Walking outside vs going to the gym

Options
I currently go to the gym 5-6 times a week, and have been doing so since January. Now that the weather is (finally) starting to get nice, I like to take my daughter outside for walks (pushing a stroller). I use a HRM so I know I burn 500-600 calories while walking, but I can't help but feel guilty about skipping the gym on those days. I know walking is a lower impact than what I do at the gym, but it's still just as adequate for weight loss, right?

Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    start running outside!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    First, don't use a HRM for walking its inaccurate.. unless your walking 4 miles, your not near 500 calories..

Second, yes lower impact is adequate for weight loss, just takes longer to burn the same amount of calories as say HIIT or running..

You can always run behind the stroller with a steady jog.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    HRM will be very inaccurate since you aren't doing intense cardio. The likely hood of burning that many calories is almost none. But you can walk outside as oppose to the gym if that is your preference. You just have to realize that burning less calories will make you eat less calories.
  • bobbietaylor733
    Options
    I walk 4+ km at least 5 days a week with a large incline, using walking weights(ankle and hand). I also use my HRM and it`s usually around 320 or so for me, but I walk this distance within an hour. Also I try and get my heart rate up by doing a jogging/walking mix....... I need to walk outside in the sun for my mental health....It`s just as important to me as my physical health. Hope this helps.... :happy:
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Get outside and walk! If you don't want to keep going to the gym, there are so great workout videos on Youtube. I'm trying to get out more and walk more now that the nice weather has finally arrived. I downloaded Run Keeper on my phone and use that to track my calories. You can set it to walk if you are just out walking.
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    dup
  • JillianJiggs7
    Options
    We are usually gone for 2 hours, give or take and the last time we walked 13k! It definitely depends on her mood though, lol! There is so much more to see outside, and nice days are few are far between here, so I hate to miss them to go to the gym, kwim?
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's totally acceptable. It's good for you and for your kid. Enjoy it while it lasts!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    We are usually gone for 2 hours, give or take and the last time we walked 13k! It definitely depends on her mood though, lol! There is so much more to see outside, and nice days are few are far between here, so I hate to miss them to go to the gym, kwim?

I believe walking is just as good for burning calories as any other cardio... it takes longer.

I've been walking the same 4.9 miles in 1 hour, 22 minutes for about 6 years (it's my relaxing workout). I have an HRM, which i update with losses or gains. My HRM shows me at 500 - 600 calories in that time frame, depending how hot it is outside. I usually record it as 350 - 400 calories burned, because i account for error and for the calories that my body would have burned anyway, if i didn't workout. I love walking through my neighborhood and enjoying the sunshine and just the beautiful world we live in.

If you enjoy it, DO IT! It burns calories.

BTW, I also track this walk with MapMyWalk and it also shows close to the calories burned on my HRM. I have a chest strap for my HRM.

I read somewhere, moderate workout can burn up to 10 calories per minute. Has anyone read this also?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you're coming from. Walking (and running) outside is awesome! I learned a bit of a lesson last week though. It was cold and rainy so I stayed in and did a workout video (circuit training type) and could hardly believe how much strength I'd lost in a few short weeks - and boy was I in pain for the next 3-4 days! So if you've been doing strength training in the gym, try to keep it up by at least going a couple days a week. I try to schedule those days around the weather but sometimes I just have to force myself to stay in and get it done because I know it'll benefit me in the long run.

Also, if you're going that far, it sounds to me like your HRM is probably right but do try to really push it as much as you can - walk faster, maybe even add some running/jogging intervals, incorporate hills into your route, etc.

Have fun!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I walk 4+ km at least 5 days a week with a large incline, using walking weights(ankle and hand). I also use my HRM and it`s usually around 320 or so for me, but I walk this distance within an hour. Also I try and get my heart rate up by doing a jogging/walking mix....... I need to walk outside in the sun for my mental health....It`s just as important to me as my physical health. Hope this helps.... :happy:

Off topic, but I'm going to throw it out there. You really should be careful about those weights. IMHO, you shouldn't use them at all. Ankle weights and hand weights can/do really hose up your joints.