Getting back on track

Options
So this past year, I've lost nearly 30 pounds. However, since I've been back in the States (came from Spain) I have been eating like crazy! Like a gotta have it, can't contain it eating frenzy (so it seems). Plus exercise outside is out of the question since I live in the Northeast and we are completely snowed in! I am getting back to school in 10 days (which means I have a free gym membership waiting for me) so I need to stop feeling like I will always feel this out on control. How do you all handle getting back on track after a week or so of being completely off plan? Do any of you feel like as soon as you hit a big weight loss goal you just go off track or am I the only one?!

Replies

• LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I, unfortunately, do the same thing. I convince myself that it won't hurt anything....but, alas, it does. I think it's something emotional about it.

Congratulations on losing the weight. Good luck in your continued weight loss journey. :)
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as well. Maybe consider it a "break" for your body, and get back into it with full force when you're ready.

In all honesty, I find that when I give myself a break and eat like crap for awhile (such as over the holidays), that once I get back on track, the weight comes off even faster. It's almost like you're breaking a plateau.

Good luck!
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ugh yes yes I do this exact same thing and sometimes it spirals to gaining some back =/ I was feeling really good about how I looked in like October so then during final exam season I kinda let myself go (and used the no time to cook excuse for ordering greasy foods every day). Then I ended up gaining some back =/
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do you have a tv and dvd player? I was against workout videos at first but you can find some good ones that you can do with body resistance and a couple sets of hand weights (check Amazon or even Target or Wal Mart) . I live in New York so I feel the bad weather thing, but you can get in a decent workout in your home
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking that a short "break" is good, it gets some of those cravings over with, and then the weight comes off easier when you get back going. But to get back going is the hardest part. For me, it takes one day or so of being very very strict with my eating and exercise, and then it's like, "Oh, okay, I'm used to this" and it gets much easier. That, and I ask myself, "is this food item worth the extra time on the elliptical/treadmill?" Usually, it isn't.
  • colestephens
    colestephens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I overcame many excuses by using P90X. If you've got a DVD player & some resistance bands...you've got a gym. I lost over 20 lbs in my living room. Even though I'm still a member of my gym, the extra 15-20 minutes it'd take to get ready, drive there & back, etc. was a barrier to working out.

Build in a recovery period and a cheat day. Keep things fresh with different workouts. Find folks to work out with. All of these are great ways to keep from falling off the fitness wagon.

[LINKS REMOVED - Please, no ads on the message boards]