I'm so discouraged

Options
I'm 34 days in. The first 10 days I lost 8 lbs, then stayed there for about 10 days, which was great, then started PMSing and gained 2-4 lbs back, not from eating more, just because. I'm just about done with my period and I still feel deformed and bloated and crappy, but I am feeling so discouraged. I haven't been tracking my calories very accurately the last few days but I haven't been eating that much. I am overestimating but truly not eating even 1,500 cals.

I know even albs in 30 days is good, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and that I won't keep losing any weight. That I can't lose weight without starving myself. I don't know. I won't stop counting and I won't stop trying, and today I got a water bottle so I can start drinking water. I'm just not feeling confident. I wish I could start moving and exercising but I feel so lethargic. I don't know if I'll ever lose more weight or feel good and strong. Right now it's hard to imagine.

Replies

• slimsoon2014
    Options
    I know its hard. But dont give up. Today is just a small bump in the road. Tomorrow is your day! Just dont write today off all together. Get it into your head that tomorrow you are going to do this!!!!
  • Logluc
    Logluc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! If you just had your period you are retaining water still. Give it a good week and you should see the scale settle right back down. Keep up the great work. Don't give up! You CAN do this!!!
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Remember to make healthy clean choices. I can send you a free list if you want. Just more ideas to help. Lots of water and find a program or exercise you love. I stepped on the scale today and I was shocked I weigh 130. I am in the best shape I have ever been in. I see my abs coming through. I am only 5ft. Remember don't judge the scale. Focus on making good choices. Go by how your clothes fit, and how you feel. That number does not matter!!!! Stay strong. Message me if you ever need any more help.:-)
  • krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If its been about a month would it fair to say your big loss happened to start coming off right around this time in your cycle? A lot of notice a big loss or our only loss after our period. Give it a couple of days, it will come.

Oh, and watch out for sales people on the forum. ????
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had lost 5 lbs and then when that time of the month came, I gained it all back. I was so frustrated but I kept tracking in MFP. A week after I lost the 5 lbs, as well as 2 more lbs.

We all have feelings of whether what we are doing is actually going to make a difference. It does though, and soon you will get that confidence as you continue to make progress.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    your cycle has a huge effect on your weight

i tend to stay stagnant or gain during my period, then lose more after, over the month it balances out

don't stress the day to day > log it and move on
    look at the longer trend
    try to log weight only once a week or so and look at it over a month preferably several to see the trend
    try to log other things too like measurements (which for me tend to go down while my weight is stagnant during my period) or photos

good luck with your journey
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am overestimating but truly not eating even 1,500 cals.

. I wish I could start moving and exercising but I feel so lethargic

This may be part of the problem. You lost 8 pounds in 10 days which is a huge shock to your system. Eat your calories and you should feel a bit more energy. Also make sure you are eating the right calories. 1,500 of doughmuts won't help.
  • Rugbynutter
    Rugbynutter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Only wish I could understand (just a simple man!) BUT what I do know is where are you are now is not where you will be when you finish.

Perhaps try and plot a date when you are mid-cycle and only weight yourself then? You then get some sort of consistency, I might be showing my ignorance.

I hope you feel better soon. Remember, if it were easy everybody would do it! You got this.

D
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is stop kicking yourself. This will be one of many stumbling blocks on your journey. You could either beat it or allow it to beat you. There will be good and bad days and weeks so expect it. The best thing to do is get back to tracking and give it another couple of weeks. Don’t worry about this week because TOM sucks and shouldn’t be use as any indication of your weight loss success or failure.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make little changes. Take your new water bottle and set a goal of how much water you want to drink every day.

Look at your diet and try to reduce the processed stuff, add more healthy stuff in.

Aim for feeling healthy and that will give you the energy to make more changes.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to fluctuate throughout the day and throughout the month, as you can see. Losing 8 lbs in the first week or so was probably mostly water weight, to be honest. Some days I fluctuate 2-3 lbs within a single day (which is a lot for me). Try not focusing so much on the scale - that is simply one measurement and it's not the most accurate one at that.

This is something you need to plan for a long journey. It took you a long time to get where you are and it's going to take a long time to get to your goals. It's just that simple. Try setting some mini-goals, like stepping stones, to get you where you want to be. Celebrate the small victories such as keeping to your work out schedule for the week, making positive healthy choices for dinner, etc. Those are important too, not just moving the scale. Start taking other measurements into consideration: your energy levels, take some measurements of your body and record them, see how your clothes fit you, etc.

