CALLING ALL PARENTS!

Options
judith3
judith3 Posts: 296 Member
Hello! I would really appreciate it if you could answer the questions bellow. I need them to complete an assignment for my College of Education and really need the input! Thanks ahead of time!

1. How do you feel about your child's school?
2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school?
3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture?
4. Do you feel welcome at the school?
5. What changes need to be made at the school?
6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school?
7. What do you think would improve your child's education?
8. What are your plans for your child's future?
9. How can the school help achieve that goal?

Replies

• judith3
    Options
    PLEASE!
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My daughter isn't in school yet or I'd be happy to answer- good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would really appreciate it if you could answer the questions bellow. I need them to complete an assignment for my College of Education and really need the input! Thanks ahead of time!

1. How do you feel about your child's school? I like the school. We specifically moved to where we are for this school.

2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? We receive regular notes from the school and our daughter's teacher, and we do get some phone calls for certain things.

3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture? Yes.

4. Do you feel welcome at the school? Yes.

5. What changes need to be made at the school? I'm not sure yet. This is her first year here and so far it's been good.

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? I do wish her teacher would pick up the phone more.

7. What do you think would improve your child's education? She's on the right track.

8. What are your plans for your child's future? Medical school.

9. How can the school help achieve that goal? She's in a magnet school and they do push her. She's still very young and right now I'm more worried about her developing a love for learning (which she has) as well as starting to build solid study habits.

Answers above.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

1. How do you feel about your child's school? I love their schools.
    2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? We get emails at least once a week.
    3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture? Yes and yes.
    4. Do you feel welcome at the school? Always.
    5. What changes need to be made at the school? I really have no requests in the regard.
    6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? Great regular and consistent communication. Very different from the last twin we lived in.
    7. What do you think would improve your child's education? Even greater variety in class options ( my 6 the grader would love the learn Chinese, for example).
    8. What are your plans for your child's future? College, but what field will be up to them. 6 the grade daughter wants to be a transplant surgeon. 4th grade daughter wants to be a Marine or a scientist.
    9. How can the school help achieve that goal? Help nurture their learning encourage them to want and be proud of academic success.

My answers are above following each question. I love our local schools and my kids are doing well so I may not be the most helpful re: areas of improvement, etc.
  • judith3
    Options
    Thank You!!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Oh, you better get ready for this rant:

1. How do you feel about your child's school? They are not hard enough on the kids. There are no consequences when the kids misbehave except that supplied by their parents (or not supplied in most cases). They need a gifted program, the stupid kids are holding back the curriculum so the smarter kids aren't challenged and grow bored. Their PE program is an absolute joke. When I found out what they did in PE I started making my kids do calisthenics at home because they couldn't even do 5 pushups!

2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? They leave me about 5 voicemails a day. Sometimes, 1 of them contains pertinent information but they leave so many of them I seldom get the important message out of annoyance because I delete them all. I don't have 20 minutes to spend listening to ridiculous school announcements. The messages will frequently be completely asinine (announcing the lunch menu, leaving messages about grades that my kids aren't in or activities that they do not participate in)

3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture? No, the school strives to meet the requirements of the standardized testing from which they derive their federal grants. The kids are prepared for tests, not for life.

4. Do you feel welcome at the school? No, I am white and a majority of the people who work at the school are hispanic, as are a majority of the students. Whenever I go to the school everyone stares at me funny and THEN THEY ACT SURPRISED AND OFFENDED THAT I DON'T RESPOND TO THEM WHEN THEY TALK TO ME IN SPANISH!!!! WE ARE IN AMERICA! INSIDE OF A TAX PAYER-FUNDED INSTITUTION. LEARN THE ****ING LANGUAGE IF YOU WANT TO LIVE HERE! I WOULD NOT MOVE TO GERMANY AND EXPECT ALL THE GERMANS TO LEARN ENGLISH! ITS PLAIN, DISRESPECTFUL!

5. What changes need to be made at the school? They need to A) teach in English. If a kid doesn't speak English, they should be placed in a special class where they will focus on the language until they can join a regular class. It isn't fair to any of the kids to have to listen to the teacher say everything two times (once in English and once in Spanish). It would benefit everyone if they split them up and focused on the things that the specific groups of kids needed to learn. B) Start teaching things that will help the kids succeed in life. Right now they ONLY teach skills that will help them to do well on the standardized tests that they seem to be taking endlessly.

