Hello

Options
Hello,

My name is Ashlea, and I just joined up. I always struggled to accurately keep tabs on what I was actually eating, so i think this will be a really good thing for me- it's so easy and i love the iPad app! :) I'm 24 i'm studying Industrial Design at uni and i hope to do postgraduate study and get into research.

I was healthy and fit once upon a time but over the last four years inactivity and over-indulgence and caused the weight to slowly creep on and now I'm stuck in this ridiculous rut. I think I actually thought I could get away with what I was doing, and that nothing would ever happen. This past year, school really took over my life and I ate a lot of takeaway out of convienience.
I don't really have any support from family or friends- they don't talk about it, it's like it's not there if no one mentions it which is hard.

Being overweight really affects my day-to day activites, I'm usually too embarrassed to go anywhere other than uni or the supermarket. The gym scares the hell out me. I cancel on people a lot. At uni I carry a second tote bag and i hold it in front of my stomach when I walk. I get picked on a lot, mostly in shopping centres. I tried to tell my Dad about it but he told me 'that's what happens to overweight people'.

I'm not exactly proud of where I have gotten myself to but I think I'm making some good choices now, and I want to turn my life around for the better. I want to start actually living my life :)

Replies

• megenj2001
    megenj2001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashlea! Welcome! This is a great place to have a community that actually cares if you lose the weight, and I don't know where I'd be today without it. Hang in there!
  • RieRie1
    RieRie1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome Aslea! You can do it
    if you fall off the horse, just dust yourself off and get right back on it! Its ok. Don't worry about those haters---you always have them around but I'm here to tell you ---YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Ladyborn
    Options
    Hi! I remember the days of being at college at eating all the foods that we knew were wrong but tasted so good. The freshmen 15 quickly became the freshmen 20-30. You can do this. We're all on this journey together. :)
  • ashbme
    Options
    Hi Ashlea. I'm very new to this as well. I'm excited about all of the tracking features on here. And already it seems like a strong supportive community! I feel so similar to what you said. Although I'm not making losing weight a New Year's resolution because my resolutions are quickly forgotten, I want 2011 to be a year when I am more comfortable being me and not restricted by my weight. Welcome!