• Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    it just means that after they had kids, they became ugly
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    LMAO

Most of my facebook pictures are of my dog.

I've been posting more of myself as my confidence level rises. Maybe it's a self-confidence issue?

My bf always has his main pic be of his kids....I know for a fact that for him it's a self confidence issue.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    there aren't many pics of me on mine for 2 reasons:
    1) i take 99% of the pics
    2) no one in my family cares about seeing pics of me. They like seeing my kids. many family members only see my kids twice a year, so pics through FB are great for them
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The thing for me is that my children are NOT the center of the universe, and they should not be. It is my opinion that parents who make the kids the end-all-be-all are doing their children a disservice, and those children often grow up to be self-centered adults with little to no concept of the needs of others.

My husband and I were "us" before the kids came along, and we will still be "us" after they move out. The marital relationship is the center, because without it, the rest would simply not exist. Although my kids are the reason I do a lot of things, *I* am the center of our little universe. Because if I don't take care of me, the rest falls apart.

To answer the OP, yes I have seen this trend. I can only hope the children grow up to be independent, compassionate people. In spite of their parents.

Most intelligent and reasonable post ever. Lady, you rock.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Its funny the only pictures I am posting now are my husband and kids. There is a reason =) Once my body looks like it should for all the freaking work I am putting into it, then I am planning my bathing suit shot. Like a reveal!
  • ldawngirl
    Options
    I went to a friend's party a few months ago - all females and all but two of them had kids (my being one of those two). For one hour straight, all they talked about were their kids, pregnancy, babies, schools, etc. Not only was I bored to tears as obviously I didn't have much to contribute (and if/when I did, it was from someone sans children, so what do I know?), but also, it's ridiculously sad that grown women with careers, beliefs, and opinions have nothing better to talk about. In 18 years when those kids are grown up and have their own lives, what are you left with?

Rant over! :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this with my friends, the majority of their photos are of their kids.
    Doesn't really bother me.

What does annoy me is the status`s that go like this... "mommy loves you very much and is very proud of you for getting you first tooth". It's a baby, it does not have facebook and it can't read.
    Why do people do this? Why not just put "I am a proud mom, baby x got their first tooth"
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I post more of the grand baby now.
    The younger 2 are teenagers and I'm not cool enough to post their pics!!!

Kidding, I'm awesome and I post whatever...lol

Pics of me however are from friends tagging me....
    You know here's cliff under the table at the bar.
    Haha look at the foot prints on his hands as he crawled out of the bar, etc:laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm on Facebook enough to be bothered. I like seeing pics of far away friend's kids and babies.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    my mom rarely posts pictures of me wtf :frown:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I went to a friend's party a few months ago - all females and all but two of them had kids (my being one of those two). For one hour straight, all they talked about were their kids, pregnancy, babies, schools, etc. Not only was I bored to tears as obviously I didn't have much to contribute (and if/when I did, it was from someone sans children, so what do I know?), but also, it's ridiculously sad that grown women with careers, beliefs, and opinions have nothing better to talk about. In 18 years when those kids are grown up and have their own lives, what are you left with?

Memories. We are left with some really awesome memories of our children. We are also left with a support of fellow friends who have been their to see our children grow right along with us. When the kids are grown and left the house, they will still remain the center of my attention, because the pride a parent feels for a child, generally never fades.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Memories. We are left with some really awesome memories of our children. We are also left with a support of fellow friends who have been their to see our children grow right along with us. When the kids are grown and left the house, they will still remain the center of my attention, because the pride a parent feels for a child, generally never fades.
    ]

This answer strikes me as sad and extremely limiting.

Why can't moms have their own lives, hopes, dreams, goals, plans, and happiness OUTSIDE of the mother or grandmother experience? I'm not a parent as I said, and never going to be as I believe all kids should be wanted and cherished and I've never wanted them...but that aside, I have so many friends who are devoted mothers but still don't act like the women in the top post quoted here. They may talk about all of those child-related things for 20 minutes but then they speak of other interests for 40 minutes.

My own mom was extremely doting and involved, but she still had her own life and I think I am so much better off because of that...and so is she, now at 63 with no grandchildren. She has plenty of interests and a fulfilling life.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

]

This answer strikes me as sad and extremely limiting.

Why can't moms have their own lives, hopes, dreams, goals, plans, and happiness OUTSIDE of the mother or grandmother experience? I'm not a parent as I said, and never going to be as I believe all kids should be wanted and cherished and I've never wanted them...but that aside, I have so many friends who are devoted mothers but still don't act like the women in the top post quoted here. They may talk about all of those child-related things for 20 minutes but then they speak of other interests for 40 minutes.

My own mom was extremely doting and involved, but she still had her own life and I think I am so much better off because of that...and so is she, now at 63 with no grandchildren. She has plenty of interests and a fulfilling life.

No one is saying that a mom can't have their own lives, dreams and hopes outside of parenting. However, when I made the decision to become a mother, THAT was my dream. I wanted to be a mom. That doesn't mean I don't get out with friends or do other things on my own, but most of what I do is with my kids in mind. There is nothing saying that a life without kids can't be fulfilling. My love and adoration for my kids in no way effects how someone else lives their life.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

True. I like to think I am a well-rounded person (and I guess I need to note that my profile pic on Facebook is of me, but only recently as it has been a pic of my kids for well over a year). The generalization that because people talk about their kids with other parents means that they don't have a life outside of those kids is just as repugnant as someone saying that people who choose to not have kids are selfish. Neither of these statements are true.

I have a life outside of my kids. It's a great life with date nights and sex and alcohol and adult humor. But I also have this great life of disney world, birthday parties, school projects, bike riding, playing outside, dressing little girls like princesses, playing with barbies, etc. These things can exist simultaneously, but guess which one I'm willing to divulge on Facebook?
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    In addition to this, I don't like it when I get Christmas cards of just the kids. I want to see my friends on the card too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    In addition to this, I don't like it when I get Christmas cards of just the kids. I want to see my friends on the card too.

Me too! I actually like seeing their children, whether on a card or a facebook post. It is neat to watch them grow and to see the resemblance(s) to their parent(s)...really fun in fact. But I want to see the parents, too. They are my friends.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I only really usually put pictures of my kids up. They're both incredibly handsome, while I'm just funny looking
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I post photos of myself and my kids. Well balanced, not a lot of either.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yep. All the time. I block 'em. I'll still be their friend, but I'm friends with THEM not their kids.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Too many pictures of anything gets boring. Kids, pets, etc.,

Mix it up a bit....show that you have more than one interest in your life.Your friends want to see there is balance in your life, at least thats the way I read a lot of these comments.