Zumba FItness DVD Set....

Options
Well I got the Zumba Fitness Total Body Transformation System DVD Set for Christmas and atempted to use it today. Did the Fitness Basics Workout (Tutorial & 20 Minute Express Workout). WOW was learning the moves kinda hard! Well, I am also really out of shape. So I did the best I could and figured doing it wrong was better than not doing it at all....I just HAVE to stick with it! I have an average size living room with carpeted floor and worked out in my pj's and bare feet. Does anyone have ANY pointers for me?

Replies

• dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wish I did! I got the Wii Zumba for Christmas and have done the tutorial and the 20 minute beginner workout this week. Super hard! I have done both tennis shoes and bare feet and am not sure which is better. I have trouble keeping up but try to keep some kind of movement going!

Keep us posted!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    first, congrats on your determination to get healthy!!! don't give up, you can do it!!!:drinker:

second, i am very jealous!! love zumba, decided to by a dvd set yesterday at barnes & noble with my gift card, couldn't find a set. ah well, yay for amazon!!

pointers. do the best you can with the space you have. i usually do workout dvds in the bedroom, very tiny space to work with. move whatever out of the way that you can (for me, i move my vanity chair for a tad bit more space lol!) also, i do find it's easier to wear my running shoes when i workout, rather than be barefoot (except when doing yoga or pilates lol!). wear comfy clothes, pj's are totally acceptable! i find i want to workout harder if i actually wear workout clothes....better motivation, for me.:smile: and finally, DON'T GIVE UP!!! :bigsmile: just like you said, doing it kinda "wrong" is better than not doing it at all!! you will learn the moves quickly, the more you do it, and learn how to do them properly:flowerforyou:
  • Turttle
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!!! :)) I also did Zumba today. The music pumps me up and I love latin music. It was hard for me at first, but as I worked at it more and more, I was able to get the moves down. It could get discouraging at first, but it's soooooo much fun. I got a gym membership to join the zumba class, but it's too crowded and wasn't fun anymore. So I bought the dvd's so that I could do it at home and it's so much more affective for me. After doing Zumba for a week and watching my calorie intake, I lost 7 lbs my first week. But I'm a big girl and have lots to go. Good luck my friend :).
  • rachel122986
    Options
    I would love to hear respones about wii zumba im considering buying it but im aweful at dancing and I also dislike dancing...but I hear its a great work out. I would wear shoes and dress like I would to exercise just a mental thing for me I think to focus more on exercise then playing a game.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD set as well...I couldnt make it through through the Instructional DVD so I just went straight to the 20 min one...I actually was able to keep up....But my favourite is the Live workout, I like feeling that I am not alone... even when I cant do the moves full out I just stick to the basic moves without adding in all the hips and arms

I do it barefooted on a tiled floor...i tried sneakers and my feet hurt really bad.....so i did a search on here and everyone recommended dance sneakers....so I hope to get a pair in the new year
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    first, congrats on your determination to get healthy!!! don't give up, you can do it!!!:drinker:

also, i do find it's easier to wear my running shoes when i workout, rather than be barefoot (except when doing yoga or pilates lol!). wear comfy clothes, pj's are totally acceptable! i find i want to workout harder if i actually wear workout clothes....better motivation, for me.:smile: and finally, DON'T GIVE UP!!! :bigsmile: just like you said, doing it kinda "wrong" is better than not doing it at all!! you will learn the moves quickly, the more you do it, and learn how to do them properly:flowerforyou:

I agree with KaitieBug! I did it in my socks the other day and felt like I was going to collapse from slipping on the floor. I will NOT do that again! I also needed a little bit more room and better clothes. I heard it was a workout but didn't think a beginner-20min session would kick my butt! :blushing: Tonight I'm going to try with tennis shoes and some better clothes.

Good Luck All and HAVE FUN!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!!! :)) I also did Zumba today. The music pumps me up and I love latin music. It was hard for me at first, but as I worked at it more and more, I was able to get the moves down. It could get discouraging at first, but it's soooooo much fun. I got a gym membership to join the zumba class, but it's too crowded and wasn't fun anymore. So I bought the dvd's so that I could do it at home and it's so much more affective for me. After doing Zumba for a week and watching my calorie intake, I lost 7 lbs my first week. But I'm a big girl and have lots to go. Good luck my friend :).

Damn 7 pounds in a week is great....I love ZUmba too but with christmas my whole routine went out of wack....I will definitely be going home tonight and dusting off my DVD set....thanks for the inspiration :flowerforyou:
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Just keep at it & if you feel like you need shoes look for shoes like converse :)
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Happy to stumble across this thread. I bought some zumba classes through a groupon and wanted to get some dvds before the class so i wouldn't feel sooo silly when i got there. I am NOT a dancer by any stretch of the imagination. I have been hesitant to put out the money for the set with the better reviews on amazon, and haven't been able to find a single dvd with decent reviews to try out. sounds like i need to just suck it up and start doing it. I got rid of my treadmill to have more room to do things like this and the 30 day shred.

JUST DO IT YARNPIGGIE! ;-)
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Maybe dance shoes is what I need to try, hmmmm. My ankles and calves were on fire last night. The calves I can understand, but I'm not so happy about the ankles! Taking tonight off and then will resume tomorrow night. Any thoughts on the ankle thing?
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The Zumba trainers in our area suggest wearing shoes similar to Keds - canvas with a smooth rubber sole. If you have athletic shoes that have the bottoms worn smooth that would work too. You need to be able to "glide" or "slide" on the floor but under control. As a matter of fact, they will not accept you into their classes if you are in stocking feet - it is just too dangerous and leads to muscle strain and pulls. I've seen Keds type shoes at Walmart (marketed under the Danskin label) for under $20. And wear them ONLY for your Zumba work outs - not on the street.

The studio I attend has a rubber tile floor - no carpet.
  • silbysezso
    Options
    Well I go to Zumba class and we all wear shoes some wear dance shoes and others wear running shoes. I have seen a few bare feet but not many. Shoes are good. Just don't give up and push yourself to the end of the DVD. My class is 60 mins. (there are beginners and advance) But either way just keep moving and you will get the moves. You can go to Utube and check out some songs and get ideas. Hope this helps.
    Have fun!
    Soon before you know you will be at your goal.
    Oh yea my instructor told me to measure yourself. (arms, forearms, neck, chest,waist, thighs, calves & hips)
    I've lost a total of 6inches in 2 full months all from Zumba.
    You go girl!
    Carol
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe dance shoes is what I need to try, hmmmm. My ankles and calves were on fire last night. The calves I can understand, but I'm not so happy about the ankles! Taking tonight off and then will resume tomorrow night. Any thoughts on the ankle thing?

They make some great dance sneakers. I like my capezio dance sneaker. They are flexiable but really great support.