feeding an army on a poor person budget.

Options
2»

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Cooking dried beans and legumes is about the cheapest and most nutrient-dense meal you can make, I think.

I have The Indian Slow Cooker (a cookbook) that shows how to make delicious meals in the slow cooker with these dried beans, and the Indian spice blends she recommends are perfect. It is the first time I have ever made Indian at my house as good as a restaurant.
  • sandst101
    sandst101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this one around here. Basically ground beef, corn, pasta, and cheese: http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/southwestern-corn-skillet/cf317974-fd09-494a-ae39-d53639e64888?src=SH
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Buying whole turkeys or chicken will save you money and you can freeze whatever you don't immediately eat.

Also, things like picnic hams that you can cook in one big batch, shred, and use for multiple dishes later are helpful.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I don't have to feed anyone but myself but I have a very tight budget.

I buy bags of beans, lentils, chickpeas, rice, pasta etc - usually $1-something per bag
    I buy whatever fruits & veggies are on sale
    A block of tofu is $1.15 at my grocery store
    I read the sale flyers and look for coupons

I spend about $40/month on groceries (this is just for myself)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Wow Rae. That's amazing. I wish I could peek in your journal to see how your'e managing. I have my daughter constantly and my boyfriend at least 2x a week. My goal is $250 but on a good month I land close, but usually wind up around $310.

We do eat Paleo, so bulk beans, lentils, grains etc are definitely out.

And I do induldge some of the Paleo bells & whistles. Coconut flower, nutritional yeast, a wide variety of oils, vinegar, spices, occasional organic grass fed beef, stevia, stevia, and more stevia, etc it is a bit pricey.

I get frustrated when I spend more on a single ingredient than a couple pounds of meat. But, that's the stuff that makes the food taste like heaven.

Interesting thread.

Following.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks....bump for later