HUNGRY BEFORE BED :(

Options
I notice I get really hungry before bed! Any advice on how to combat this? I've just been drinking a big glass of water, but I often wake up in the night super hungry and have to have another glass of water to try push through.

Its pretty unpleasant and I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do?

I eat my dinner around 7 every night and don't really think I can push it back because by that stage I'm ravenous...

Help!

Replies

• kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're waking in the night because you're hungry it can sometimes be your body's way of telling you you're not eating enough.

Or try saving some calories and having a small snack before bed?
  • WhiteTan
    WhiteTan Posts: 4
    Options
    I'd suggest to budget your calories throughout the day so you can afford to have a 200 calorie snack before bed, preferably with Protein, fiber, or both.
    I use to have this same problem so now I always look forward to having a mini meal before bed. I like TGI Fridays boneless wings cause I can have six-eight for 160 calories.

Otherwise, sleep deprivation is gonna hinder your results and if you're not getting at least six hours of sleep a night, you'll be burning muscle if you remain in deficit instead of fat.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few days' worth of your diary. Some days look really good, others you're WAY under, and there are days with nothing logged. I don't know if you just quit logging on the very low days or if you ate that far under your calories. If you really ate that far under, it's pretty simple to see why you're so hungry: you're not eating nearly enough. Other than that, though, I would say to possibly try adjusting your macros and getting more protein in your diet. It will keep you fuller longer, which should help. Also, perhaps allowing calories for a small snack before bed could be helpful.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    If you're waking in the night because you're hungry it can sometimes be your body's way of telling you you're not eating enough.

Or try saving some calories and having a small snack before bed?

^^^^^^^ yes agree with kuolo
  • choll80
    choll80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm hungry before bed, I have a sleepytime tea. It's calming and curbs my appetite.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I budget my calories to give me food spread throughout the day even a bedtime snack. My diary is open.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I remember telling a dietician once that I was doing pretty well, just that I was still hungry a lot. She told me to increase my fiber. When I did, my fiber shot up, and the sugar's plummeted, and I lost 12 pounds that month!

I usually have 1-2 chocolite protein bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com) a day. It helps a lot!!!

Also, go to www.retailmenot.com to get coupons to save on shipping or get something like 15% off your order.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    From the way you describe it, that sounds like true hunger, not the "munchies" that most people get at night. So I'd guess that you're simply not eating enough or not eating the right balance. A previous poster mentioned fiber. That can help some but to me, certain high fiber foods (raw carrots, apples) can just make me feel a bit more hungry. A better option would be to get more protein and healthy fats in your diet. They naturally help you stay full longer and are just flat out good for your body, especially if you're active.

Make sure you keep healthy snacks on hand that you can grab if you get these hungry feelings. Protein bars, snack bags of dried fruit and nuts (trail mix), peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, etc.

Also make sure your goals are set up correctly. With the amount of weight you have left to lose, a goal of 1/2 to 1 pound per week is ideal. Confirm your activity level is set correctly (sedentary, lightly active, etc) and that you're eating back most/all of earned exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    ^ A lot of good advice here already, just wanted to add you actually DO need fuel to sleep because your body does it's "regenerating" then! Eating past dinner/before bed will not make you gain weight, especially when you're hungry as you described as your body genuinely needs it. Try having a yogurt parfait or some oatmeal! Carby foods can actually help you sleep- so that's a bonus.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have apples with almond butter and a glass of almond milk every night and sometimes sleepytime tea.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, you are not eating enough. Do you have enough protein for dinner. I know if I just have a salad with small,amount of protein for dinner I am so hungry before bed. If I'm hungry, I will have a per packaged string cheese. They come in different kinds and under 100 calories. To me it is just the right amount of protein and fat for a treat. Best to you
  • lauranordersvu
    Options
    Those days I was lazy and didnt log what I had eaten... (usually because I went OVER)
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    what i do is have a ~300cal snack between lunch and dinner (soy milk-fruit-smoothie), which allows me to push dinner back further. could try that. :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about food...
  • alexandrachalk
    alexandrachalk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Usually I feel hungry before bedtime, so I have something like a 2% Greek Yogurt with some muesli or just plain.
    I have calculated that the one I get (Total Greek Yogurt 2%) is 170calories so I plan before accordingly.Especially if I've gone to the gym in the late afternoon I need something afterwards.I find that the yogurt makes me full yet not in a stuffed way and I sleep better.
    Just make sure it is one of those natural yogurts without the sweeteners cause some are loaded with sugar.

Eating at night was (and still is) my biggest temptation.The main reason I gained weight was that I used to eat normal and healthy all day (without pressure or thinking of it) but afterwards at night with my friends we used to order all sorts of crap (pizza-burgers etc) and wash it down with coke while watching movies.Now we stopped as we all felt that we were harming ourselves and our pockets big time so we make our own popcorn ,eat salads ,drink water and order only once a week.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eat? There is no reason not to eat before bed, unless having a full stomach bothers your sleep. I often have a 200 cal snack before bed.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Same here! I pre-budget half of a protein shake of Casein protein powder (which is slow digesting), which I have like 1-2 hours after dinner. It keeps me feeling full for the rest of the evening/night, AND it helps your muscles repair while you sleep! Half a scoop is ~60 cals of my brand. Oh and it's cinnamon roll flavored which makes for a nice "dessert." ;)
  • delosfuegos
    Options
    If I have calories left I eat a small yogurt. Depending on the yoghurt, it's relatively small in calories, easily digestible and tricks my brain and stomach into thinking I've eaten.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein based snack about an hour before bed. This helps keep my body fueled during the recovery and repair phase. You may be resting but your body is still ticking right along - feed it!