Best phone app for walking/running

Options
I'm trying to run outside more on the treadmill and it's so difficult for me. I have used Endomondo for years but I find that the GPS doesn't seem accurate. Sometimes it will say more shorter route is 1.19 miles and other times it will say it's 1.42 when it's the exact same route. I find this is troublesome because I think I'm progressing with walking more than jogging because my time is faster but it really isn't.

Do you recommend any other apps for running? Mapmyrun or Nike Run? I've seen people post from both of those before. What are the pro's/cons?

Also, any tips on not being so out of breath when running outside? On a treadmill I can jog a mile easily, outside I have to slow down to walk to catch my breath a couple times.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Recently have had wonky gps from runtastic and map my run. Days where I run 12MPH while skipping back and forth over large buildings. I even left my superman socks and cape at home and it still happened. So no recs there.

Slow down.

Read ThickMcRunFast's post on So You Want To Start Running for the best running advice for newbies.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've used mapmywalk/ride/run etc. in the past and liked them a lot, not sure i'd use anything but those. i recently started using rundouble for the Couch to 5k im working up to and like that a lot also, it also does manual runs.

I dont know about the treadmill but from what i've read the treadmill is easier then outdoors, i'm only going outdoors right now. i'm guessing in the winter i'll have to go to the gym and use the treadmill but i'm guessing i'll have to up the pace and incline to be more like outdoors.
  • rontuu
    rontuu Posts: 23
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. For the most part its fairly accurate. I do the same walk every day at work and it keeps the mileage the same. The GPS can glitch but it's a rare occurrence. (I.E. It'll say you went five miles when you went one.) It also lets you manually track and it can sync right up with the myfitnesspal app.
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Zombies, Run! It's a game-based app that keeps track of your mileage/pace, but you're on a mission as a runner and have to collect items. You even have to run faster to avoid zombies. It's really fun. I LOVE IT.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I have been comparing Runtastic and Runkeeper. They are essentially equivalent--each has some things that are better than the other (about personal preference). In terms of accuracy, they seem to be giving the same basic results on the same route. I did notice a bit more variation from Runkeeper but I need to use it a bit more. Either one is a good app in my opinion. Both synch nicely with MFP.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. For the most part its fairly accurate. I do the same walk every day at work and it keeps the mileage the same. The GPS can glitch but it's a rare occurrence. (I.E. It'll say you went five miles when you went one.) It also lets you manually track and it can sync right up with the myfitnesspal app.

Same here. One time I had a bad GPS signal and so it started my walk at my house which was like 20 miles from where I was - but mostly I find it to be very accurate.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Also, any tips on not being so out of breath when running outside? On a treadmill I can jog a mile easily, outside I have to slow down to walk to catch my breath a couple times.

That sounds like you are not controlling your pace. When you go off treadmill it is easy to run faster than you think you are. Hold yourself back and use one the apps to tell you your pace--you might be surprised.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When I lived in an area where GPS was bad, I got the Nike+ shoe sensor. It appeared accurate by about 10%, better when combined with the GPS...
    Now I use both Nike+ and runkeeper. Nike for the community/ competition. RK for tracking running as well as cycling, and syncing to MFP...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Recently have had wonky gps from runtastic and map my run. Days where I run 12MPH while skipping back and forth over large buildings. I even left my superman socks and cape at home and it still happened. So no recs there.

Slow down.

Read ThickMcRunFast's post on So You Want To Start Running for the best running advice for newbies.

Here's the running thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    I use Runtastic Pro and have had no issues. Have also used Strava, MapMyRun & RunKeeper. I think it all comes down to where you're running and if there is clear GPS signal.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've always used mapmyrun. There was some glitches a few months back (they made a lot of changes/updates) but I haven't had problems since.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I like to use Run Keeper, it seems very accurate and I've never had any issues when doing any of the activities it tracks!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and Runmeeter has been the most accurate for me so far. And also does elevation, which I love. It's my go to app for hiking and biking. Has a ton of options for all types of other activities

Now, I'm new to running so I have been playing with c2k5 apps lately. The zombie c25k ones are a lot of fun. Going to try out Easy 5k by lolo next as I've read some great things about it. Hope you find one that works for you!
  • bedot
    bedot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Zombies, Run! It's a game-based app that keeps track of your mileage/pace, but you're on a mission as a runner and have to collect items. You even have to run faster to avoid zombies. It's really fun. I LOVE IT.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Awesome I need something new...gonna try this, thanks!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was searching for other people having problems with the GPS on Runtastic - I've been using it the past few weeks as well as wearing my fitbit. When I first got my fitbit I made sure to measure my steps to make sure that was set right, and sometimes I look up my running routes before I go on google maps, but Runtastic often comes up short of what google maps and/or my Fitbit say I have done. I haven't been very happy with it. I did a 3.4 mile run yesterday (google mapped and fitbit steps) and Runtastic said I only did 2.5! Yikes! I'm just putting my two cents out there, I'll be trying other apps in the near future, as after 3 weeks of runtastic I'm not too thrilled.
    Does anyone else have this problem when using multiple trackers/devices?
  • glynnm4
    glynnm4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just started using runkeeper, just for walking and manually logging use on the cross trainer. Finding it great so far.