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? They communicate too much. So much that everyone's sick of hearing it and no one listens anymore.

7. What do you think would improve your child's education? Leaving the school district. We used to home school which was wonderful but my wife went back to college so she can't facilitate that for the kids anymore.

8. What are your plans for your child's future? My kids will all go to college and continue on to whatever career they choose. Our oldest wants to be an FBI field agent. He is 13 and we have already planned out the necessary steps for him to achieve his goal based on recommendations made by family that we have who work as Narcs in the FBI. Our 10 year old daughter wants to be an attorney. Our 8 year old son wants to be an engineer and our 1 year old baby wants to suck boobs, which she does plenty of. I don't know what she wants to be when she grows up though. Hopefully it doesn't involve sucking her mom's boobs because once she's weened that's my job ;)

9. How can the school help achieve that goal? honestly, until they address the language barrier i doubt they will have ever be an effective educational institution. How can you teach a class full of students that cannot communicate with one another or with the teacher effectively? They also have a bunch of ridiculous ways to show kids how to do things that make the kids very confused. My kids will come home with a homework assignment that they don't understand (usually math). I will read the instructions at the top of the worksheet and conclude that they were written by Forest Gump. Then I will show the kids how to do it the way i was taught in school and they instantly understand it and can work the problems proficiently with no problems at all. Then their teacher gets mad that I showed them another way to do it claiming that, "The students all need to work out the problems the same way." Umm, I'm sorry Mrs. Teacher, aren't you supposed to teach the kids how to do things? Well, when you instruct them they get confused because it's overly complicated bull**** and when I instruct them they get it. I guess your method sucks and you should acknowledge that and fix it instead of becoming combative. Cliffs: My kids teacher can go **** herself.

I forgot to mention, we moved to this school district out of necessity. The company I was working for went out of business due to the new healthcare laws so i was forced to move to take another job and had to get a place right away (by right away I mean 3 days!) We are currently shopping for houses to buy in a different school district.

it is sufficient to say that the schools are so regulated everywhere that the teachers aren't able to teach anymore. I live in TX which doesn't have common core but from what I understand it is much worse in other states. I went to school in a little, impoverished school house in rural Mississippi with about 20 kids per grade but the education that I got was far superior than what is being taught today. My first two years of college were review and i was biochemistry major. That is something that these bloated, over-funded beurocracies cannot claim. Most of these kids are set up for failure. Even if they make it to college they will not be prepared to succeed. We have applied for charter schools but the waiting lists are gigantic so we haven't gotten the kids into one yet as this is our first year in Dallas.

End Rant
  • judith3
    Options
    How would you feel if the school gave you the opportunity to choose which type of communication you would like to receive? and what things would you prefer the teacher communicated over the phone?
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture?
    1. I loved any of the schools my kids went to. it was school of choice where we lived so I chose their school
    2. I was always on pto, football boards, baseball association boards, athletic association. I probably made up some of those activites/decision.
    3. Yes, and yes
    4. Yes, I volunteered at all of my kids schools. they always need helpers.
    5. I think gym should be a requirement at all grades, still working on this one
    6. Strengths: an online site to monitor your kids work/grades/teacher comments
    Weaknesses: I don't have any complaints, my kid is in honors and high school now. the older two are in college'
    I am assuming you mean to ask about grade school and not college
    7. Be a volunteer if you want improvement. As for my kid>> I think he has great teachers and mentors and he looks up to them
    8. College. I have no doubt he will do something smart like on the line of business. computers, game development. etc
    9. Helping me to coax him into early college credit classes. lol. I keep trying. with him but he wants to wait.

Hope this helps out. I always have felt that if you don't like the school or its policies volunteer, get on a board, or change the school.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if the school gave you the opportunity to choose which type of communication you would like to receive? and what things would you prefer the teacher communicated over the phone?

I suppose that would be better, in theory. However, I doubt that the school staff have the competence to administer that policy effectively. It would have ti be set up in an idiot-proof automated format and I'm sure that the school isn't willing to pony up that much dough for something that doesn't cause extra convenience for themselves. Even if they were, the way they teach the kids would still be flawed on a fundamental level; a level which fixing a communications system would not address.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Real education is lacking, my son cannot even tell me what he learns in school. He is ten and tells me I "talk to smart", we communicate through email because we are estranged, however what he tells me doesn't leave me much hope for my daughter (fifteen months) my son is in the midst of common core and a lot of the things that were taught during my schooling are now considered null and void for education. However, they need more time with our children?

