Need lo-cal "frosting" idea for 2 indegrient muffins.

Options
2»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance but love to cook and eat, I find myself easily going over my calories. I love to find meals/snacks that I can get as low calorie as possible to maximize the amount I can eat but retaining the enjoyment of the taste.

I will still eat the powdered sugar frosting, i just have to regulate how much...

how about a glaze using lemon juice and stevia - usually my glaze for a lemon loaf is just lemon juice and powdered sugar?
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the calories are on this but I'm gonna tell you anyway:

1 box of jello pudding mix, whatever flavor you want. (sugar free if you want)
    1 tub of cool whip light, free, whatever
    1/2 the amount of milk the pudding mix calls for

mix the pudding powder and milk together until smooth, then fold in the cool whip. put it in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes, and that's it!
    I've made this with cheesecake flavored pudding mix and it was excellent :happy:
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you used the stevia for other things? There can be a huge difference between brands of stevia when it comes to bitterness and aftertaste.
    You might also see if you can get a small bottle of sugar free vanilla syrup (the kind coffee shops use) to sweeten instead.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    whipped coconut cream

can of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight. skim the top heavy part.. you will have about 1 cup of milk at the bottom save it for smoothies

beat the heavy cream part, add in some vanilla and powdered sugar.. you will have a beautiful whip cream i have used like a cool whip for pies or cupcakes..

healthy fat.. some sweetness from powdered sugar and vanilla.. its really yummy

nice tip! Iove coconut :)

I've never made coconut whip before, but I have heard to store the can upside down in the fridge and turn it over before opening it. That way the milk pours off the top and you can easily scoop the cream out.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    thanks.. you beat me to my edit.. yes if you put it upside down in the fridge it separates the milk from the cream.. whip the cream with whatever you like..it make a beautiful fluffy topping..
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I keep coming back here - I think it's because it's about frosting :blushing:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Ingredients For Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
    *2 Tbsp Almond Flour,
    *Baking Stevia or Truvia to Taste,
    *1 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste,
    *5 Oz Cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt,
    3/4 Cups Plain Cream Cheese(1/3 less fat) ,
    *1 Tsp Unsweetened Almond Milk,
    *2 Tbsp. Agave,
    *1 Tbsp Brown Sugar.
  • TeeAnn06
    TeeAnn06 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bump
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Blend a steamed cauliflower-carrot mixture and a dash of vanilla with stevia sweetened warm water and spread on top of muffins. You could add espresso and cocoa powder for the chocolate version.
    Or, mix softened butter, confectioners sugar, espresso, cocoa powder and vanilla in a mixer for a butter creme chocolate version.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Depends on how much vanilla you added... Too much ruins recipes. Have you tried just low-fat or fat free cream cheese whipped with some vanilla extract (without the stevia)? Cream cheese icings are usually just cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Maybe you could add in some fat-free reddi whip with the cream cheese & vanilla to sweeten it up?

If it's real vanilla ^
    Imitation is much different and doesn't leave the same bitter alcohol taste.

But I actually suggest looking up an avocado or banana based frosting! Not necessarily low calorie, but much more nutritious and it's only 100 or so extra calories to work into your day!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    An easy frosting is meurange frosting. Just two ingredients: powdered egg whites and corn syrup. You whip the egg white and then mix in hot corn syrup (I heat it in the microwave). It is really fluff and glossy and doesn't need refrigeration. You might be able to find a cream cheese version. I don't know the calories. In sure it isn't the lowest, but better than regular frosting.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hi my mom used to take softened butter2T , and powdered sugar 1 cup and then add enough milk to get to the consistency you want. About 2 T, then vanilla. For this I would also add cinnamon or nutmeg. If too thin, then just add more powdered sugar.. Hope this works for you..
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower sweetened with stevia.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ashCHB
    ashCHB Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make the same muffins, but add chocolate chips. That way they're sweet enough & don't need frosting!

I use milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet because I'm a gluttonous piggie. :happy:
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I've been making a lot fo mason jar individual desserts lately and what i use as "whipped cream" is :
    30 grams egg white
    1-/8 1-/4 tsp cream of tartar
    2 tbsp Stevia/Splenda

BEat the egg whites and tartar until foamy then sprinkle the sweetener gradually, beat at high for about 3-5 minutes, voila! and less than 20 cals and makes a lot
  • picklelou
    Options
    You could try this Cottage Cheese topping as a base and maybe amend it to make it less topping more "frosting".
    It's from a recipie I found online for the MOST delicious Chocolate and PB Mug cake.
    It makes a single serve, so easy to work out for a batch :)

Whipped Banana Cottage Cheese

Ingredients:
    - ¼ cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    - 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk
    - ¼ of a Banana
    - ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    Directions:
    Blend all ingredients together until it becomes a whipped consistency.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Lite coolwhipemixed with cream cheese makes as nice sweet topping. Add powdered sugar to taste if it needs to be sweeter.