Best Exercise to lose fat?

Options
Hey everyone, I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but, what would be the best exercise for someone my weight, age to lose fat? I really want to good results and have been working out consistently finally for the past 2 and a half weeks. Here is my info:

Weight: 142
Height: 5'3
Goal weight: 120-125

I have a smaller frame, most of my fat is in my stomach and back. I have been working out 4-5 days a week and my calorie intake is between 1300-1600 on average. I know that diet has to do a lot with weight loss, I'm not asking about diet, just exercise.

Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Most likely Cardio (treadmill, etc) and sleight weight resistance training.
    There's no magic potion, I find it's more about trial and error. Fat gets stored in different areas with different people and different exercises are more effective with some than others.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've found that doing cardio-type exercises helps burn fat. If you can do it, I highly recommend martial arts or some sort of boxing/kickboxing. You will burn MASSIVE calories doing those, and they're actually very fun. I find that doing taekwondo helps give me the added motivation of learning the new moves, improving, and earning new belts. You'll also find your body tightening up from it, after doing TKD for a month and a half after giving it up for 10 years, I found I had lost over an inch on each thigh, plus inches everywhere else, combined with a good diet. Good luck!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Watching what you eat is the best exercise for burning fat. Especially if you're smaller and don't have much to loose.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm sure this question gets asked a lot but, what would be the best exercise for someone my weight, age to lose fat? I really want to good results and have been working out consistently finally for the past 2 and a half weeks. Here is my info:

Weight: 142
    Height: 5'3
    Goal weight: 120-125

I have a smaller frame, most of my fat is in my stomach and back. I have been working out 4-5 days a week and my calorie intake is between 1300-1600 on average. I know that diet has to do a lot with weight loss, I'm not asking about diet, just exercise.

Thanks in advance:)

You want a well rounded exercise program. Exercise is for health. Exercise can't specifically help you burn fat.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. The easiest way is to eat less. You can increase the deficit with exercise, but increasing the deficit too much will help you burn fat + muscle.

Cardio helps build stamina, is great for your heart.....and burns a fair number of calories.

Strength training (burns fewer calories) BUT helps you maintain existing muscle mass while on a diet (provided you eat enough). Strength training is also good for your bones.

The best exercise is the one that you enjoy, something that you will do for a lifetime.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    weight lifting, followed by high intensisty intervals are the best ways to lose weight from your caloric deficit as body fat.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    hiit is very good for burning fat.
    aside from that if you are already active in the gym i'd say just review the f/p/c content of your macros. if your lower calories are comprised of high fat foods, you are expecting your body to live off of the stuff you're trying to shed. high protein, healthy carbs & natural fats are the way to go.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I get the impression that Diet is the most important aspect .. but that wasn't the question ... so after that I'd go for something that you can do for a very long time in any singe session .. Like Hiking or Cycling.. there the per hour 'burn' is lowish BUT can be sustained for extended periods and thus the total amount of energy burned is high..
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Any type of resistance exercise beats cardio -

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/01/do-we-systematically-underestimate.html

"For Mr. Average Joe with a body weight of 80kg, this would mean that his 30 minutes body weight workout doesn't consume 288kcal, but 576kcal and thus way more than 30min of jogging, which should cost him ~400kcal.

Bottom line: I guess I don't have to tell you that these results are very important. Not for you, obviously, because you as a SuppVersity reader know about the fallacy of working out to burn energy, but for all those Average Joes and specifically Janes out there who still believe that you'd lose weight by simply burning all the junk you eat off in the gym.

Cardio "addicts" would yet not be the only ones for whom these results - if they turn out to be substantial - would have huge consequences. The average "expert" on the panels we owe the wise dietary and exercise guidelines to, would probably also have to revise his opinion on the primary of "cardio" exercise for its "superior ability to help shed weight"... unfortunately, my gut tells me that I am the only one who even noticed the (future) publication of this paper in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning."

Resistance exercises - build muscle and burn more calories. It's a win win.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Any type of resistance exercise beats cardio -

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/01/do-we-systematically-underestimate.html

"For Mr. Average Joe with a body weight of 80kg, this would mean that his 30 minutes body weight workout doesn't consume 288kcal, but 576kcal and thus way more than 30min of jogging, which should cost him ~400kcal.

Bottom line: I guess I don't have to tell you that these results are very important. Not for you, obviously, because you as a SuppVersity reader know about the fallacy of working out to burn energy, but for all those Average Joes and specifically Janes out there who still believe that you'd lose weight by simply burning all the junk you eat off in the gym.

Cardio "addicts" would yet not be the only ones for whom these results - if they turn out to be substantial - would have huge consequences. The average "expert" on the panels we owe the wise dietary and exercise guidelines to, would probably also have to revise his opinion on the primary of "cardio" exercise for its "superior ability to help shed weight"... unfortunately, my gut tells me that I am the only one who even noticed the (future) publication of this paper in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning."

Resistance exercises - build muscle and burn more calories. It's a win win.
    You really don't have to be a Cardio 'addict' to see the benefits. Resistance is good, I agree, it all depends on the end goal!
    I concentrated my Cardio about 60 % Cardio and about 40% Resistance and because of that I would imagine that my stamina and ability to complete the things that I originally set out to complete (hiking, mountain climbing, etc) is far greater than somebody who has completely ignored Cardio completely.

Each to their own but I personally find this attitude negligent to the real reason most people want to get fit.
    Having a great body is one thing but only being able to throw a punch as the final result an do nothing else, that means nothing to me personally.