A school open for suggestion is a nice idea, but let's face it if they do not want teachers straying off the curriculum put forth why are they even going to consider the parents?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I can't see the whole post to answer all of the questions, as when I'm replying I can't scroll up to keep looking at the post. You can Message me the questions if you want
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1. How do you feel about your child's school? *** It is average. I don't think it is the most amazing school out there but it is perfectly adequate and the teachers are great about keeping in touch. ***

2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? ***Email alerts and letters home, along with website announcements***

*** I think they do the best they can. My daughters are in K and 2 (Also, I am a teacher so I am biased) but I think TAs or paras in the classroom would help differentiate for ability and behavior. My daughters have no aides in their classes except the TSS for kids with special needs.

4. Do you feel welcome at the school? *** Yes--there are many family activities and opportunities to volunteer***

5. What changes need to be made at the school? *** More paras, more differentiating--I don't think my 8 year old is challenged***

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? *** N/A--their communication is fine***

7. What do you think would improve your child's education? *** More differentiating. My daughter has been working on things she mastered a long time ago. I know the Common Core spirals but I feel like she could be challenged a bit more. Usually when she finishes early, she just gets MORE work--which discourages her. I would rather see her get more challenging work that would take her longer than just get EXTRA work on the concepts she has already mastered. Also, more time in arts and PE/recess--once they hit 5th grade, recess is gone.***

8. What are your plans for your child's future? *** For both of them to be happy. The face of higher education will change a lot as they both grow. I don't feel that college is worth it unless you are getting a specialized degree. I would rather she hold off on college if she isn't sure what she wants, or get a 2 year degree in a trade/technology than get a degree just to get a degree (says the Communications major who ended up going back 5 years later for a specialized degree )***

9. How can the school help achieve that goal? ***As they get older encourage job shadowing, career inventories, etc. Find ways to increase young women's participation in STEM fields. ***
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Love it, but needs more stability in the principal's office...we've been through 3 this year
    Email and texts
    Yes. No - exceptionally bright students are in dire need of more work/higher standards, challenged students get the most attention
    Absolutely yes
    Stop babying the 5th and 6th graders so much, they aren't prepped for middle school
    No complaints here
    Higher standards, more training for teachers
    College/academic scholarship
    They are already working to this
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    1. How do you feel about your child's school? I have no problems with the school at all..
    2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school?Web site, Facebook site, Teacher e-mails, snow days by phone, text and email.
    3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture? I think they try. They have a limited budget and competition to keep teachers because they are surrounded by higher paying states.
    4. Do you feel welcome at the school? yes.
    5. What changes need to be made at the school? Better pay for teachers
    6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? I don't know..
    7. What do you think would improve your child's education? more fun with learning.
    8. What are your plans for your child's future? College...
    9. How can the school help achieve that goal? Prepare them better in the later years.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

I LOVE his current school and wish we had started him there years earlier (it's an alternative school for kids who don't do well in the traditional high-school setting).

They are good about emailing parents to let them know what's up, because kids are terrible at delivering notes home.

YES-- the alternative school does, succesfully. Even the best traditional school seems to fail at this.

Yes

Can't think of any!

Frequent emails are great. Phone calls, too, and not just when there is a problem. Positive communication is important. In the traditional schools, it seems you only ever get an email or a call when your kid already has an unsalvageable failing grade or is in trouble for a fight that could have been prevented with some advance notice that an issue was brewing.

He's a senior now, and I regret that we didn't have the alternative high school available much earlier in his career. The traditional high school really dropped the ball.

Encourage him to explore jobs to get an idea of what he really wants to do with his life, then support him in training/education to meet his goals.

Enable him successfully to acquire his diploma.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    1. How do you feel about your child's school? I love it. I use my Dad's address so she can go to the better school in my area. Both schools are within a mile from my home but my dad's is so much better.

2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? So far no problems but my daughter is a good kid so we have not had any issues.

3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture? I really do.

4. Do you feel welcome at the school? Yes

5. What changes need to be made at the school? Nothing education but I do not like that the office door is past the school gate so the gate stays open all day. The principal told me about a kid who walked off campus once and I freaked out after Sandy Hook because it is not hard to just walk on. I have gotten my child from class before without even going into the office to sign in as a guest. It is dangerous. Not to mention the school is less than 1/2 mile from the courthouse and local jail.

