Fats

Options
Okay....I have changed things up this go-around. I am now tracking different fat intakes with my food. My diary is open, you can see what I am tracking.

My question revolves around the fat group. Saturated fat, Mono-unsaturated fat, Poly-unsaturated fat, trans fat. My overall fat intake % is 25, equal to protein. I have further limited my goal of saturated fat to be 15g of my total 57g on a sedentary day. Mono-unsaturated intake (which I get from olive oil, avocados, and to a lesser extent, cheese) is set to 30g, and Poly-unsaturated is set to 10g. Given my love for ground beef, I may not be able to hit this every day, but I rinse 85/15 ground beef to reduce the saturated fat by about half of the label.

Common Knowledge: Non saturated fat lowers bad cholesterol, raises good cholesterol.

But which fats are more useful? I have found resources for what the MUFAs and PUFAs are, but how do they break down in the body and help with fat control? How do they metabolize? Where do they end up?

Any information would be helpful, for me and for whoever is reading. Thanks!

Replies

• Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    My main objective at the moment is to reduce belly fat. My arms and legs are pretty toned compared to my gut.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to reduce belly fat, then you need to lift.

Or eat at a deficit. (or both)

It doesn't matter where your fats come from

I WISH it is possible to spot reduce.. All of my remaining fat is sticking to my belly for dear life.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    One last thing, if anyone knows, when I rinse ground beef, am I washing away just saturated fats, or all fats evenly?

I could always just go to many small websites that have all this info, but I thought it would be good for awareness to ask it here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Okay....I have changed things up this go-around. I am now tracking different fat intakes with my food. My diary is open, you can see what I am tracking.

My question revolves around the fat group. Saturated fat, Mono-unsaturated fat, Poly-unsaturated fat, trans fat. My overall fat intake % is 25, equal to protein. I have further limited my goal of saturated fat to be 15g of my total 57g on a sedentary day. Mono-unsaturated intake (which I get from olive oil, avocados, and to a lesser extent, cheese) is set to 30g, and Poly-unsaturated is set to 10g. Given my love for ground beef, I may not be able to hit this every day, but I rinse 85/15 ground beef to reduce the saturated fat by about half of the label.

Common Knowledge: Non saturated fat lowers bad cholesterol, raises good cholesterol.

But which fats are more useful? I have found resources for what the MUFAs and PUFAs are, but how do they break down in the body and help with fat control? How does it metabolize?

No, saturated fat increases HDL more so than mono's or poly fats and there are sub categories of particle size that influence density and delivery of cholesterol lipoproteins. Basically my consumption is mostly mono and sat fats with poly's trailing well behind but with n:3's in my sights.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options

But which fats are more useful? I have found resources for what the MUFAs and PUFAs are, but how do they break down in the body and help with fat control? How does it metabolize?

No, saturated fat increases HDL more so than mono's or poly fats and there are sub categories of particle size that influence density and delivery of cholesterol lipoproteins. Basically my consumption is mostly mono and sat fats with poly's trailing well behind but with n:3's in my sights.

what are you saying no to?
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    If your goal is to reduce belly fat, then you need to lift.

Or eat at a deficit. (or both)

It doesn't matter where your fats come from

I WISH it is possible to spot reduce.. All of my remaining fat is sticking to my belly for dear life.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140224110017.htm
    This is an experiment on Saturated and unsaturated fats. I read this a few days ago... it is not a considerable study, with just 39 people. But it is a start.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

what are you saying no to?
    You were saying reducing saturated fat with other fats increases HDL......it's doesn't and too bad you've decided to wash your ground beef..........a little phobic imo.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This might be helpful

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Wow how to make something needlessly complicated.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    [/quote]You were saying reducing saturated fat with other fats increases HDL......it's doesn't and too bad you've decided to wash your ground beef..........a little phobic imo.
    [/quote]

Would you please elaborate? I think it is petty to make unexplained judgments like that. And please reread what I wrote. That is not something I said.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options

This might be helpful

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

Nice... I read the summary. I will bookmark this to read after class. It sounds interesting.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My doctor recently said I have high cholesterol and to go on a low fat diet, basically reducing saturated fats. So yes it does matter where it comes from if you have high cholesterol. Always listen to your doctor and not some person online... smh.. and I'm not even considered overweight.

5'10, 163
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My doctor recently said I have high cholesterol and to go on a low fat diet, basically reducing saturated fats. So yes it does matter where it comes from if you have high cholesterol. Always listen to your doctor and not some person online... smh.. and I'm not even considered overweight.

5'10, 163

*sigh* I forgot to say "barring medical conditions".

There is a difference between a goal of strictly weight loss and a goal of overall health. If your goal is strictly weight loss then what matters is calories. If your goal is health then you need to worry more about macros and such.

I have a low fat/low sodium/low sugar diet. Because my goal is health not weight loss. And not because a doctor told me. I have it because I told me after a lot of reading. I've actually been told by my doctors that, although slightly overweight, I'm the picture of health. (to which I disagree, but that's another story)

As for washing ground beef.. I don't think that really makes a difference at all. I could be wrong about that, but there is no real measurable way for us to know what percentage of fat we have washed away, if any at all.

I am not saying that fat does not accumulate somewhere nor that it is not caused by eating foods high saturated fat, i'm saying you have no control over where your body decides to burn fat from and in what order. You will gain fat if you over eat too, which is just as hard to get rid of and in my case it likes to settle around my middle. I do not eat a lot of saturated fat, or fat in general, still have the belly fat.

It's really simple; If you want to lose belly fat. Eat at deficit, lift, repeat. it will eventually go away.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you are eating relatively high carbs then lowering all of your fats is useful.

If you are eating lower carbs then up your fats and in particular sat fat (probably the most beneficial one for you IMO).

The only one I would try and cut completely (or as much as possible) is trans fat.

Easiest way to reduce the fat from you minced beef is to cook it and drain the fat off, but as fat is super tasty, why would you want to.
  • Astronomically_Im_Tiny
    Options
    I guess a good question to raise for this would be:

What combination of fats and workouts are most ideal for lowering belly fat the most?

It is quite algebraic, because it would compare two functions to create an optimum amount of change. For instance, would running burn more belly fat for the person that eats more saturated fat than unsaturated fat? Do crunches aid the person that eats more monounsaturated fat? What about cycling? If different fats go to different parts of the body, and different exercises focus on certain areas, why couldn't an otherwise healthy individual dictate how much belly fat they lose?

I think that would be an interesting study. The variables can be measured, and so can the result. I think I might try this for myself...