mostly clean eating, dairy, weight loss

Morning everyone! I have been trying to eat a little healthier while trying to lose weight.
I was given a meal plan for clean eating by a friend and it omits dairy.
Is there a rel reason for this? in the realm of weight loss, I don't want to hear about how unhealthy milk is because I have read all of that info, just tell me if a glass of milk is going to cause an issue with weight loss because i feel that it has been very slow going for me, and I know her answer will probably be that I have been having dairy.
Average day for me has been:

smoothie: 1/2 banana, blueberries, cucumber, melon, raw plain whey protein plain cocoa powder
1 poached egg with 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash
1/2 ounce of low fat cheese
cup of decaf coffee with milk and a little maple syrup
chicken breast with veggies and 1/2 cup sweet potato
1/2 cup of oatmeal made with milk sugar butter (not a lot)
dinner is usually salad with protein, maybe cheese or avocado
sometimes i have a yogurt at night and before i sleep maybe 1/2 cup milk

I am very comfortable with this diet i don't feel very hungry like i usually do so i would like to continue like this
thanks!! also saturday i weighed in at 160 i didnt believe it so i loved the scale and then it was 159 then it was 164 and stayed at 164, now today its 166 wtf??

Thank you

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Calorie deficit=weight loss

Unless there is a medical reason, you don't have to eliminate anything.

eta:
    read this link and all of the links in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    A lot of weight loss research actually says a glass of milk is helpful in weight loss. There are signs all over my gym that say that 8 ozs. of chocolate milk is the perfect recovery snack after a workout (not the same as losing weight, I know). I lost a total of over 30 lbs at one time (I am up a little from there right now but getting back down) and I never gave up dairy of any kind. I eat yogurt and cheese every single day.

So...eat what you want, pretty much. Just eat less of it. You will be fine.
  • 031sandy
    031sandy Posts: 13 Member
    nah, I have plenty of dairy everyday and am losing. :smile:
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    I can really answer.

But i have been cleaning eating for the past few weeks. Only failed this weekend but shall be back on it tomorrow.

I dont have no coffee at all. But the milk thing i wouldn't say it would stop you at all since you can have it with oatmeal for breakie.

I just have toast for breakie. Lunch salad with boiled egg maybe chopped chicken. Dinner be the same as lunch but maybe a jacket potato or fish instead of chicken and so far i have lost in those 4 weeks 14lbs. Which is brillant for me.

I have noticed people posting saying this is unhealthy way on losing weight but i just wanna add also that my second week i was on my period and lost nothing the third week i had a sickness bug and couldn't keep no food down. So at the end of week 3 i had lost 9lbs and have still kept it of. plus i have lost another 2 pound since.

Just keep at it hun takes time and patience and alot of hard work.

Oh and drink as much water as you can a day it help also. (ive never drank so much before lol) xxx
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I have not cut anything out of my diet and I've lost over 90 and still going. I eat cheese and yogurt every day and ice cream most days. Personally I don't care for milk so I don't drink it.

Everything in moderation, everything. Unless you find that something doesn't agree with you or it is contraindicated for medical reasons.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit, so eat whatever you want as long as it fits your calorie goal. Eat "clean" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Your weight will fluctuate, so weigh yourself once a week, and take photos & measurements, too.

I agree with nomeejerome. Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Hang in there babe :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If this way of eating appeals to you, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I drink at least 2 glasses of milk a day, not counting yogurt and various cheeses and I have managed to lose more than 80 pounds. If you like clean eating then by all means, and if you like clean eating "with a twist" like you are doing, then go for it. Similarly, if you like eating "dirty".. VERY dirty like I'm doing, then all power to you - as long as you hit your macros and micros. The main thing that you should stay focused on is not to overdo it often with the calories. That's easier to accomplish if you increase your workouts.

Have you eaten a little bit more calories/carbs/sodium in the last few days? If you have, then your weight gain is a normal fluctuation. Don't fret, it will come back down in no time.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Morning everyone! I have been trying to eat a little healthier while trying to lose weight.
    Is there a rel reason for this? in the realm of weight loss, I don't want to hear about how unhealthy milk is because I have read all of that info, just tell me if a glass of milk is going to cause an issue with weight loss because i feel that it has been very slow going for me, and I know her answer will probably be that I have been having dairy.
    Average day for me has been:

smoothie: 1/2 banana, blueberries, cucumber, melon, raw plain whey protein plain cocoa powder
    1 poached egg with 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash
    1/2 ounce of low fat cheese
    cup of decaf coffee with milk and a little maple syrup
    chicken breast with veggies and 1/2 cup sweet potato
    1/2 cup of oatmeal made with milk sugar butter (not a lot)
    dinner is usually salad with protein, maybe cheese or avocado
    sometimes i have a yogurt at night and before i sleep maybe 1/2 cup milk

I am very comfortable with this diet i don't feel very hungry like i usually do so i would like to continue like this
    thanks!! also saturday i weighed in at 160 i didnt believe it so i loved the scale and then it was 159 then it was 164 and stayed at 164, now today its 166 wtf??

