Swap this for that!

Options

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions instead of bigger portions!
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. Good luck off to have my last chocolate of the night

Why does it make you sad?

People aren't saying they will never have their favourite thing ever again - but if you are going to lose weight, you are going to have to make some changes to your eating habits ( and/or do more exercise) .
    So if one of their changes is swapping, say, a regular snack of ice cream to a snack of frozen grapes, why is this sad?

Because some people here don't believe in giving up anything. They just work it into their calories. If it fits, they eat it.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict anything, but I do find "swaps" helpful on occasion. When I'm nearly at my limits for the day, and I want to binge on salty chips, instead I eat a whole package of seaweed snacks (I like Annie Chun's the best). The whole package is 60 calories. If I need dessert, I have a whole bag of jello cubes instead. Just nom nom nom right out of the bag. The whole thing is 45 calories.

Of course, the ideal day is one where I've got a billion leftover calories in my "budget," and I get a blizzard at Dairy Queen, but hey -- sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I get the "munchies" I eat raw veggies. It gets in the veggies I need without adding a lot of calories. I salt instead of using dips.
  • jacqueinhutto
    jacqueinhutto Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Swapped white bread for 40 cal wheat bread, ice cream for frozen yogurt, and ground meat for ground turkey, flour tortillas for corn tortillas.....
  • picklelou
    Options
    Great post! I'm always trying to think of inventive ways to swap out foods for better versions.

So far my main swapsies are:

- Mashed & steamed Cauliflour for Rice
    - Spiralized Zucchini in place of pasta & Spaghetti noodles
    - Thinly sliced zucchini in place of Lasagne Noodles
    - large lettuce leafs used instead of taco shells
    - Low fat turkey mince, in place of beef mince
    - burgers now come protein style in our house (lose the bun and wrap it in lettuce)
    - Home made raw chocolate instead of crappy stuff made with refined sugar. It tastes WAY better.
    - Fresh Rice Paper Rolls with veggies & protein in place of sandwiches/subs
    - Nutribullet Smoothie in place of sugary cereal
    - Home made overnight oats instead of shop bought cereal.
  • recoveringleah
    Options
    peanut butter → PB2
    dairy milk → almond milk
    ice cream → frozen yogurt
    white bread → wheat bread
    milkshakes → fruit smoothies
    fast food → home-cooked meals!
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I swapped dip for hummus, yum...swapped oil for applesauce in baking
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've really swapped anything. I've simply quit buying my weakness (strawberry Twizzlers) and I've swapped the serving size of whatever ice cream we have for eating half the container. I do eat spaghetti squash but I have definitely not swapped that for pasta!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Light sprinkling of crumbled blue cheese and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to replace salad dressing.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Pizza with a spoonful of brown rice and 1/2 a cherry tomato.
    Ice cream with plant protein powder stirred into water.
    Chocolate with spinach and some agave nectar, but only if I'm feeling naughty.

Seriously, though, some of these are a little bit ridiculous... I understand that whatever the "swap" is may be a "healthier" or lower calorie alternative, but you aren't really replacing the original thing. Zucchini is not pasta. If you're going to eat zucchini just call it zucchini.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I dont think that's what they mean Iknowsaur - Im sure nobody is saying grapes are the same as ice cream - but they are saying they used to regularly snack on a bowl of ice cream and now they snack on a bowl of frozen grapes.

Less calories in frozen grapes and therefore easier to fit into calorie allowance.

not saying they will never have ice cream again - but if it doesn't fit into allowance they have found a low calorie alternative to swap for. No-one is saying they are giving up the swapped food entirely.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    New Find....

Tuna salad sandwich with bread----> Tuna salad on celery sticks.

Added bonus you can use the celery stick as a spoon to get the tuna onto the celery stick.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post!
    I agree with some others who are using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas/taco shells. I do this everytime now.....and I actually don't miss the tortilla at all (serious!) - -as for pizza and ice cream.....well........i'm working on it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. Good luck off to have my last chocolate of the night

Me too. Swap all the original things for a smaller portion of the original thing and fit it in your day - some of these are horrible (you know who you are, cauliflower pizza crust)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For cooking sauces and gravies, replacing fats and heavy heavy creams with chicken broth and 1% or skim milk is a great alternative. I also use broth for pasta dishes that call for a lot of butter. I use a little butter for flavor, but a lot of calories are saved, and dishes still taste great!

Good topic, thanks.
  • SunnyYakimaniac
    SunnyYakimaniac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love this topic and have found new ideas. Keep them coming. :)
  • chrystyna01
    Options
    Edys outshine coconut bars instead of ice cream. They are soo good I don't feel like i'm missing a thing! :drinker:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Swaps huh? Hm....

Applesauce for oils in baking
    I have halved the amount of meat in pasta sauce and filled it with vegetables. I have also done this with the pasta in pasta dishes such as ziti and lasgana...that cuts A LOT of calories.
    Plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
    I do a 50/50 mix of whole wheat flour with all purpose now....mainly for the fiber increase.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I make my own wraps with only 5 carbs.
    I use cauliflower to make faux mashed potatoes.
    Almond milk instead of skim.