anyone trained theirself to do the splits?

Options
Im getting into pilates lately and really enjoy my stretches and hope to be more flexible in the long run! I have set myself a goal to one day do a split! and was wondering if any of you out there has self-trained to eventually do a front or side split and how long it took? I am pretty certain that the way I am, it will take me a while! which is fine. tips would be great. :)

Replies

• raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    watch tv...no, really spread your legs out, and every break move your feet out further until you are there...after a few weeks you will have the splits!
  • mestiza91
    mestiza91 Posts: 51
    Options
    watch tv...no, really spread your legs out, and every break move your feet out further until you are there...after a few weeks you will have the splits!

technically.. i could do this while watching tv. lol
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I did! It was one of my fitness goals this year that I've recently crossed off my list.

I do A LOT of stretching and Pilates. The key for me is to be consistent and don't miss a day. It seemed like every week it got easier and easier then one day it just happened. :)

There are some good videos on Youtube that has stretches specifically for training to do the splits if you're interested.

I highly recommend doing them with "warm" muscles say after a workout as a cool down instead of just plopping for the floor and stretching.

Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Front splits in my late 30s. I suppose I could work side splits.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I did it super young (way easier) but what we did was basically this:

2-Modify-Stretch-after-Thigh-Work.jpg
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Working on it...on the floor and on the pole...pole is easier for some reason.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yes, I kick box and extreme flexibility is nearly essential for any head shot with the foot. I can do front right, left right and "Chinese" splits nearly straight across. DO NOT BOUNCE. Slowly, relaxed and go as far as you can after a warm up (20 minutes of fast cardio). Do not push yourself further than you can go. Good luck!
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Keep me posted on your progress, I have the same goal. I tried last summer and got more flexible, but gave up before I was completely there.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    See the stretch that giggitygoo posted? Do that a couple times every day, and after you stretch your front hamstring, you should stretch the quad of the back leg by bringing your back foot up against your butt and leaning forward with the front leg bent for balance. (After a while, start stretching farther forward in that position.) After you do each of those stretches for 30 seconds, work your way into the split position. Be sure to alternate front and back legs; I recommend doing each leg in front twice a day. I taught someone how to do splits like this. It's also a great stretch for after a run or elliptical workout.
  • mestiza91
    Options
    I did! It was one of my fitness goals this year that I've recently crossed off my list.

I do A LOT of stretching and Pilates. The key for me is to be consistent and don't miss a day. It seemed like every week it got easier and easier then one day it just happened. :)

There are some good videos on Youtube that has stretches specifically for training to do the splits if you're interested.

I highly recommend doing them with "warm" muscles say after a workout as a cool down instead of just plopping for the floor and stretching.

Good luck!

thanks! really helpful :) its my fitness goal too
  • mestiza91
    Options
    See the stretch that giggitygoo posted? Do that a couple times every day, and after you stretch your front hamstring, you should stretch the quad of the back leg by bringing your back foot up against your butt and leaning forward with the front leg bent for balance. (After a while, start stretching farther forward in that position.) After you do each of those stretches for 30 seconds, work your way into the split position. Be sure to alternate front and back legs; I recommend doing each leg in front twice a day. I taught someone how to do splits like this. It's also a great stretch for after a run or elliptical workout.

thanks! will give it a go
  • mestiza91
    Options
    I did it super young (way easier) but what we did was basically this:

2-Modify-Stretch-after-Thigh-Work.jpg

i havent got anything on the wall to hold on to but ill make adjustments i guess!