Is 1500 calories/Day Okay? HELP!

Options
My starting weight=267.5 (yuck!) I have lost 9.5 lbs in 12 days by setting MFP calories to 1500/day.

I also exercise 3-5 times a week. When I do exercise it is INTENSE! When I log what I've done on the Elliptical it says I've burned 600 something calories. Is this accurate? I do eat more than 1500 calories daily on some days when I go to the gym.

Thanks,
Kim

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's an esitmate...typically the suggsetion is to eat back 50-75% of those calories.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your BMR?

You don't want to be netting below your BMR, and that's a good baseline to use for what's "okay." Since your BMR excludes any incidental exercise, it'll also be okay if you are overestimating your calories burned (as both MFP and exercise machines often do.)
  • lalapurpledog
    lalapurpledog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1,929 and I am 5'8
    1,929 seems like an awful lot though :-/
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1,929 and I am 5'8
    1,929 seems like an awful lot though :-/

Well.... to be honest I kind of want to say "too bad."
    Consistently eating below your BMR can cause metabolic damage. Your body needs that 1929 calories to keep your organs functioning probably. If you are weighing and measuring all your food, you need to be eating at that level. If you're guessing a whole bunch you may be able to get away with a goal closer to 1700-1800 due to the inaccuracy of your logging methods. 1500 is still too low, even if you were perfectly sedentary (which you are not) your TDEE would be 2300+
  • lalapurpledog
    lalapurpledog Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will try upping my calories and see how this goes. I just hope I don't gain back the 9.5 lbs I worked so hard to lose. Thanks for your reply :-)