kinda gross but if anyone can help...

Options
Sorry I'm not sure where this topic belongs, but here seems the closest match. Anyway my problem is that my workout clothes smell. Yeah yeah I know they're supposed to, but I mean they smell even after I just washed them. I know it probably has something to do with proteins in sweat clinging to the armpits of my gyms shirts, I just don't know how to get rid of the smell! I've tried spray n wash on the bad areas, presoaking them, extra washing them, nothing works. I'm in school and kinda broke and would rather get these smelling better than go buy new stuff if I don't have to. Does anyone know of an enzyme based detergent or something that might work on my clothes or has anyone had this problem and found anything that works?

Replies

• fawnifer
    fawnifer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Go to Walmart or any grocery store and in the laundry isle look for a box of 20 mule team borax. It will do the trick! I have a construction worker hubby that sweats out in the Arizona sun all day and his shirts would reek! Borax is the only thing that kept me from throwing out his shirts.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    thanks, will try. That stuff is pretty cheap, too isn't it?
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Also, I think it's Tide that makes a sport detergent with Febreeze in it as well. It works on my workout clothes.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    that happens to my clothes too....
  • bainos
    bainos Posts: 99
    Options
    be proud of your workout stink.
  • smae1980
    Options

Trust me I'm totally proud of my workout stink as long as it's AFTER my workout, not when I'm still lacing up my sneaks!
  • whalenmich7295
    whalenmich7295 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

just let me get my set in before you lay on the bench :)
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    I also have workout stink clothes... I did a double take self smell this afternoon when I was at the gym... THANKS FOR THE TIPS
  • smae1980
    Options

just let me get my set in before you lay on the bench :)

Hey! I always wipe the bench when I'm done!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My friend use to have to strip her kids cloth diapers for the same reason. I found a website with some information about it. Maybe it will help. :)http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use BabyGanics laundry detergent and never have problems with lingering smells. It gets out tough stains too, but for the ones it doesn't remove I use their stain remover spray. You can get it at Toys R Us or Babies R Us. It's organic and made from plant-based ingredients like coconut oil.
  • exp_lauren
    exp_lauren Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will work, but definitely cheaper than new clothing to try. I add Borax powder to the machine when washing smelly stuff. It boosts your detergent and is a natural deodorizer. You can find it in the regular laundry soap section at most supermarkets. Where I live, it comes in a sage green box with a nostalgic image of a child dressed in western clothing on the box front. Good luck!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    add amonia to your rinse cycle
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I'd answer you, but I need to go ask my wife first. I'm guessing we have a washing machine somewhere in the house....

(just kidding - I really am a pretty good hubby - just being funny today i guess)
  • smae1980
    Options
    add amonia to your rinse cycle

ewe! then I'd just smell like cat pee!
  • amstein18
    Options
    add some fabric softener too!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    Have you tried vinegar in your rinse cycle? I used that with cloth diapers And no, you won't end up smelling like a pickle :laugh: ... I would Google info on removing smells from cloth diapers if i were you... there is a TON of info out there from the cloth diapering community!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I use oxy clean and let the clothes soak anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, depending on our activities. We went hiking, white water rafting, and speelunking last summer, and not a single hotel had laundry facilities, so nothing got washed for about 5 days. I'll leave the aroma up to your imagination, but you could smell everything through the watertight bags!

I ran the wash twice, using the oxyclean, and everything is good, and still very usable.
  • kking74
    Options
    I second girlruns suggestion for the Penguin Sport Wash. I picked up a bottle at my local running store. I took all my workout clothes and threw them in with a couple towels that were starting to smell. It really worked. I don't use this all the time because it's pretty expensive, I just throw everything in with the regular laundry. Now I was just thinking this morning that it might be time to wash all the workout gear in the Penguin Sport Wash again because I have a couple things that stink again.