Purchase Exercise Equipment or Gym Membership

Options
I wanted to get everyones oppinion - I am on a strick budget but wanting to either purchase an Eliptical or join a gym but I can't decide which would be the most beneficial to me. I could only afford an elliptical $300 or less and i have no clue if one for that price range is worth it, but not sure the gym is a right answer either. I know I need to do one or the other but torn. Anyone else had to make this decision? What is everyones thoughts?? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• rlgre8
    rlgre8 Posts: 6
    Options
    I would like to either make a purchase today or join today so any help in deciding would be great!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would join a gym. You can walk or run outside for free. No need to purchase a machine for that. Spend your money on a gym. its more likely to keep you motivated.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical last week, and I'm very happy with it so far. Having exercise equipment in my apartment lets me save time on driving to and from a gym, and I don't have to worry about anyone else using the equipment that I want to use (or getting it all germy). Walking or running outside isn't that ideal for me, because I do my workouts at 4:30 in the morning and I don't really like to be outside when it's dark. I also like to watch Netflix while I'm on the elliptical.

But gyms are definitely useful because you get access to more equipment and like ninav1980 said, it keeps you motivated.
  • rlgre8
    Options
    If you dont mind me asking - what kind of elliptical did you purchase?
  • angies6pack
    angies6pack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had an elliptical but after my initial motivation wore off, I barely used it. I really wanted a treadmill but my hubby wanted the elliptical and then never used it! I went ahead and got a membership to my local gym and love it. Because I'm paying for it, I feel alot more motivated to use it and after my initial fears of going to the gym wore off, I realized what a cool place it can be. It really helps to see other people like myself working out and I'm able to watch them use the equipment and pick up tips on what to do. I've also made some friends that way. HTH!
  • rlgre8
    Options
    I had an elliptical but after my initial motivation wore off, I barely used it. I really wanted a treadmill but my hubby wanted the elliptical and then never used it! I went ahead and got a membership to my local gym and love it. Because I'm paying for it, I feel alot more motivated to use it and after my initial fears of going to the gym wore off, I realized what a cool place it can be. It really helps to see other people like myself working out and I'm able to watch them use the equipment and pick up tips on what to do. I've also made some friends that way. HTH!

Thanks so much! That is what I am afraid of, the new wearing off, plus i have very few friends here (I havent lived here long) so maybe that would be a good way to meet people. Good thought! thanks!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I say think about all the other equipment you can buy. ME, I wouldn't buy an elliptical. They take up too much space and 9 times out of 10 they end up being clothes hangers.

I would buy a bench and freeweights and barbells. Or a rowing machine. But that's me.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get everyones oppinion - I am on a strick budget but wanting to either purchase an Eliptical or join a gym but I can't decide which would be the most beneficial to me. I could only afford an elliptical $300 or less and i have no clue if one for that price range is worth it, but not sure the gym is a right answer either. I know I need to do one or the other but torn. Anyone else had to make this decision? What is everyones thoughts?? Thanks for your help!

and for the price range, it dont' think it's worth it. It sounds kind of low end. unless it's a good used machine.
  • rlgre8
    Options

and for the price range, it dont' think it's worth it. It sounds kind of low end. unless it's a good used machine.

Thats what i was worried about - would it be just waisting my money. Thanks
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I bought a NordicTrack (can't remember the model). It was around $520. Unfortunately when it comes to ellipticals, you get what you pay for. $500 gets you a decent machine, but don't expect a lot of bells or whistles. It works and it's quiet, and it's sturdy so it should last a while. For me, I went through the same debate of purchasing equipment or a gym membership. I just feel that in the long run, the gym membership would be more expensive for me. And buying a machine that I see every day is extra incentive for me to use it frequently.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Gym membership. All day.

I've been a member at a gym for almost 4 years and I go regularly.

I have a higher end elliptical that I now use to hang dry clothes on. Having only one workout to do at home isn't very beneficial and it gets boring - FAST!

Actually having to go into a gym is motivating and having other people around is nice too. Gives you the feeling that you have to keep going.

To each their own, however.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership, a rowing machine, and an elliptical (and some free weights/bench). The gym allows me to work out at lunchtime at work. The home machines are good for activities while watching shows at home.