Dog Help

Options
HerkMeOff
HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
Help!

My dog and I moved to a new apartment last week. Where we were living, with my dad there were two other dogs.

We have been living here a week, and he hasn't even ate a whole bowl of food.

Any ideas?

I am sure he is stressed, but at what point should I be worried??

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    Options
    bump
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some wet food to make it more appealing?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Uh... A WEEK?! You need to get him to a vet ASAP!

Sounds like separation anxiety.
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

He's always ate the same dog food for 6 years...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Yeah but if you feed him dry food, the wet food may appeal to him more until get stops being sad.
  • HerkMeOff
    Options

Yeah but if you feed him dry food, the wet food may appeal to him more until get stops being sad.

Good point.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly the same, but when I got my rescue dog he wouldn't accept dry dog treats. He loves them now, but at the beginning we had to really entice him in order to get him to eat it; so we got him meat sticks instead. He just couldn't resist. Try adding in some richer foods, like was already suggested. Some wet dog food or boiled boneless chicken (raw is also fine for a dog, but it might be too much if your dog is used to only dry food). Your dog is probably just sad and lonely, and it's making him not eat (much like a depressed person might do). Luckily, a dog is ultimately ruled by its nose. Give him something he can't resist.
  • brandi797
    Options
    As a vet myself, I urge you to bring your dog in for evaluation and have bloodwork performed. Bring a fresh urine sample with you as well for a urinalysis.

Although major life changes can be stressful enough to cause a dog not to eat well, it is important not to ignore this sign as sometimes it is the earliest indication of a medical problem.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    He may be having trouble adjusting to the move. Mix a goodie in with his food, something that he especially loves. When we take our dog with us out of town, she may go 1 or 2 full days without eating. Dogs can get depressed. If you don't see any signs of illness, that could be the problem. Wouldn't hurt to see a Vet if he doesn't start eating soon.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If he wasn't eating at all, I'd worry. If he's just off his food a bit, it's likely because he's a little blue and there's no competition. If there are other dogs around, they eat faster and thus more. Or at least that's how my dogs have always been. Also, keep in mind that without other dogs to play with, he may be needing more exercise and without it may just be less hungry.
  • HerkMeOff
    Options
    If he wasn't eating at all, I'd worry. If he's just off his food a bit, it's likely because he's a little blue and there's no competition. If there are other dogs around, they eat faster and thus more. Or at least that's how my dogs have always been. Also, keep in mind that without other dogs to play with, he may be needing more exercise and without it may just be less hungry.

I have been walking him 3-4x a day.

He's eating...just VERY minimal.

& Other than eating less, his attitude is the same.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a cleanse? Maybe his body is working off toxins.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do you free feed? In other words, do you leave the food down all the time? If so, try leaving it down for a few minutes and then taking it back up if he doesn't eat. Also, measure it exactly so that you know how much he's actually eating. If you were free feeding multiple dogs, there's no way to know how much each dog was eating. Your dog might not be eating less than he was at all.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I moved into a new house last year, bringing two pups with me. Both of them had smaller appetites for about a week or so. Hubby and I ended up shifting flavors (we give them Blue) and that helped a lot.

If they are eating then they are fine...just not used to the new territory so have to adjust again. If there is a blanket or something you can put down under the bowl to help give the pup a familiar smell, that might help too.
  • robinerikson
    Options
    Yeah, some dogs are also experiencing a separation anxiety. Maybe your dog is, too. But, the best advice has already been given to you. Go to your vet. They absolutely know what's wrong with your dog. :)
  • HerkMeOff
    Options
    Yeah, some dogs are also experiencing a separation anxiety. Maybe your dog is, too. But, the best advice has already been given to you. Go to your vet. They absolutely know what's wrong with your dog. :)

Took him to vet today...nothing wrong with him...at all.