How long did it take you to start losing weight?

Options
I've been under my calorie limit for a week now and no changes.

How long did it take for you to start seeing a difference on the scales?

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight right away, but I know the initial weight was water weight. Are you weighing your food and logging accurately?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It took me one week. Here is a great link that is well worth the investment of your time:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I actually went UP my first few weeks. Give it some time; a week really isn't that long. After peeking at your profile, I see you're looking to lose 26 pounds. That tells me that you're probably not severely overweight. The closer we are to a healthy weight, the slower the weight come off (in many cases). For reference, it took me two years to lose 20 pounds (I'm short, so eating 1200 cals a day is only like a 300 cal deficit).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It took me several weeks to start losing, because I was underestimating my calories. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh all your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mommasboy3
    mommasboy3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carb intake and increased my protein intake, cut down big time on my diet pepsi addiction to only 1 20 oz maybe 2 if desperate a day and really increased my intake of water. I lost 4lbs in my first 11 days. Not alot of weight loss but a start. :flowerforyou:
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Food restriction alone doesn't seem to help me, no loss but no gain either... so as long as it took me to get off my *kitten*! Which as long as I've been on here wasn't until a year ago... since then have lost ~50+ lbs! :)
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are really pretty close to your goal weight. So, it will take much longer for you than it will someone like me when I started. My best advice is to stay committed, eat at a deficit and most importantly stay patient.

The human body is a very complicated machine. On a daily or weekly basis it can't be boiled down to calories in versus calories out.... I would expect you will see some losses by the end of the fourth week.

I was hoping to be at my goal weight by now and I am still have more than 30 pounds to go... But I am going to be patient and ultimately achieve my goal.... And you can too...

Take Care,
  • swimmingrocks889
    Options
    About a week, but it could have been bad measuring :) These things take time and it also depends on your weight to start with, generally a heavier person will loose more weight faster than a lighter person even if they are doing the same amount of exercise and eating the same.
    Remember that if you're drinking more water it will add a little weight so it could be balancing out whatever you're loosing, but that will soon change. Also, if you're gaining muscle and loosing fat- you're likely to stay around the same weight or maybe get a little heavier.
    Hope that helps.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yeah if started losing straight away. Make some adjustments.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Definitely longer than a week.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This process requires excruciating patience - good luck and try to stay patient! I know that it is easier said than done.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Takes time because your body needs to release certain hormones to start burning fat!
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    it depends on each person and their body

for me since i'm huge it doesn't take much for the lbs to drop
    I cut out any and all junk diet set exercise and I was losing the very first week

other people especially those that are already smaller it takes more work and takes longer
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh it can take forever, I know! Sometimes the scale doesn't show off the hard work you put into losing weight. It always depends. I "started" quite a few times now, and sometimes I lost 2 lbs over night, and sometimes my weight just wouldn't move for weeks! (But then after those weeks again drop an insame amount of weight). It's wicked! But the most important thing is that you stay motivated and don't give up, just because the scale is being an a**hole. Trust the math and you will be fine. :) xoxo
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Straight away.

I found it was important to be rigid in weighing and measuring and logging immediately, so I could see exactly what was going on, and I started drinking a lot more water (as tea mainly). I had a fair amount to lose (60+ lbs) and I wanted to shift it safely but quickly.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Straight away.

I found it was important to be rigid in weighing and measuring and logging immediately, so I could see exactly what was going on, and I started drinking a lot more water (as tea mainly). I had a fair amount to lose (60+ lbs) and I wanted to shift it safely but quickly.
  • autumn_moon86
    Options
    In the first 3/4 weeks of doing this (working out 4X a week, eating 1,300 cals) - I gained 1.5lbs! But after 6 weeks - even though I only lost 4lbs over all, I had lost 1.5 inches off my waist, and 1/2 an inch off my arms and hips.
    What I keep telling myself is this - weight is not the end all, be all, of progress. Take your measurements as well! It was good for me to see that even though the scale is reluctant to go down- I was making progress!!
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Before I started losing weight? about a week or so...

Before I started noticing a difference? about 6 weeks.

Hang in there- my best weight loss weeks happened after the initial 4-6 weeks.. It seemed like things were going really slow, but I've been at it for almost 3 months now and I look so much better- which is giving me so much confidence.

One tip: Since you're so early in your journey, take a "before" pic, and then more pics, once every month. I started doing that after the 1st month and it's incredible the difference I'm seeing! So much better motivation than the scales!
  • Paizzaz
    Paizzaz Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't know for sure because I did not actually weigh myself until I noticed a visible difference. In the past I always gave up because I was dieting and the scale wasn't moving. I used to tell myself that I'd rather not diet and weigh the same than diet and weigh the same. Logging helped me get over this. Even if I didn't see a difference, even if the scale wasn't budging, I could see the changes I was making in my lifestyle. It's been about 5 months and people are noticing. :) Don't give up!