What's the best SMALL change you've made?

Options

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    A few things others have mentioned.

1. for me, this was HUGE!!! Gave up diet soda (all sodas). But I drank diet coke a LOT, had to have it to get going in the morning, then mid morning, then lunch, then mid afternoon, etc... January 2012 I cut it cold turkey - BEST decision!

2. eating more often - spreading my calories out throughout the day. Having healthy snacks mid morning & mid afternoon. This has helped me tremendously!

3. recording my food and exercise - kept me accountable to myself. I also learned about food and how to substitute. I was SHOCKED to learn about the nutritional value of the foods I WAS eating!
  • 2karma
    2karma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think planning my meals and knowing what I will have for snacks has been a big help. Most days I fill out my MFP food diary in advance, and then just follow the plan. I can always revise it, but seeing it laid out in black and white is very reassuring :)
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is a really great question because the answers could be helpful to all of us! What leaps to mind for me is shortening my workouts. Yep, because they take up less time, I do twice as many and more cardio.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Reducing the food I eat between meals.

This is also the small change That's made the most difference. No more grazing or finishing my children's leftovers :)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Trying new food. It's a hit or miss, but I have found lots of things I now love to replace unhealthy things Id eat before like brown for white rice, or sweet potato fries instead of normal fries, kale chips for snacks, etc.
  • FitLaurynn
    FitLaurynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, I too have cut out bread and it has helped me tremendously. Bread makes me feel really full and heavy and I just don't like the feeling. Good job on everything! :)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eating my meals off a lunch sized plate. Looks really full with less food on it and I stopped feeling like I was depriving myself. Mind games that work ed for me
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Cutting back all sodas - and for a zero Coke fan like myself this was really hard. And cutting all alcohol. I love beer. Love love loooove beer. And as a person who has tons of anxiety issues, going out with friends to a club without getting smashed to loosen up was scary, but it turns out I'm stronger than I thought and I could have even more fun without alcohol.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Weighing foods. It's shocking to find out how much your best guesses actually weigh on the scale sometimes!
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    sticking to portion sizes on everything
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lowering my carbs and replacing them with vegetables.
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    Thank you for your post. Your amazing weight loss is an inspiration! I do understand the feeling healthy and the wonderful buzz that is. I am on day 22 of measuring and controlling. I took it down, day by day, week by week. I feel released entirely from compulsive eating - I have so much more energy! It has been a process to get here. I wanted to give myself 30 days to change to a weight loss mode. I am in one now, it did take three weeks. Which is nothing in a life time trap. I feel so free and released. Nothing has worked for m like this gradual change program- I finally found my good health fairy! Now I just need to take a page out of your book and keep going!
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    For me, it was changing my breakfast from cereal, soya milk and fruit juice, to boiled egg, rye toast with marmite and a shot glass of coconut water. The protein and fat keep me feeling fuller longer, and my blood sugar doesn't soar and then crash mid-morning.
  • MrsH1987
    MrsH1987 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Went from 2 sugars in my coffee to none. If somebody accidentally puts sugar in my coffee, it tastes awful!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the sugar I used to add to EVERY cup of coffee in the morning (2-3 per day).
  • nathalienadine
    nathalienadine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Small changes make a big difference. I really underestimated some of my bad habits and they were playing a big part in my extra weight! Here are my small changes:

Pack a lunch for work.
    Stop buying café lattes everyday on my way to work. I treat myself to one or two a week.
    As many mentioned, logging your food is essential. I used to think I wasn`t eating so bad or that much but when I log my food, it helps me understand my habits and how to change them.
  • missismj
    missismj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sugar definitely. Last time i had tea or coffee with sugar was 5-6 years ago if not more. Funny how you taste buds can change with a little change like that.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cut out most dairy products
  • Diesel_Girl
    Options
    No sodas and no caffeinated products at all. Stopping caffeine had less to do with weight loss and more to do with the fact I was drinking so many cups of coffee and tea I wasn't getting a boost of energy from the caffeine. I could have drank a pot of coffee and immediately lain down for a nap. I spent a week snarling at people and dozing off, but now I feel more energetic than I ever have. Also, now if I actually NEED a little boost, a cup of coffee will actually do it's job. Bonus: less coffee drove me to drink more water.

^^ This! So much this! I still have one large coffee per day vs. the 2+ pots that I used to drink. I am now drinking 170+ ounces of water per day! The health benefits have been incredible in just the last couple weeks if doing so. Headaches have went away, joint pain ceased, energy levels are way up and digestion has improved tremendously. :happy:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I drink a homemade smoothie almost every day. I use 1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt, 1/2 cup wild frozen blueberries, 1/2 c. frozen raspberries, and 1/2 c. Trop50 Blueberry/pomegranate juice.

My skin is better, I feel better, and it helps me to include fruit in my diet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!