loose/excess skin... help!

Sounds gross but... After having my lb I was left with excess/ loose scarred stomach skin. I am currently aiming to lose weight, or rather inches and I am doing a mix of cardio and freeweights lifting.
I just wondered if anybody has ever had this problem and if they had managed to combat it with exercise? Or should I realistically just give up hope on getting the firm body that I dream of?
Sounds silly but I am really self conscious about it and I hate having to dress to hide it :(((

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    The problem should correct itself with time ... to a degree. I am lucky myself my skin seems to be pretty elastic but even I have some ugly stretch marks that I know are probably never gonna go away. I will admit this is not really my area of expertise. My skin is one of the few areas where i seem to be quite blessed genetically. But from what I see the flabby hangy skin is a consequence of rapid weight loss. If it absolutely wont heal perhaps you should ... slow the weight loss down? I know I know perish the thought. I'm losing like 2-3lb a week here and I would be so pissed if I had your problem and had to do less than I could.
  • Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought that, so I have started a predominantly free weights only programme minus a 1 day per week cardio. I know they say it boosts your metabolosm faster than cardio but my thoughts were that if I eat right and eat enough and concentrate on lifting and building the shape and definition that I want, that maybe the process will slow down and be more like a gradual change from fat to muscle?
    Scars ar scars and a little tanning I should be ok, but it was just the little hang on my tummy I was worried about as it has been 18 months (I did go from a toned uk size 10 to size 16-18 in pregnancy between week 25 and 40 and then dropped to a 14 steaight away after bub.
    I just feel really self conscious as I used to LOOK like I belonged in a gym and now feel like I get funny looks like how the hell is a girl looking like that able to lift like that?
    Thanks
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Yeah I can imagine. Hmm now that you have said that the loose skin is post pregnancy I did a bit of googling and here are some reads that hopefully help. One thing of interest is it may be your diet that is preventing your skin from healing properly if it is too strict. Or deficient in something your skin needs.

http://voices.yahoo.com/loose-skin-after-pregnancy-five-ways-lose-flop-5831324.html?cat=69

I hope that helps you ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    You seems to be on par. Make sure you aim to get 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, heavy weight training, slow weight loss to maximize fat loss and muscle retention.. and the biggest components, time and genetics (elasticity of skin). But since you are 20 years old, that shouldn't be a huge issue.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    I'm starting to get some of that. After a 113 pound loss and 30+ years of being overweight/obese, I guess it's bound to happen. I'm actually surprised that it's not worse.

The younger you are, the easier it'll be to "bounce" back. But in a way, I guess I consider mine a "battle scar", you know? This weight loss thing has been the hardest fight of my life, in a life FILLED with adversity. Though it's not pretty, it's still part of me and it's a reminder that I never want to be that way ever again. Does that make sense?

If it really bothers you, cosmetic surgery will take care of it - but the scars will still be there. And you'll have to pay for it all yourself (most of the time). But it's doable.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Nivea Q10 Good bye Cellulite Serum! Works freakin wonders, not just for cellulite but for loose skin too. It seems to firm me up well, I have converted my sister and mam and they totally agree!