Thank you

I drink milk every day. I've lost 40 lbs. So no, you don't need to cut milk to lose weight.

As for what's happening with the scale. Weight fluctuates.

Did you work out a lot over the weekend? Your muscles will hold water after a lot of exercise making the scale go up.
    Did you eat more salt than usual (dining out for example)? This will cause water retention making the scale go up.
    Is your period coming up? Again this will cause water retention making the scale go up.

If seeing normal weight fluctuation is going to stress you out, you might not want to weigh yourself every day. Rather, do it once a week, at the same time, wearing about the same amount of clothing. But, if you can accept that it goes up and down a bit, and can look at the overall trend without making yourself tense, then you'll be okay with every day.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    I use to stick to the once a week weighing but at first i was weighing more because i wanted to make sure i was on the right track. i do eat a little "dirty" i was eating whatever as long as it fit in my calories, but ended up eating too much sugar and fat so sating in my macros was hard when not eating a little cleaner.
    also yeah I may be bloated because of my cycle but I just feel liikt for all the work I am putting in it's so slow.
    I did 10 weeks of T25 and now I am on to P90X3 first week.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I don't really eat 'clean' at all, I stay healthy and can lose weight fine (now looking to gain a little).

If you've been given a 'clean eating' diet, I'd suggest the dairly thing is probably because they have read some OTHER non-scientific fad, not investigated it and decided to believe it.

Personally I've never liked 'meal plans' - I just choose what to eat based on what I fancy that I can make fit my body's needs for the goals I have.
  • Stephiestephs
    Yeah at first I was eating whatever I wanted within my calories, but I was going over my sugar and fat doing that. So eating a little healthier I feel like I am staying within my macros easier. Plus bread really really bloats me so I wanted to cut that down significantly.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    I personally don't believe that cutting anything 100% from eating unless necessary... I can do PLAIN greek yogurt but god forbid I touch milk, cheese or a flavored greek yogurt, I could clear an entire city block!!! I have cottage cheese but have not tried that just yet, aftaid of the horrid stomach pain if I am not able to do it... sure my dogs won't be happy with the gas and running to the bathroom every 5 mins either..TMI I know but lactose intolerant is a PIA!! try playing with your "macros" maybe change them to 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat... that is what I am doing now since I am doing insanity again (I love shaun t!), jogging to prep for color run with my friend in october as well.. I have my calories set to 1900 but rarely get to them... hard eating when your just not hungry...
  • Stephiestephs
    thanks for your input everyone. I still feel a little defeated because my weight seems to have gone up over the last couple weeks and i have been working harder than ever.
  • Stephiestephs
    as i expected my friends are telling me that i HAVE to cut out milk and dairy or i will never lose weight. this is so incredibly frustrating
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Glancing back through your diary, you're not logging consistently. On the days you do log, it looks like you're weighing things with a scale and doing it right. What is your eating like on the days you're not logging?

My eating is neither clean nor dirty. I have dairy every day, usually in the form of plain greek yogurt in a smoothie. But, I won't say no to a piece of aged cheddar every few days, or some ice cream on the weekend, or a glass of milk with a cookie. My 33 lbs lost in less than 5 months says you can lose weight while eating dairy (and eschewing clean eating).
  • Stephiestephs
    i had the flu over the last week and a half so i just was too messed up to log everything. i have been logging long enough to know i probably didnt go over my calories over the last 2 weeks tho.
    my friend is telling me i must continue to cut more things from my diet and more calories, i have about 30 pounds to lose but by the time i get to the last 5 pounds i will be eating a head of lettuce a day if i follow those rules.
    in the middle of the day i like to have a cup of decaf coffee or a homemade hot chocolate it helps curb my appetite so that i dont binge of whatever is around the house
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    It's true we do have to cut down on calories as we lose weight - smaller bodies need less to keep them going. But I call bs on having to cut whole "things" out of a diet in order to still lose weight.

Weight loss isn't linear. It bounces around naturally, and if you were sick, your body might be holding on to more water or more weight. I wouldn't be concerned that you're "stuck" for a few days. A few months I'd worry, but a few days, especially when you've been sick is totally normal. Concentrate on feeling better and keep doing what you're doing. You've lost weight all ready, so you know it works.
  • Stephiestephs
    thanks, i lost about 8 pounds in 11 weeks i feel like after all the deprivation, logging and busting my *kitten* excersizing it should be at least 12 pounds in that time
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member

The only reason to omit dairy, in my opinion, is if you have an intolerance to either dairy itself or lactose [like I do]. If this is the case, then it can impact on your weight loss due to excessive bloating and not having your guts work properly. Otherwise, it's a really good source of a lot of really good stuff! Just make sure you're taking accurate measurements of how much you consume - 10g of cheese is not much at all!