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? They have recently started sending students to other teachers for specific things. One teacher does math, another one science so it is a nice intro to what she will be doing next year in middle sachool. But all my communication is with her main teacher. I have always felt I could email her teachers and get a fast and nice response to any concerns I may have.

7. What do you think would improve your child's education? Can't think of anything at this time.

8. What are your plans for your child's future? Anything that makes her happy as long as she has her education and she is being a productive member of society.

9. How can the school help achieve that goal? Just keep doing what they are doing. Elementary school is hard to gauge because they are still so young. I am sure I will have more opinions once she starts 6th grade at a different school and then once she goes to high school in 3 years.

Good luck on your report. If this is about the common core- I sadly don't know too much about it (I should- my sister is a teacher at another school and hates it) but the things I have heard don't sound too good.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    got 4 kids at 3 different schools

1. How do you feel about your child's school? i think all 3 of the schools are excellent

2. How do you find out about the activities and decisions of your school? letters home, text messages, and really big things school meetings are held at various points during the day to try and insure parents who work can attend

3. Do you think that the school strives to meet the needs of its students? Is it successful in this venture?yes and no, 2 of my children have got additional needs, while my youngest who is in the process of being diagnosed and will probably end up being labelled as disabled (severe problems with walking :cry: ) is being catered for, with the school literally bending over backwards to make things easier, my eldest boy has behavioral problems (adhd, odd, autism, conduct disorder, tantrum dysregulation disorder) and no matter which school he goes to they seem unable to cope, they always claim they can at first, whilst i really do appreciate the fact that it is difficult to deal with my son, and he is in a class with 30+ other students, constantly riding him about not making eye contact, then punishing him with detentions and days in isolation for the same thing when it is part of his diagnosis, is like telling a kid off for sneezing he can't help it

4. Do you feel welcome at the school? yes

5. What changes need to be made at the school? better understanding of autism/ behavioral problems

6. What are the strengths and weaknesses of communication from the school? i can go into any of the schools and talk directly with teachers/ heads of years/ (youngest 2 only) headmistress if i have any concerns, there aren't any weaknesses

7. What do you think would improve your child's education? nothing i honestly think they are all getting a good education

8. What are your plans for your child's future? oldest will be starting sixth form to do a levels next year then university (grade dependant) college for my second oldest the year after, and youngest 2 are still in the infant school so no clue yet

9. How can the school help achieve that goal? by keep delivering the same standard of education that they already are

i hope this helps
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

It's okay for this area. I doubt I'd find much better. I like that it is small and intimate. However, they are very unorganized compared to American schools for example. They don't even have a school calendar! There have been many days that we showed up for school as usual, only to see it is closed for some holiday we knew nothing about.

They post signs on the bulletin board on the gate. They send emails. They send home notes. They have parent association meetings. Word of mouth is the main way. They also have several blogs (the student-run one, the school one, and the parent association one.) But word of mouth and the emails are the most frequently successful in reaching me. (It should be noted that I don't speak the language of the school, so I might be missing a lot.)

Somewhat. I think they strive to meet whatever criteria has been placed on them and that the system in general is under the assumption that those criteria are in place to meet the needs of the students. I believe they attempt to serve "the students" as a single entity, not necessarily each individual student.

Somewhat. Parents aren't normally allowed past the gate during regular drop-off and pick-up (except special circumstances), but that is mostly due to high traffic and if there were special circumstances, I feel "allowed" to enter. It does, however, really bug me when they lock the gate at the bell and leave some kids abandoned on the street. Some parents drop their kids at the corner and never know that their kids got locked out. At that moment, you have unattended children loose in a large city with nowhere to go. I always see my son in, but I see it happen to other kids as little as 6yo. After the prayers, etc, they unlock the gate, but I don't think it's right, when they could just let them in and keep them between the external gate and the internal gate, rather than leaving them outside the gate in the city alone.

