Suggestions needed: New mom & dad...

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    A coupon for maid service. Diapers. Booze.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When I was in the hospital, I appreciated when my SIL brought flowers. Balloons are nice, but make sure they are latex-free (most hospitals require that, some might not even allow balloons, you might want to call ahead and check).

As someone allergic to latex...

giphy.gif
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Generic gifts: diapers, blankets, baby bath supplies

If I know the parents well enough: formula and bottle supplies
  • odusgolp
    Options
    A coupon for maid service. Diapers. Booze.

Booze is a factor in why the 19 year old just had a baby from the 20 year old neighbor kid *LOL* So I'm going to save the booze for me :)

And they live with grandma, so I'm pretty sure she's the maid? Wait... This makes perfect sense, I'll get grandma the booze!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Home-cooked meals. No one with a newborn has time to cook, and they are too tired to go out.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the one gift I remember receiving after my twins were born was a box of the heat and serve meals from Costco (meat pies, pasta, etc.) Not the frozen kind, but the stuff made in store... They also added a package of salad and dressing and she had made muffins so I could eat one handed. I appreciated coming home to that stuff the most of anything.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're close, go to the hospital and get their house keys so you can drop off some fresh fruit and put a few casseroles in the freezer. Maybe pair of jammies for mom with nursing friendly top. And if she's nursing, big water bottles with sport top so she can just keep one handy and know that she's getting enough water. High protein snacks like yogurt. If they have pets, feed them and text them a pic of their fur babies. And maybe take one of baby's hospital blankets or hats to the house to get the pet used to the scent.

Maybe not all of these things, but one or two would be really nice. Or if you're close, but not close enough to get their house keys, bring them a meal at the hospital and/or bring a card that says you're coming over to help with laundry/dishes/meals/whatever for 2 hours on <insert date> <insert time> and have them fill out the date and time. Don't take no for an answer. Lots of people give "stuff" and it's great but ^that stuff can't be beat.

Oh, and for dad, maybe a card that says something like 2 hours of babysitting so you two can have a date <insert date> <insert time>.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Food and babysitting services to give mom and dad a night off.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    As a parent myself, I'd think twice before redeeming a coupon for a free afternoon/night out. I wouldn't trust some of my friends to watch my popcorn in the microwave, let alone a newborn. Not saying you're an incompetent boob, but if they don't ever redeem, well, yeah.

Can't ever go wrong with a Target giftcard.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Food
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Honestly, the one gift I remember receiving after my twins were born was a box of the heat and serve meals from Costco (meat pies, pasta, etc.) Not the frozen kind, but the stuff made in store... They also added a package of salad and dressing and she had made muffins so I could eat one handed. I appreciated coming home to that stuff the most of anything.

Love this.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As a parent myself, I'd think twice before redeeming a coupon for a free afternoon/night out. I wouldn't trust some of my friends to watch my popcorn in the microwave, let alone a newborn. Not saying you're an incompetent boob, but if they don't ever redeem, well, yeah.

Seriously aren't we beyond the age we'd friend people who could not handle watching an infant?!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I loved having flowers in my room. And my work sent cookies that I was able to offer my guests.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I just know that banana bread is wrong.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Condoms or a gift certificate for her birth control prescription because obviously - enough is enough, wink wink :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Seriously aren't we beyond the age we'd friend people who could not handle watching an infant?!

I know two 50-year olds who've raised 4 kids and drink $250 of booze per week who I wouldn't trust any living creature.

So, no.
  • odusgolp
    Options

I know two 50-year olds who've raised 4 kids and drink $250 of booze per week who I wouldn't trust any living creature.

So, no.

Wait... is it good booze?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

So, no.

Canadian Club, off-brand vermouth, Coors Light, and box wine.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Not necessarily, I have an awesome friend...who is GREAT with animals...small little people that pooh and cry..not so much..
  • odusgolp
    Options

So, no.

Canadian Club, off-brand vermouth, Coors Light, and box wine.

Vermouth?

What a waste of $250.

Well, I'll take the Coors Light.