Suggestions needed: New mom & dad...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
What are some awesome gift ideas for new parents that are still in the hospital post-baby birth?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    food gift certificates.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    What are some awesome gift ideas for new parents that are still in the hospital post-baby birth?

My wife was always big on getting something personal about the child. A frame or baby blanket with the childs name on it. You can special order and it will take a day or two to get. Some places may to same day.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Bring them both a good cup of coffee, the hopsital stuff is probably garbage.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I received coupons for Saturday naps or lunch dates.

I loved those.
  • celticempress
    Options
    Diapers, diaper rash cream, clothing sets for the baby, baby bath set that they can wash the little guy/girl with in the hospital ( I got to do that for my son and daughter, but it depends on the hospital). Also might want to include something for the new mom like flowers or tea or something very nice. If she's nursing, I recomend getting her perhaps a tea infused with fengreek which is an herb that helps nursing. I think I spelled that right. I just had a baby so these things all help regardless of stage up to 1 year, especially flowers because what mom doesn't want flowers?
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    diapers diapers diapers in all sizes. oh and did I mention diapers?
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    food gift certificates.

SO THIS^^ My youngest is a year old and the best gift I received when I had her was the meals and restaurant gift cards! She was born on Good Friday, and we took her home Easter Sunday. A group of my friends made us a meal and brought it to the house along with gift cards for everything from McDonald's to Olive Garden. I didn't have to cook or grocery shop for non-essientals the whole first week I was home. IT was AWESOME!
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    one can never have too much diapers, right? Make a cake made out of them (a colleagues was given that) :tongue:
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I received coupons for Saturday naps or lunch dates.

I loved those.

yes and this :smile:
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Balloons and coupons for you babysitting! And/or coupons saying you'll make them some meals, like casseroles for their freezer!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A gift card to a nice portrait studio. Every parent wants to show off their new baby, and what better way than to have some really nice prints taken?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    A gift card to a nice portrait studio. Every parent wants to show off their new baby, and what better way than to have some really nice prints taken?

This is genius.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    food gift certificates.

Great idea! Never thought of this, but they'd love it.
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Diapers and Bourbon
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Gift card to spend time with the baby so mom can take an hour bath. Meal gift cards and yes diapers of any size.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When I was in the hospital, I appreciated when my SIL brought flowers. Balloons are nice, but make sure they are latex-free (most hospitals require that, some might not even allow balloons, you might want to call ahead and check).

Diapers are a great gift, as are things like bath products for baby. I hesitate to say blankets, because we got SOOOO MANY! But if it's something specific to the baby (their name, or something), it might be appreciated. However, don't bring any of these to the hospital. They provide the diapers and blankets there, and new parents already have so much stuff to carry home, you don't want to overload them with more :wink:

Another nice gift (depending on how well you know the parents, whether they'd be comfortable with it), would be a clean house to come home to. Even just some basic tidying, making sure dishes are done, and vacuuming would be a blessing! (At least for me, lol)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Home cooked freezer meals...and booze.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I really liked the food, and I would have loved the portrait studio package! I also greatly appreciated my friends that came over in the morning the first few weeks and made sure I was able to get a shower, that my laundry was going, that I didn't need anything from the store, and that I had breakfast for myself and my older kids. That made the first few weeks home incredible (you might want to ask about this first though as not everyone seems to like it as much as I did)
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    booze! well, for the father at least....
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Gift card to any store (Grocery store, Target, Wal-Mart, etc)
    Baby wipes (you can never have too many)
    Lavendar bath soaps/ lotions
    Diapers size 2 (they go through NB and 1's pretty quickly) - they wont go to waste
    Cloth diapers (they make awesome burp rags. Again, can never have too many)