HRM ?? In need of Info.

Options
Hi there!

For those who purchased an HRM in the past, which is the best kind and how much did you pay? It seems to be very costly. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a budget heart rate monitor without all the bells and whistles, I recommend Polar FT4 - you can find it on amazon for a decent price. I have it and I love mine!
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I second the FT4. It's costly, but it makes weight loss much easier. DO NOT get the kind with just a watch. It's not even worth it, because inevitably it's going to tell you either too many calories or too few, no matter how many times you touch it during your workout. (Source: Experience. I had one, then switched to a chest strap and realized I'd been counting about 1.5x too many calories burned.)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The FT4 is a nice budget heart rate monitor as suggested.

Just be sure and know that HRMs are only relatively accurate for steady state cardio activities. If you plan on doing strength training HRMs are virtually worthless for tracking calorie burn.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if you plan on running outside spend a little more and get a garmin forerunner 210. I had the FT4 and now the FT7 and with the two combined just a little more I could have gotten the Garmin which I'm about to buy. GPS enabled and HRM.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Trust me here. Go buy a Garmin device. It will make anything that says Polar look like the toy that it is...........
  • Justx80
    Justx80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It is simple, and it simply gets the job done.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 but only because with price match I got it for about the same price as a Polar FT4!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with my Polar FT4. I also have a Timex Global Trainer watch with HRM strap and a footpod. The FT4 is good because it will talk to most gym equipment these days. The Timex HRM seems a bit more proprietary, so I have to use it with the watch. I do like my Timex, though, as it records a lot of data and you can customize the displays. Either way, chest straps are the most accurate. And, if you have a smart phone, you can often sync them with an app like Endomondo to track your workout.
  • conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I think Ill be purchasing a Polar FT4 .. it seems great and exactly what I'm looking for. Ill definitely get it with a chest strap. You have all been very helpful!!