*See #4 re: locking the gate. Also, a simple school calendar to be distributed at the beginning of the year! I don't expect it to have the unscheduled strikes that we get no notice for, but to at least have the holidays! Also, i don't like that they take the kids on field trips without even telling the parents sometimes. I'm pretty sure that if that were to happen in the US, there could be a lawsuit, but here they do it like it's no biggie. Also, my biggest complaint---LESS HOMEWORK! My 9yo son has homework every single day, normally about 3-4 assignments per day (in 2-3 or more subjects). I feel like he does about 3x the homework of American kids in the same grade as he. It might be okay, if it were effective--but it's overkill so now he does all those assignments basically only because he has to, not because he's gaining anything from it. Wasted time. Also, I think each teacher should distribute a class schedule for the kids to be able to pack their books in their backpack each day. My son wrote it down in the beginning of the year and I then typed it up and posted it near his bookshelf, so he can pack his bag, but other kids don't have a copy of the program that I typed and then the teacher has the nerve to complain that kids don't always pack the correct books. She could just distribute the class schedule (which is different every day of the week) in the start of the year. Also, I wish the school had regular sit-down toilets for the girls. When my daughter gets there, I'm so terrified for how she will deal with standing/squatting toilets, especially once she gets her period. Those poor girls! How mortifying for them!

Totally irregular. Sometimes posters, sometimes emails, sometimes notices sent home with kids. Sometimes shouting the announcement to parents at the gate. You never know if you are getting the full picture.

If they would focus more on things that hold the kids attention. My son LOVES Science and has taught himself so much in that regard and he asks me science-related questions all the time. I wish he had access to a Science class or at least a Science teacher to ask questions. I think he will finally get Science next year (5th grade), but I think he could have learned reading and math much easier if he had been learning it through the subject of Science. I think they could "sneak" a lot more reading, problem-solving, math, etc into subjects that interest kids, such as computers, music, science, etc.

To support him in whatever he wants to do. He has been working as a model & actor for a couple of years now and really enjoys it. But he ranks "Scientist" higher on his list of things to be when he grows up than he does model/actor. So I will gently push him in math and science, while continuing to assist him by running him around to auditions, etc. The school principal has a philosophy of kids doing nearly no extracurricular activities, to focus almost exclusively on academics, but I disagree. My son loves his modelling and acting work and those jobs have taught him a great deal about REAL LIFE, while at the same time he has not suffered in academics (As and Bs). At 9yo, he can walk into an audition by himself and win over a casting director, with charisma and self-confidence, while still being able to do math tests at school. He is also over halfway to his blackbelt in martial arts and has learned the importance of maintaining his body daily. I believe there is much more to a well-rounded and happy life than academic success.

They can be understanding that there is much more to "the real world" than just language & math and basic academics; and be supportive of kids who pursue music, athletics, and other endeavors outside of the school.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have an 8th grade daughter.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. It's a good school because I stay on top of what she does at school.

They have an email list, it is very informative and they are good with updates to scheduling and events. They also send home flyers which my daughter may or may not remember to pass along.

Yes, they do try to. I find that because of the way the school systems are set up in the USA, and California specifically, they have less freedom to ACTUALLY meet the needs of all students. There is less ability to individualize. I feel that in the case of my daughter, yes they have been successful, but as I've mentioned I am very involved in her education.

Yes.

There are not enough sports and the music program is sad.

Strengths: Good phone and email communication
    Weaknesses: I can't sign into my daughter's grade portal, and no one emailed me back to help fix it so now I have to go to the actual school to get a sign-in.

The ability to do self-education, as in, time in each period for the kids to absorb the material taught that day in a way that is satisfactory to them. Reading, watching a video, looking at pictures/chart/etc.

Next year she starts high school and then we are looking forward to college.

Giving the kids opportunities to hear about colleges, speaking with them about how to regulate their schedule/classes/homework/activities in high school, giving the kids links to helping online resources for the kids to do their own research, having an after school homework program to help kids in their weaker subjects.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Fine

Newsletter emails, fliers in weekly folders.

I suppose. My kinds are only in 1st and K.

Sure

I don't know. Don't have any strong opinions on this yet.

They freaking call my house to tell me I have an email. That's annoying. Our K teacher didn't tell us that she put or daughter in "speech". And email or call on that would have been nice.

I don't have any specific ideas.

I would like for them all to go to college, possibly grad school (I just finished my Masters's) but I understand college isn't for everyone (wasn't for my husband). If they want to do a trade school or something, I'd be cool with that, I'd just like to see them prepared for a life long "career" and not just a "job". I'd also be okay with them delaying college to figure out what they really want. Seems kind of cruel to expect an 18 year old to decide what he/she wants to do forever.

At this stage not much, by highschool they need to help them be ready for college courses, living on their own, introduce them to career options, etc.