Am I the only one?

Options
These forums are riddled with people that talk about how hard their journey is, has been, is going to be. I realize that I'm now at the point where it's different from many of the folks here on MFP, but I wonder.

Am I the only one who has enjoyed the weight loss, fat loss, muscle mass increase, better nutrition and health ride?

Who's with me? I never really took eating right and exercising as a chain around my neck. Yes there were days when I was dreading my workout or feeling extra hungry, but overall, I was so proud of my efforts, and so happy at the physical changes, and so excited about trying new things, eating better foods, and raising the bar with my routines that those days don't really even register with me any more. I look back at the days when I was obese and actually think "Man, I don't think I'd mind doing it over again". Not that I'll go back to that just to do it again, but the memory of starting doesn't hold the pain for me that is seems it does for some of you guys.

I know there's gotta be a few of you guys out there that enjoy this ride as much as I do. Maybe that's why I'm so into helping people, because I enjoyed helping myself so much I want to share it with you guys.

the next time you feel down about your body, think about how cool it is that you're actually changing your body, not just talking about it or thinking about it. So what if it doesn't happen over night, it's still happening! Think about all the cool stuff you'll be able to do next week, next month, and next year.

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.
    :flowerforyou:
    Every time I am on the treadmill, and think about how I couldn't jog for 30 seconds when I joined here, I realize how amazing it is that I can now do 5K.
    I wouldn't change that for all the cookies in the world.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You know, last year I was whining just as much as everyone else. When I gained all of my weight back this year I realized that I deserved to gain it back, because I didn't appreciate anything that I had accomplished! There was always someone skinnier than me or some part of my body I wasn't satisfied with and that's all I focused on.

I am definitely enjoying the ride this time and I take great comfort in the fact that I am doing things for my body and soul that are wonderful!! The weight loss will come.

Thank you for this post! I hope a few people will read it and think "Wow, I really need to appreciate this more".
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I enjoyed being able to actually finish a workout DVD in the beginning and feel all the muscle groups that were worked during that time and also having it become easier every time I would do it so that I needed to get a more challenging workout. I've recently started jogging again and am constantly pushing myself to either go a little farther or decrease my time for my jogs (I don't go very far yet but I'm working on it). It's exciting to see how far I've come and the strength I've gained from working out and eating better foods.

You have been a big help on the forums with answering questions and helping people. I always look forward to seeing your posts as they are very informative.:smile:
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the process, just mostly discuss in negative ways what GOT me to the journey...bad relationships, eating disorders and such. You're right, we should enjoy these moments even if we think they aren't 'fun' right now!
  • francescorkill
    Options
    Oh totally! I have only lost 7 lbs but that is a huge difference already and I am loving it! I am appreciating my food and preparation so much more and look forward to my workouts on a daily basis. When I hit my goal weight it's going to be fantastic! It will be the first time I've been there since high school. :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    NOTHING beats the feeling of being healthy, eating well, or just finishing a killer workout. Sure there are some difficult patches but thats what makes this journey so special and worthwhile.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I loved it for 3 years. It all fell apart in June and I lost that lovin feeling. *hits forhead* stupid stupid stupid!!

I only gained back 10 pounds, but almost all the inches are back again. Muscle turned to fat when I stopped working out.

Thanks Steve for reminding me it is AWESOME to eat right. It feels GREAT to exercise. Feeling healthy is worth not watching TV and going to the gym.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I love my new found strength, independence and self confidence!! I love even more when I walk into the free weight area start lifting and look around to see I'm lifting more than some of the guys already there!!!! I don't think they love it as much!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I enjoyed being able to actually finish a workout DVD in the beginning and feel all the muscle groups that were worked during that time and also having it become easier every time I would do it so that I needed to get a more challenging workout. I've recently started jogging again and am constantly pushing myself to either go a little farther or decrease my time for my jogs (I don't go very far yet but I'm working on it). It's exciting to see how far I've come and the strength I've gained from working out and eating better foods.

You have been a big help on the forums with answering questions and helping people. I always look forward to seeing your posts as they are very informative.:smile:

you make a good point. I sometimes finish a hard workout, and a few hours later think about how that same workout would leave me ruined for a full 2 days when I first started. Sometimes I long for that DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) because I KNOW it was a good workout. Now I try new workouts with the hopes that I'll hit a muscle group in a way that I haven't yet, and will get that feeling back. Sadly, there are very few that do this any more for me (which is a good thing I guess), so normally I just up the intensity (which is great, but short duration, and no DOMS :cry: ) Hey, look at me, I've worked so hard I can't make my muscle sore any more! Woo Hoo! Well, I think I could if I REAALLLY wanted to :devil:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I will say it this way..it is hard. its hard to see your friends drinking and eating crap while I sit there with a grilled chicken sandwich and rice or veggies and diet soda, water, or tea(or if drinking a clear something). Its not easy to turn down a late night cause I have to be awake at 5 am for a race....its not easy to turn down things that made me fat that tasted so good...BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT heres the kicker...I LOVED IT!!!! I remeber back in high school when i was on track I said one day I will run a marathon. Then after that came the "fat days" and walking was the challenge. Then on an October day in 2007 I made the decision to change and never ever looked back. It was HARD but that pain that sacrifice all kinda felt good in some way and it changed my life in so many ways I cant even begin to list. It was a case where the ends did justify the means and when I look back and think i once DREAMED of running marathons...now I DREAM of which races I can pick and the fun places I will get to see. So I will take from both ends and say its a hard rough ride that feels soooooooo good
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I just love that I a actually prefer healthier things! I never thought I could run...never really wanted too because I was scared I would fail and now I love it. Nothing compares to the pride I have for myself. I work with some people here in my office who are trying to get fit and all they focus on is the negative and they try to group me in with them and I hate that! I look at how far I have come and I respect myself. I don't sit and think "I will only look good if I lose X pounds" I look in the mirror and I like who I am already :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I will say it this way..it is hard. its hard to see your friends drinking and eating crap while I sit there with a grilled chicken sandwich and rice or veggies and diet soda, water, or tea(or if drinking a clear something). Its not easy to turn down a late night cause I have to be awake at 5 am for a race....its not easy to turn down things that made me fat that tasted so good...BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT heres the kicker...I LOVED IT!!!! I remeber back in high school when i was on track I said one day I will run a marathon. Then after that came the "fat days" and walking was the challenge. Then on an October day in 2007 I made the decision to change and never ever looked back. It was HARD but that pain that sacrifice all kinda felt good in some way and it changed my life in so many ways I cant even begin to list. It was a case where the ends did justify the means and when I look back and think i once DREAMED of running marathons...now I DREAM of which races I can pick and the fun places I will get to see. So I will take from both ends and say its a hard rough ride that feels soooooooo good

