How do you stay motivated during cardio?

Options

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, try to find cardio that you like. I like working out on the elliptical, but I have to have music. Most of the time I remember to sing along silently if I'm at the gym. Most of the time.
  • mellyons55
    mellyons55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way until I found spin class! I don't know if it is the peer pressure of not leaving a class early or what but I last the hour and it doesn't feel like torture ;)
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I pretend I am training to be a superhero >.>
    ^^This! Also, listening to audiobooks in itunes on the phone can be great, although I sometimes find myself going slower just to drag out the amount of time I get to listen to the story...maybe not the best plan, but I'm definitely never bored.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Read books. Or, use my android app Moonreader Pro ( since my iphone has nothing comparable ) read them to me while I run. Currently re-reading book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire - one of the Game of Thrones series to those who have seen the TV series. Since the books are 30 plus hours of reading time each, it keeps me very distracted on the run.

So I bring my active iphone to keep track of my pace and miles, and my android phone in my spibelt reading to me.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Get outside..breathe in the fresh air and nature let your mind wonder freely. With intense cardio..Just keeping up is motivator enough for me.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Kinda strange, but when I'm on the elipitical I always pretend I'm teaching a class! In my head I welcome any new gym buddies etc and then start the 'class'. I yell at them to stay motivated and talk to them about the music etc. It's really weird but keeps me having fun!

This is the cutest thing I've read. EVER! Love it! :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, cardio doesn't do too much for body composition, bar let you eat more (which does help me, I like food.)
    However, it does have various other benefits, so I consider it worth doing myself.

For running, I find it really helps running with others - look for a local running club.
    For cycling, I often 'cycle for cake' just doing daily stuff - to and from work, to the shops and so on.
    On a weekend day I'll easily do 30-40 miles in total going around the place running errands etc. Panniers and carrying shopping means a few more calories burnt :). And, because I can lock the bike up right outside the shops, miss out section, queues and so on, generally I find I don't take massively longer than if I'd gone by car - Maybe I'll, say, spend 3 hours travelling rather than 2 hours, but I'll also get 3 hours worth of exercise for spending one extra hour on, which is a pretty good deal I reckon :).
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    A picture on the wall of The Rock!
    So when i get on my treadmill i just keep trying to get to him!
    He likes to play hard to get! :smooched:
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This sounds really silly, but I daydream as I listen to music and do cardio. I just make up some scenario and play it while I run, go on the elliptical, walk, and so on. I suppose you could daydream about anything you wanted to, lol. Mine usually just involve traveling, meeting new people, and me being super cool and badass.
    It helps I promise hahaha

This.
    I'm climbing the Grand Teton late this summer, and I need the cardio for endurance purposes. I get lost in a daydream about just how freaking awesome it's going to be to power up Garnet Canyon with a packed 65L multi-day on my shoulders, and NOT be dead and gone when I finally climb up the fixed rope and set up camp on the lower saddle.
    <3 Rocking and rolling in the back country is my favorite day dream.
    And also hot men play in the back country. ;D
  • Gingerkid05
    Gingerkid05 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love all of the people that day dream and pretend too! I always imagine that I am finishing a huge race and people are cheering for me. Or I pretend I am in the music video of what I am listening to and I look super hot because I have a runners body. lol
  • loriannkirkwood
    Options
    Set goals when during your cardio workout. i.e. My first goal today was to run 10 minutes and once I reached that goal I walked at a rapid pace for 1 minute. I did that 3 times and before you know it I had run 33 minutes. Next week I will up that to 12 minutes and so on.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My flatmate does something similar and she uses "Epic film songs" (like the lord of the Rings soundtrack) for similar effect. Try it!

Woah, woah, woah... Cardio with Aragorn?
    Count. Me. In!
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fast pace music and a tv.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Music goes a long way. If I'm at the gym on a machine I kind of stock "with my eyes" an interesting individual and follow their workout. Hot or not, it just gives me something to do.
    Intervals help, either sprints or hills.
    If I'm running outside for a long run I usually go with a friend.
    I daydream and let my mind wander-Come back to reality and focus on form and breathing.

I also have competitions with the people next to me at the gym. Who can go faster, stronger longer.
  • Jodyraedoula
    Jodyraedoula Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use the timer on my phone. 45 seconds of hard fast resistance on the cross trainer.. Then 45 of easy speed. I am only doin 12 min of cardiovascular work a day to begin with and weight training the rest of my time in the gym. Any how today my 12 min went so fast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Personally I run outside with no music. Running outside is tougher than the treadmill (unless it's incline running) and unlike the treadmill, I can't just quit. If I got out there I have to get back. No music for me works because I really get a chance to assess me, what I plan to do that day and any new workouts I can think to put together. Oh and how I can build a zombie proof house.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • oliviaohair
    oliviaohair Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This sounds really silly, but I daydream as I listen to music and do cardio. I just make up some scenario and play it while I run, go on the elliptical, walk, and so on. I suppose you could daydream about anything you wanted to, lol. Mine usually just involve traveling, meeting new people, and me being super cool and badass.
    It helps I promise hahaha

I honestly do the same thing. I have lost about 80lbs and I have been away from home for a long time. So I will plan and daydream. I think about how skinny I'll be by the time I get home and see everyone. I think about the outfit I want to buy when I reach my goal. Or, much like above, I'll just daydream ridiculous scenarios... haha
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    2 things:
    - music you can sing along to
    - misery loves company ... workout partner
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So funny about the zombie proof house.
    That's one of the things I daydream about.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hate working out and the only thing I've managed to make myself do consistently is the stationary bike. I used to listen to music and pretend I was a karaoke superstar... this time it's gotten harder, but I downloaded the Dark Tower audiobook series to my mp3 player and that's helped. I've already read them, but I just love the story so much. Only listening to it on the bike keeps me going back.