Ankle supports when running

Options
I have recently started running, not far, a few miles a day, a few times a week, the problem i have got is that i walk inwards on the arch of my foot, not ridiculously so - but enough for it now to have started hurting.

A friend who is a very keen runner has said i should find some ankle supports, but then i wonder if it will make my knee's hurt as it will be correcting how i walk?

Any help would be great, even if its just giving me a good make of ankle supports (im in the UK) or if this happens to anyone else and what they have done to overcome it?
Thanks!

Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I overpronate also when I run so I bought stability shoes and also replaced the insoles with inserts to help my arches.
  • hferrel19
    hferrel19 Posts: 13
    Options
    I use them too. I have the same problem. I got running shoes that were high tops and changed the insoles with running orthotics. Also I wear a brace with stays in it. also when I am not running I wear a slip on brace to do other Exercises. I hope this helps. Good luck with your goal.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Its the appropriate shoe that you need, rather than ankle support.

A stability shoe will help with over pronation, something that I suffer myself. Go to a decent running shop and ask for advice. Good shops will have a treadmill that you can use to help identify the right shoe for your needs.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

A stability shoe will help with over pronation, something that I suffer myself. Go to a decent running shop and ask for advice. Good shops will have a treadmill that you can use to help identify the right shoe for your needs.

This. Getting fitted at a running store has made the difference between me being in excruciating pain and being able to jog. Sooo worth it.
    Plus, I would not get orthotics without a doctor's advice because they can throw your whole body off balance.
  • caringiscreepyx
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your replies :) I shall get to a shop and have some fitted properly! I should have really done that at first, but hey ho!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Also go to your GP who will refer you to get some custom made inserts.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    have you gone to a running store to be fitted with the proper shoes and insoles? I would start there. I don't like ankle supports because you will get used to the extra support on the ankle and won't be able to run without them. spend the time and maybe the money and get fitted for the proper shoe for your running pattern.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this- I actually run in minimalist shoes with no ankle support what so ever- rarely roll an ankle- full blown running shoes- I used to roll at least once a week- not bad- but it was enough.

so getting a shoe that fits- and works for you is really important.
  • cczolek
    cczolek Posts: 6
    Options
    I am personally not a fan of minimalist shoes except for as a tool to strengthen your feet. They are not designed to do your day to day running in. But getting a good running shoe is an absolute must!

Here is a good article about running shoes: http://familyfocusfitness.net/2014/04/27/running-its-all-about-the-shoes/

Good Luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would actually buy shoes with a minimal amount of support, and slip in a supportive insole (like Superfeet) for activities that cause arch pain, and remove them when you're not in pain. If you wear supportive shoes or insoles all the time, including for activities that don't cause pain, your arches will continue to weaken more, since feet require regular flexing to stay healthy & strong The goal should be to try to wean yourself supportive, rigid-soled footwear eventually.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is get the proper shoes for running. Go to a local running store if nearby, have them look at your existing wear on your sneakers and ask for help. Ankle, knee, and other joint pain is common when running. You'll get used to it. Best of luck.