How do you undo a bad week?

Options
This past week I have eaten badly almost everyday. I had maybe two good days. I have been so stressed with work and other personal issues that I turn to food, only after promising myself I wont. I am so scared and angry with myself. I lost over 150 pounds 6 years ago, and in just a month have put on 5 pounds. I don't want to go back the old unhealthy me. How can I get back on the wagon?

please don't lecture me, if you want to talk to me privately message me. I'd love to hear anyone's advise.

Replies

• krispy1982
    krispy1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think all you can really do is start a new week. That and be proud of yourself for recognizing what the problem is and trying to nip it in the bud right away. Can you try something small? Like challenge yourself to drink a cold glass of water and go for a short walk when you're ready to grab some chips? The walk will probably clear your head and if you're still hungry after the glass of water then eat up! Try for even one alternative a day and then whole days and before you know it you'll be back on track!

Oh! Way to go on the 10 lbs! !
  • whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    I think all you can really do is start a new week. That and be proud of yourself for recognizing what the problem is and trying to nip it in the bud right away. Can you try something small? Like challenge yourself to drink a cold glass of water and go for a short walk when you're ready to grab some chips? The walk will probably clear your head and if you're still hungry after the glass of water then eat up! Try for even one alternative a day and then whole days and before you know it you'll be back on track!

Oh! Way to go on the 10 lbs! !

Thank you, and I hope starting tomorrow and the rest of the week I get myself back on track. I've been telling myself I need to get out of the house when I want to eat.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is not let a bad week turn into a bad month. Don't worry about it too much but get back at what you know works. I mean if you can loss 150, you obviously have found something that works!
  • whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    The only thing you can do is not let a bad week turn into a bad month. Don't worry about it too much but get back at what you know works. I mean if you can loss 150, you obviously have found something that works!

I know exactly what I need to do but this past week, no month it's all gone down the drain =(
  • californiabella
    Options
    simply, you can try adjusting your perspective on this issue. you need to believe you are going to succeed otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure. not a lecture-- just the truth. you can't dwell on what you can't undo, but you can move on and improve to be a better you a day at a time.
  • whisperfitandhealthy
    Options
    simply, you can try adjusting your perspective on this issue. you need to believe you are going to succeed otherwise you're setting yourself up for failure. not a lecture-- just the truth. you can't dwell on what you can't undo, but you can move on and improve to be a better you a day at a time.

You are right, I need to think positive and tell myself I will get back on track and stay healthy.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to abandon the mindset of "good" and "bad" days. You try your best each day and that is a success in itself.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it - log it and move on - you can't change it > so don't stress it.

It was a holiday week, I ate more chocolate, drank more wine and did less excercise than i would usually - you know what it was worth it.
    The way i see it - this isn't a diet, this is a life long journey, with ups and downs, you gotta eat what you like and enjoy yourself too.

good luck with the next steps
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    . What's done is done ... Just kick start your plan .
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I never try to undo such "damage". I think a knee jerk response is to cut back but that is more likely to result in "sod-it" syndrome and so the headf*ck cycle continues.

Either do what you usually do (I'm not sure if you're maintaining or losing right now) and wait to see if the gain is real or set a small deficit (I use 250cals max) and gently rein it back in. If you cut back hard you'll cave in again and that's just soooo bad for your head and your head is key in this battle.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You can't change the past and you cannot undo what you have done. All you can do is forgive yourself and make the decision to do better today.

If you accurately logged your excesses, then you know how many extra calories you consumed. For example if you ate an extra 4000 calories, you could cut back by 250 calories per day for 16 days to have a 4000 calorie deficit. If you don't know how many extra you consumed, then just eat at a moderate deficit of 250 calories per day until you have lost what you have gained.

As someone who has lost and regained large amounts of weight in the past, I have a fear of putting the weight back on this time too. I've promised myself that even after I reach my goal weight I will weigh myself weekly, and if I go up 5 lbs from my goal, then I will go back to eating at a small deficit until I go back down to goal. I've talked to people who have never had a weight problem and they seem to do this naturally. They 'know' when they've put on a few pounds and then make small dietary changes (no desserts or more salads) until they are back to normal. I think this is a much healthier pattern than the yo-yo dieting I have done in the past.

You have been very successful in losing weight and that is an amazing accomplishment. Use those same skills you learned while losing to help you maintain.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off MFP for years now, but only last year did I start to understand that having a bad day or week does not mean I have failed and give up.
    I used to be really good and strict for about 2 weeks and then as soon as I have a bad day, I would feel bad and angry at myself and stop logging. The trick is to keep logging and trying to stick to your calories the next day. Don't try and make up for the bad week by eating less than your goal, just stick to your goal for as long as possible. Bad days and weeks are inevitable, but don't let them get you down.
    In time, you will see results, despite those bad days and weeks if you keep at it and go right back to logging and tracking after the bad day/week.
    Check out my thread about Easter binges on the 'Food and Nutrition' page. I have had a really bad weekend myself, but you have to shrug it off and start fresh the next day. As long as you keep at it and keep trying to stick to your goal, you will see results and it will get easier to stick to your goal as you get used to your calorie limit.
    Don't feel too bad, happens to all of us! :)

Good luck!!! :) xxx
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    This past week I have eaten badly almost everyday. I had maybe two good days. I have been so stressed with work and other personal issues that I turn to food, only after promising myself I wont. I am so scared and angry with myself. I lost over 150 pounds 6 years ago, and in just a month have put on 5 pounds. I don't want to go back the old unhealthy me. How can I get back on the wagon?

please don't lecture me, if you want to talk to me privately message me. I'd love to hear anyone's advise.

Simple - forget last week, that's been and gone you're not going to change that. Just start again from today.

Don't beat yourself up when you have the slip ups. Accept that they will happen from time to time (but they are nothing more than slip ups).
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

You've lost 150 pounds and gained back 5. Think of it this way: If you were playing a sport the score would be 150 to 5. You're still winning! Just regroup.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Get back on track today. Commit to ONE day. Get a little exercise. You'll feel accomplished enough to forget last week.
  • TeresaGoal145lbs
    TeresaGoal145lbs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well you can't undo a bad week. Just start fresh, accept that you were off...and it's okay to be off every now and again;) Just get back in the saddle and start fresh. I ate poorly this Easter weekend...and was feeling down about it too for a minute..but realized I need to just start fresh. Good luck!