Best Walking Shoes - 100 Pounds Overweight

Options
Greetings!

I am male, 44 with over 100 pounds to lose. I'm having a hard time finding good walking shoes to start getting some base level walking exercise in. My feet are pretty wide so it's difficult to find a comfortable sustainable shoe. Any recommendations out there?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I would look into New Balance. They make up to 6E in widith.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have wide feet but I started my journey way more than 100 lb overweight (307 lb for 5'8" female) and walking miles every night in New Balance.

They are still my absolute favorite brand.
  • krclaytor
    krclaytor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely New Balance. Not sure where you live, but Academy Sports and Outdoors carries them. Decent price and fairly good selection.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    New Balance is a great shoe. Memory Foam is something I found very helpful and comforting. Good Luck!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    New Balance does seem to be the best for wide widths. See if there's an actual New Balance store near you (rather than looking at a sporting goods or department store) and the employees there might be able to make a more specific recommendation based on your weight and your needs.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I started out I just googled "Best sneakers for overweight people" or something like that. I read the different reports and went with Asics Gel Blur33, I believe. If you have a store in your area dedicated to runners, their staff should be well-equipped to view your gait and measure you properly to get you into a good shoe. I didn't put a lot of money into my first shoes because I knew my body would be adjusting and would let me know what it needed once I really got into it more. I still have my Asics, but picked up a pair of Merrel minimal shoes with grippy toes for strength classes since I now know where I get the aches and pains specific to my workouts (whereas earlier the pains were simply because I was out of shape, lol).
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i've lost the majority of my weight just doing walking as an exercise, i don't have proper shoes though :ohwell: if you can't find any that fit you, then perhaps for the time being just do it in your regular shoes, you may find your feet shrink in width as you lose weight
    good luck x
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I bought some New Balance shoes for running in-store. They did a wonderful job figuring out what sort of support I need. They just watched me walk and figured out I was flat footed. It was amazing. They do the fitting for free; you just tell them what it's for and what sort of terrain you're dealing with and they figure out the rest. If you can get to a store, I would definitely do that, rather than ordering them online.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to sign on to the New Balance bandwagon.

Definitely look for a walking shoe. And unless you have foot-pain problems, don't look for cushioning shoes. Rather go for motion-control. The extra cushioning is designed to help the feet, and counter-intuitively can actually be worse for the knees and hips which can be a bigger issue for heavy people (I started out 120 lbs overweight).

The NB847 is supposed to be a really good shoe for walking, but I don't know how it is for widths.
  • Lenindaire
    Lenindaire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i have found asics to be good also. i am 90lbs overweight , i walk and also do some circuit training in them.
  • chase6470
    chase6470 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions - it sounds like New Balance has it's fans for people in my situation - and there is a New Balance store relatively close to me (Aurora, IL).