you are burning per minute, simply divide 150 calories per half-hour by 30 minutes, or divide 300 calories per hour by 60 minutes, which, in this case, equals 5 calories per minute.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For reference, I was 260 when I first started walking and I would burn about 250-275 cals in a half hour walking at 3mph.