This is a long road. Pace yourself.
  • allunits
    allunits Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The first thing you should do is stop kicking yourself.

^This. Please re-read your post. Can you feel the negativity in every sentence? You started off strong with losing 8 pounds but now blame your cycle and lack of confidence, lack of energy, etc, for not knowing if you can do this. Really?

I say this with kindness: go see your doctor and make sure there's nothing physical holding you back. Tell him/her what your goal is and ask for guidance on how to achieve it. Make sure you tell your doctor what you said here...that you're feeling overwhelmed, lethargic and unsure of how to go about this. Get the all clear from your doctor so you can move ahead with a real plan of attack.

Second, look for ways to empower yourself. Get a scale and weigh every morsel that goes into your mouth. Become fanatical about logging--make it your daily mission. Track and log your daily exercise even if it's just walking the dog for 15 minutes. Ask for help when you need answers--specific ones--like how much protein should I be eating each day or how do I do a squat correctly? I had to ask those questions and it's surprising how helpful people can be. And don't rely on one opinion. As you've seen on MFP, there's no one answer. Find your way, surround yourself with supportive people and you will succeed.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Awww, we all get discouraged sometimes. It's only been 5 weeks. But here's where it counts to set a goal. A short term goal. Move around (walk, dance, skip, run - anything!) for 30 minutes a day. 10 minutes 3 times a day will do as well - outside if possible. The thing we hate the most is usually what we need. Get some sunshine and keep the body moving.

Great advice here with all the other posts. Good luck.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You are discouraged....because you got your period...bloated a little and feel a little bloated still after it was gone? Did you try drinking water, working out, eating at a deficit and giving it time?
  • butterflies2127
    butterflies2127 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cheer up butter cup :flowerforyou: Personally, I've learned to avoid the scale around that time of the month and have actually chosen to weigh in once a month instead. Try not to make drastic changes or go to hardcore because that sets you up for failure. Baby steps beats running forward and then falling behind.
  • jordanhillis
    Options
    Fight through it and track your calories in/out religiously. Start with walking a mile each day and push it up from there. Good luck! :)
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is patience. Knowing that you're doing everything right (restricting calories reasonably, weighing food, exercising) and not seeing the desired results in a predictable fashion. But I guarantee if you string many good days together you will lose the fat. Your success depends on how long you do this for, not on how intensely you do it each day.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't really speak for the menstrual cycle issues, save to say if you haven't already I'd lower sodium intake, like cutting out soda pop and drink lots of water or green tea instead... but for the days I feel a little extra hungry...

I add lemon juice fresh squeezed or bottled to my water or tea, just enough to taste and not overpower, it takes a little practice.

The pectin fiber in the lemon I read somewhere helps temporarily curb your appetite. Whether placebo or real, it seems to work for me. It really helps me make it to that next meal sometimes on a busier than normal day where I don't get to eat at set times.

I'm slowly getting the hang of the foods I like, better ways to prepare them, and how they fit into a healthier diet that keeps me full. Just stick with it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, but I'll also offer this. When I am in PMS and on my cycle, I am my own worst enemy. I can't do a damned thing right. My hair falling to the wrong side can lead me almost to a nervous breakdown. Your entire post sounds to me the exactly kind of whiny, self-defeatist, the world is ending kind of inner voice I have spring up on of nowhere when I'm at this "blessed" time of month. My advice? Keep on with what you are doing (tracking, not guessing), and a couple days after old Aunt Flo is gone, check in and see how you feel. If you are anything like me, you will feel kind of silly for going off, thankful for people who took your concerns seriously and answered them, and rejuvenated by all the people pulling for you!

And to quote the annoying phrase always repeated - you didn't put all your weight off in a month, so stop beating yourself up for not losing it in that. The average weight lost per week is 0.5 pounds to 2.0 pounds, unless under specific medical guidance, so you are already ahead of the curve! Take it slow and easy... Biggest loser and shows like it set up unfair expectations for us.... Give yourself a break. Guilt, blame, and anger keep us from achieving our potential. Right now, letting all that go seems impossible. But it will be possible...just not yet. If you want to chat further, feel free to drop me a message or a friend request...

Best of luck to you!