I almost went to that bad place in my head with this last sentence, but I'll keep it PG for everyone here (feel free to make up your own comeback):tongue:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you on this. I enjoy the positive people I have met, the challenges I have faced and overcome, the lessons I've learned, knowing that I can reach goals that stretch me really far and helping others. I absolutely have had many days when I did not want to do a workout, get up at 5am to run, or run in the 20 degree freezing cold etc etc. But every time I felt that way and did it anyhow, I was so glad afterwards. That is what motivation is about...the feeling you get after doing something you didn't want to do and it propels you forward like a sling shot for the next time!
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no problem with the way I am eating and my new found love of walking. But what bugs me is that I'm losing weight at a snails pace. In comparision to those who had the same goal as me, they have reached their goals. I'm still far far far away. 9 months and only 14lbs. Snail pace.

Doesn't make a difference what I do, I lose the same weight if I exercise an hour a day and micromanage what I eat. Or if I exercise 3x a week and just eat in moderation without eating perfectly "clean".

So I can't join the "its been easy as pie club for the scale to move". Yes its been easy as pie to maintain my new changes, I have no doubt I'll maintain my weight loss. It's just getting to the goal that is ...exasperating!!

smiley-char039.gif

:-)
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I understand both sides of this particular issue. When I first started on this journey I found it to be relatively simple. I was ready to take the step and I saw very steady progress for over a year. I started exercising and eating properly and the results just came. I was proud, my friends and family were proud and supportive. I lost 85 pounds in the first year. I still wanted to lose about 25 more. What's more important is that I knew that I had taken control of my health and improved it.

Some of that has stayed. I love the exercise and feel great. I'm stronger, more flexible, have more stamina and I've made a lot of friends with people at my gym. My blood pressure and all the other health indicators (various blood tests) have moved from the danger zone to normal or better than normal.

The weight loss side of the equation has become a source of frustration. I'm 48 now and I think hormone levels are wreaking havoc with my ability to not only lose weight but with my ability to control cravings. I've gained back a little bit of the weight I lost ( it ranges from about 10 to 15 pounds) and am really struggling to find a diet that will work. i gain and lose the same five pounds over and over. Oddly enough it doesnt seem to matter if I eat 1000 or 4000 calories a day, the results tend to be the same.

So, I'm in start over mode. I've faced the facts that I've let my frustration put me back into an emotional eating mode and that, although the lack of progress in the beginning could be blamed on hormones and getting older, that for the last six months it's been my own fault and I've got to get back to my healthy habits. I'm not as optimistic as I was a few years ago but I know it can be done and that I've done it. Now, I just have to embrace it.
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You are definitely right! You actually made me think about it, and I totally agree with you. That's not something I've realized until now, that it has been such an enjoyable process to realize what I have accomplished. I'm glad I've bettered myself and that I'm not over weight or eating unhealthy like I was. I enjoyed the discoveries of how enjoyable eating healthier was/is, and how much fun it is to feel the burn when using muscles that haven't ever been worked out. Thanks for pointing out to me that I should continue to enjoy the process, however slow it may have been.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I don't think I enjoyed my initial weight loss as I probably did it too quickly in hindsight but have thoroughly enjoyed maintaining weight, fitness and increasing strength over the last 3 years.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have struggled some, but for the most part, i set short-term goals and met them all (with the exception of my Christmas goal which I am only .6 lbs from accomplishing at this point. I have sooo enjoyed reducing weight - seeing the lbs fall off, knowing that I am getting healthier every day. I have accomplished so much in such a short time (6 months and 63 lbs down). What is there to complain about. I know that if I am not losing weight - it is because I am NOT doing something I SHOULD be doing. I can blame no one else when I reach a plateau (I don't have real plateaus - just a couple of days to a week without reducing). I feel great, I look good, and I believe that I have changed my life. Everyday I look in the mirror now and see a person that I really do like - inside and out.

I feel bad for those who haven't found the internal motivation to accomplish the goals they have set for themselves. I wish I had sage advice or could provide guidance for them that would help. I know, however, for me the key is just doing what I know I need to do - that is different for each and every person.

Blessings to all

Vickie
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think we all love the victories (scale or non-scale) and love how we feel when we are healthier, but that's the easy part. The hard part, the part where we need the most support, is during the sucky parts (and there are always sucky parts)...thus there can be a good bit of whining on the site. But it's good whining! It lets us know that we are not alone! We can overcome!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm with you 100% - I'm enjoying every second of this journey. I wouldn't be sad if it could happen in fast forward (hah!) but I'm definitely enjoying it.

(And I have to say, the whining makes me want to put a spork in my eye - but I didn't say that!)