Forerunner 220 HRM options...

Options
I just bought a new FR220. When I bought it I was told there are better options for compatible HRMs than the one that comes with it. I can't remember what they suggested. Has anyone here had any experience with other brand HRM and the fr220?

TIA:-)

Replies

• GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit that I use 24/7, however, I also use a Polar FT4 HRM for heavy work outs so I can get a more accurate reading of calories burned. I like it!
  • Sjarkey15
    Sjarkey15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wasn't quite what I was asking but thanks... This is actually replacing my Polar FT40.
  • LizaGetz
    LizaGetz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a Polar girl all the way. Was in love with my FT60, but it suffered a sudden demise a few weeks ago (after 3 years). My BF got me a Polar RS400 and I'm still learning how to use it. It was designed as a runner's watch but you need a separate foot pod to track your runs. I love that it shows me my heart rate zones and how long I was in each zone. My old one showed me what percent of calories I burned were fat calories (meaning what % I'm in the fat burning zone). Can't find it on the new watch yet.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You talking about a Garmin FR220? I have the strap that's recommended for my Garmin 210 and it works just fine. It's a soft strap, pretty comfortable, no problems with readings.

What are you looking for other than that in a HR monitor?
  • LizaGetz
    LizaGetz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Doh, sorry, Sam! I misread what you were asking as well. Sorry, but no idea on what might work with the Garmin.
  • BadHammers
    Options
    My wife and I both have FR220's, and I have an Edge 510 for my bike. She ordered her 220 with the premium bundle, and I ordered my Edge with the same, which is also compatible with my 220. Her premium strap is nicer than my premium strap, which is a year older. Either "premium" strap is more comfortable than the rigid strap. If you got the premium HRM bundle with your FR220, then really what you have is very good. There is a higher priced Garmin HRM (IIRC, its called HRM - Run and provides a few extra features.)

Personally, can't think of how any other HRM would be better than the garmin HRM with premium strap. However, there is a learning curve. You do have to place it in the recommended place, which for me is basically a finger's width above the base of my sternum with the strap mighty tight. You also have to moisten the contacts for proper reading before you get sweaty, especially in cooler &/or drier conditions. I spit on my fingers and moisten the contacts on the strap. While this sounds nasty, it really isn't any nastier than getting sweaty.

Having said all of that, I have read an article where a polar strap was used with the garmin monitor with good results. This might be worth looking into if you're still having problems with your current HRM. The article noted the combo was not backward compatible with itself, in other words the polar strap worked with the garmin HRM, but the Garmin strap did not work with the Polar HRM. I think I found that article by googling "Garmin HRM problems".
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The newest Garmins, the HRM3 and the HR_Run (you got the HRM3 with the 220, mine came with it), are the best today.

But they don't work for everyone.
    Some people get better results with the OG Garmin plastic strap (HRM1)
    The 4iii strap is interesting
    Not many people use the Suunto ANT+ strap

If your having trouble, a HR strap electrode gel will work better than changing straps. Buh-bump is what lots of people recommend