Peeing is so annoying!!

Options
So recently i've been trying really hard to increase my fluid intake and i'm still nowhere near the recommended levels but i have to pee all the time!!! Its soooo annoying, especially at work as i work in a hospital and so breaks are difficult.
My question is: Will my bladder get used to an increase in fluid intake?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? And who is defining the recommended levels. You really only need to drink as much water as you feel hydrated. Most of the "you have to drink xx cup or half your weight" are fitness myths.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    Mine did - I used to drink primarily coffee and diet coke...now I drink almost exclusively water...and that took me a while to get used to...I went from drinking maybe 3 glasses of water a day to drinking at least 10 but, most of the time 12-14 glasses of water a day (admittedly 3-4 glassess are during my workouts, but they still count :smile: )

It did take a couple of weeks for me to slow down my trips to the bathroom, but I would just start increasing your intake slowly and your body will adjust...

Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So recently i've been trying really hard to increase my fluid intake and i'm still nowhere near the recommended levels but i have to pee all the time!!! Its soooo annoying, especially at work as i work in a hospital and so breaks are difficult.
    Well if your going to the toilet too much your body doesn't want the water so drink less. Your body has a great way of regulating fluid called thirst
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well if your going to the toilet too much your body doesn't want the water so drink less. Your body has a great way of regulating fluid called thirst

I'm not too sure of that, I know someone who gets frequent bladder infections and her doctor has flat out told her she doesn't drink enough and could largely prevent the UTIs if she drank more, yet she constantly complains that she can't remember to drink enough and is never thirsty. I realize that one example doesn't "prove" anything but it does cast some question on the "you need to drink only when you're thirsty" argument, especially in light of the oft-touted "hunger is as poor indication of your body's NEEDS" advice seen on here - wouldn't thirst fall under the same umbrella?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    xVWCETe.png

Currently trying to re-condition my bladder.
    Yes, it's annoying, but I'd rather be properly hydrated. :flowerforyou:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I'm not too sure of that, I know someone who gets frequent bladder infections and her doctor has flat out told her she doesn't drink enough and could largely prevent the UTIs if she drank more, yet she constantly complains that she can't remember to drink enough and is never thirsty. I realize that one example doesn't "prove" anything but it does cast some question on the "you need to drink only when you're thirsty" argument, especially in light of the oft-touted "hunger is as poor indication of your body's NEEDS" advice seen on here - wouldn't thirst fall under the same umbrella?
    The question is then what is your friend drinking? She has to be drinking something, maybe it's not water.

Also comparing someone who is susceptible to frequent UTI's to a relatively healthy individual doesn't work. There are more reasons besides not drinking enough water that someone (primarily women) can suffer from UTI's.

Well with this particular friend there's a lot more going on health-wise than just the UTIs too, she's far from healthy but that's a whole other rant post I won't launch into! She drinks primarily strong coffee, generally 2-3 double or triple shot drinks a day, 16-20oz at a time. She definitely gets liquid but repeatedly tells me her doctor is on her back to drink more WATER (her doctor apparently subscribes to the "caffeinated drinks dehydrate you" theory - which I also don't generally buy but I wonder if when you put 3 shots of espresso into your drink if that much caffeine added would do the trick). I don't know really where I'm going with this it has just been on my mind since reading the OP here and especially fatdoob's reply.

Although to the OP I will say that at this point I drink between 6-10 liters of water a day and in the beginning I felt like I was in the bathroom every 15 minutes but now I pee at a much more manageable rate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

No it doesn't....

Thirst is an indicator you need fluid...not always water but fluid, if someone is thirsty they should drink something...

Lack of hunger indicates you have food not nutrients...which help with bodily functions and ensure you have energy etc.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to the increase in water, although it might take a few weeks. I find that if I cut myself off from water an hour or two before I need to do something that can't be interrupted with bathroom breaks. I also don't drink water an hour before bed.

Are you drinking a lot of coffee, tea, or energy drinks? If you are, they could be causing your frequent bathroom breaks moreso than the water.