Exercise time?

katelyn002
katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so im a stay at home mom as some of you know. And yea, alot of people would think i could work out whenever! But with three kids... well thats not possible.

My question is... Do you all think its easier to wake up early before any intuurrptions (so like 5 or 5:30) and work out, or wait till nap time which changes daily, and sometimes get inturrpted, or wait for night time arond 8:30-9 pm to work out?

Whats your thoughts... thanks!

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    I always found it easier to wake up early and get it over with. W/kids it's hard to do it in the evening because something always comes up.
  • Okay so im a stay at home mom as some of you know. And yea, alot of people would think i could work out whenever! But with three kids... well thats not possible.

My question is... Do you all think its easier to wake up early before any intuurrptions (so like 5 or 5:30) and work out, or wait till nap time which changes daily, and sometimes get inturrpted, or wait for night time arond 8:30-9 pm to work out?

Whats your thoughts... thanks!

I prefer working out at night but the cliched answer is the best time for working out is the one you can fit into your schedule. That doesn't really help you at all though, haha, so... I'd go with nighttime.

Wind everything up for the day --> Power through workout --> Warm shower --> Go to sleep rested.

(Something like that.)
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    They say if you do it in the morning you'll have more energy during the day. I don't know though, I try to get up at 4:00 to get a workout in and it hasn't happened yet.
  • I would work out when works best for you. I don't have children, but with interruptions that won't make for a very productive workout. I would say in the evening when the children are down and out then you can really focus. If getting up earlier will work better than do it, but don't exhaust yourself by losing sleep too... make sure you are getting a healthy amount of sleep.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 237 Member
    I have 2 yr old twins, and actually the best time for me is early in the morning. If I can't fit it in the morning then I do it when they take a nap which can be at different times as you said or sometimes not at all, lol.

When that happens I pop a dvd in or play on of my dancing games for the Wii, and put a remote in their hands so they think they're playing to!
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    I've got two little ones too, and my schedule with them changes from seasons and there age. In the summer we walk to the park which is about 5-6 blocks to the one I like. Then I walk around the walkway one time before the playground and one time after which is 10min speed walking around.(stroller so I can actually get a work out). Then when the younger one is napping I normally try to get something in. Since it's winter, cold and snow. I've been getting about 35 minutes in the morning on my exercise bike. Yes there are a few times that I have to stop and help but I do it fast so I can get back on. They keep themselfs busy at the table coloring or playdoh.
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    I am so NOT a morning person. If I could I would prefer to do it early, I think it would help me stay on track all day. I do have a 15 minute abdominal CD and my goal for the new year is to do this first thing in the morning and the rest of my exercises around 5 pm. And no eating after 8 pm. Just make sure it is a schedule that works for you - if you have small kids it may have to changed according to their schedules.
  • What about just playing with your kids? What about taking your kids for walks, going for bike rides or things of that nature?
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    I am a mom of four....and have always used my kids as the reason I haven't taken care of myself!!!! NO more...I am losing weight for them too!! So, I can be around a lot longer!!!
    My girls are 14, 11, 11 and 4.....and guess what....I have gotten them all involved with my work out!! The four year old does not last long...but she is learning that it is necessary to exercise!!! So, she will do as much as she can and then go to dad to talk about all that she has done!!
    My 14 year old....likes to hang with mom and keep me honest about my pace!!!
    The 11 year old twins....they work out with me too.......they are both pretty heavy and it will be good for them to learn a health lifestyle.....
    My suggestion is get your children involved with you!!! Make it a family affair.....they will help you honest and on track!!!!
    My girls have been a major help!!!
  • Alright bike rides are out of the question but use the stroller and take them for walks. Do intervals where you walk fast for a minute or two then slow down for a minute or two and alternate. Or walk/jog depending on fitness level. Hold you child against your chest and squat them a few times. There are a lot of things you could do, you don't necessarily need to do a "workout". Just staying active is a good thing and it's hard not to remain active with young children.
  • If you can actually drag your butt out of bed earlier than everyone else and exercise, it will boost you for the entire day. After doing it a few times, you'll look forward to getting up and going at it. You do always have to follow a specific exercise plan though... with 3 kids, I can think of PLENTY of "work-outs" involving them.
  • My exercise time is usually early in the morning but I always have a plan B ;)

I have 3 kids too (9, 6, and 4) & a lot of time I'll get some fun time in with them & exercise by.....hula hooping, jumping on the trampoline, cranking up the radio to dance, put in a zumba DVD, play with the kinect, chase, baseball, football, etc. Lots of possibilities!
  • katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Thanks EVERYONE!! These really help me out, i think ill try a few different things over the next few days and see whats best, thanks again!!
  • My wife used to teach 'mom and tot' classes when the kids were younger. Not a real intense workout, but another option if u can find any in your area. It all adds up and could supplement your own personal routine. Now all 3 are in school so she can do her own thing during the day

I personally go to gym early. I can still be home to help get kids on the bus before work.
This discussion has been closed.